title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Big Project

Today's high temperature was:12
Sunny and bright

==============================
I woke up at 7:00 with such a stiff neck and back.  I must have slept tensed up all night.  I felt so groggy.

The phone call came at 8:30 that the installation guys were on their way.  I asked if they were bringing a big truck and the kid said, "Yes."

So--out into the 2 degree temperature I went and moved my car over into Jackie's driveway.  She is away until March 11th, so I wouldn't be in her way today.





I went to the door when the guys arrived, they got out of the box truck and we all started smiling.  "Hey, we saw you up at the gas station yesterday!"

"Yep.  I told you guys I'd probably be seeing you again and....here you are."

"Sorry it's under these circumstance--that you have to get a new furnace."

"Yeah--me too!  Come on in, I've cleared a path for you to get through the house easier."

Sean and Blake--nice young men in their mid-twenties.  They got right to work.  Told me to relax and they'd take care of everything.  They laid big long heavy drop cloths down and proceeded to get busy.  I stayed in the den and played games on Face Book.

Out with the old 

in with the new

By the time they left of lunch at 11:30, it was getting kind of cold in here--65.  I turned on the electric heater they left with me.

This may be why.  A hole all the way up through the roof.

Blake headed up to the roof to take out the old and put in the new vent.


I went in and asked Sean all sorts of questions.
"Where's the draft motor?"
"Where is the filter?"
"Is there a fresh air intake?"
He answered them all and showed me parts
I hadn't even asked about.


4:00, they are gone and here is my pretty.
Isn't it gorgeous?  All shiny and new.
Half the size of the old one and...I have had
to turn down the thermostat because
73--my normal setting, seems too warm.



It was a very pleasant experience having these two young men in my home.  

Now--I am all set for Polar Vortex #4, which will come in tomorrow and Friday with a vengeance.  

I have heard from three friends on Face Book that have had to replace their furnaces this year.  One is getting her new one--just like mine--tomorrow morning.

It's been a cruel weather, BUT--I am thankful I have my new roof with the special shingles because, we are having ice dam problems on roofs in this park--one had a cave in from weight on the roof, another one lost her entire car port and patio covering from snow weight.  Apparently, these people do not know about the packets of calcium chloride you can get and throw up on the roof to melt the ice and snow--OR a pair of panty hose filled with the calcium chloride, thrown up on the roof works just as well.

Perhaps I should give lectures up at the club house on home maintenance?



7 comments:

  1. Here on the other side of the state you can't find a store that has calcium chloride for sale. Every night on the news there is a story of another cave in. I can't wait until spring! It's snowing like crazy out there now.

    With all you know how to do, you really could give lectures on cleaning and maintenance!

    Glad you are warm again. How did the cat fare in the cold. From what I remember, they always want the warmest place in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're all cozy and warm again. Isn't it amazing how much smaller that unit is?

    When I watched the weather this morning it looked like Michigan was in for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always nice when you get good service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I think you should give lectures because you are very smart, seriously you are. You could charge, and help pay for that new furnace which I am so glad it's in there now. I bet you'll save money on the electric bill now.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see you giving lectures on home maintenance! What a hoot. I'm just picturing the questions Pearl would call with after you did the lecture. Too funny - this may be an idea for a book you could write -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad all went well replacing your furnace , looks like the guys were good about being clean too! I have realized this cold winter there are things i need to do before next winter.. Always something.. Enjoy your evening judy

    ReplyDelete