title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, February 28, 2014

ROAR!!

Today's high temperature was: 13 degrees
Last night's low was: -12
Sunny all day
===============================

Everyone complains about the unusual cold temperatures and the unusual amount of snow, but you know what?  We have had a lot of sunny days so far this year.  February is usually grey and depressing, but this year, I think we have had a lot of sun, so...the month didn't really feel all that bad to me.

Tomorrow, March 1st, is going to come in roaring--we are expecting another big snow--all the way from Kansas to Massachusetts!  Get ready!

I got up early this morning--well 8:00--turned on the dishwasher, did a load of laundry, put my roast in the crock-pot and filled up the humidifier with water. (good thing).

At 10:00, my phone rang and it was Dar..yelling and in a panic.

"I DON'T HAVE ANY WATER!! DO YOU THINK I HAVE A FROZEN PIPE?  OHMYGOD--I WAS NAKED AND ABOUT TO CLIMB IN THE SHOWER AND THERE WAS NO WATER!!  DO YOU HAVE WATER?"

"Hold on a minute and I will check to see if I have water.  I know I did about an hour ago.  Hold on..."

"WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?  I WAS NAKED AND ABOUT TO CLIMB..."

"DAR...HOLD ON A MINUTE!"

I walked out into the kitchen and turned on the faucet--nothing.  "I don't have water either.  The park may have had a water main break."

"OHMYGOD!!  I AM GOING TO CALL THE OFFICE AND TELL THEM---I NEED WATER!"

...and she hung up.

Three minutes later...

"We have a huge water main break under the main drive way.  They say we might be without water until this afternoon!  What am I going to do?"

"You have bottled water to drink, right?  You can get a bucket, go out, fill it with snow and set it on your heat register to melt so you have some to flush with."

"NO!! I HAVE TO TAKE A SHOWER AND WASH MY HAIR!"

"Well...I guess you can't until they get the main fixed.  Be grateful that you weren't all soaped up and had a head full of shampoo."

"I guess."

She hung up.

Five minutes later....

"I'm going to the beauty salon to get my hair washed and I am taking a towel and some soap and use their restroom to wash up in!"  
Then she laughs that annoying Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck laugh!!

<I just don't know>
=========================
I was still hearing that weird noise from behind the couch this morning.  It sort of sounded like a clunk.  I knew there was an electrical outlet back there and a heat register.  I wondered if when the thermostat turned on it would make a noise in the outlet, but then realized, that could not be as the thermostat is wired directly to the furnace--it does not run on any other electrical wires.

I moved the couch out a bit, climbed on the couch and looked over the top down to the floor.  There was the heat register with the deflector in place, to direct the heat out from under the couch.  Just then the thermostat clicked and soon the furnace blower came on and "clunk"--one of the vanes in the register is broken on one end and it moved.  I figure that because I now have a more powerful blower motor, when it comes on, the force of the air moves that vane and it makes a noise.  So---I need a new register.  

Problem solved!!
=================================
Jackie (who lives in the blue house across the street) is in Florida until March 11th.  I didn't know this, but last week Pearl told me.  Jackie called me around noon and said that Pearl had been calling and leaving messages on her phone--wanting to know if she was all right..that Pearl hadn't seen her drive out of her driveway in a week and she was worried.  ????

Jackie asked me to call Pearl and I said I would.  I called Pearl and told her that Jackie was in Florida until March 11th and that she was doing fine.  Had received Pearl's phone messages.

Pearl said, "Well I know that!"

"Yeah you were the one who told me.  But...why did you call her and leave a message?"

"I picked up the phone and dialed her number and then I remembered."

"Well...why did you leave a message?"

"Because I didn't want her to see my name on her phone and wonder, so I left a message asking her if she was all right."

"Okay--well she will be back on the 11th."

"Okay."

<I just don't know>.
=========================
I had an appointment with the Chiropractor this afternoon.  I wasn't hurting a bit---until after I got out of there, LOL.  Deep tissue massage can be really painful, BUT I know I will feel great for a few weeks anyway.  I go twice a month now and plan in April to only go once a month---for maintenance!

When I came home I noticed the water main repair trucks were leaving.  While I had my coat on, I filled all the bird feeders, came in the house, and there was water to wash my hands.

All is well with the world--until another Dar crisis.
=========================
Pearl called me back this afternoon, just to let me know she didn't win the PCH contest.  

"I didn't either," I said.  "And--I really could have used a dozen roses to brighten my mood."

She seemed quite depressed about it.  To think of all the money she spent buying their products--you'd think they could have sent her a hundred dollars.  The man who won, lives in Oklahoma, has 6 children and has been cancer free for five years.  His picture looks like he is a farmer--just an average person--I am so glad for the family!
=====================

Pearl's birthday is tomorrow and I have made a HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign that I am going to tape in my bathroom window tonight when I go to bed.  That way, in the morning, when she opens her bedroom blind, she will see it.  Hee Hee Hee

Also, tomorrow, going to grand daughter Madeleine's band competition.  This will be the last one for her and me, as she is a senior.  <sniff>

8 comments:

  1. judy you sure do have some interesting neighbors! stay warm honey, i know you will with that new furnace. my a/c is still out but it's cool enough that i am okay.

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a terrible winter for water issues---both in the streets and in houses. Glad you got yours back on fairly quickly.

    Love your birthday sign idea. Very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Judy. Just wanted to let you know I am reading your posts. I especially enjoy your "problem solved" approach to things! You are an inspiration. And how blessed you are to have Dar to be amused, baffled, or stumped by! Ann in IL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to have some interesting days with those neighbors! Im sure Dar will get a kick out of your birthday sign! Enjoy your day Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the greatest solver of mysteries....could catch on the noise behind the couch. Those things would drive me crazy, too.
    We are bracing for that big storm to come flying through here, too and we are now up to 10" promised. Everything is ready. I am at LM's house with He and Ms G.
    We had some fun watching her with catnip this morning....big entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also in awe of your problem solving skills!
    Oh, that Dar. OH!!! Lordy mercy.

    I didn't realize that Pearl lives next door to you. I hope she had a Happy Birthday!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like things are going well in your neighborhood. The idea you left on my blog about what you are going to do for Lent is such a great idea. You do so many nice things for others...I don't know how you could do more.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your neighbors are a riot. H keeps telling me if we move to a community that has more older people, we will have funny neighbors like Judy. :) Our neighborhood is all young people.

    I love how you figure everything out and then solve the issue. You are such an investigator and problem solver. You would have been a great wife for Thomas Edison or Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete