title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Rainy Monday

The high temperature today was:  74
The humidity today was:  87% !!!
Rainy all morning-61 degrees.
Then sun came out and it soared up into the high 70's.
Record heat wave coming tomorrow.
===========================
I didn't wake up in time to get to church yesterday.  Perhaps because, yesterday was Grandparents Day and they were doing something special for all grandparents and.............I am missing my four youngest grandchildren?  Was it some subconscious thought that made me turn off the alarm and roll over and go back to sleep?

I really needed to leave here and go out to find some solitude and peace.  I drove up to my hometown and into the cemetery, to find the new grave of a friend who died last week.  Found it--near my step-mother's grave.  Talk about solitude--cemeteries are the best for that.  No noise--no one chatting--peace.  Then I stopped over at "my" cemetery--nice there too.



Drove on over to The Farm to visit my sister. They are getting new siding put on.  The vinyl composite material the contractor used to make the gingerbread looks wonderful!!!  He took off the old gingerbread and made a template.  This place is going to look better then the original house, when it is done.

The only problem I can see--the new siding is not as wide as the old, but....it matches their new addition.


This is a collage I am working on.  Pictures of The Farm, before they started tearing down old buildings and adding on.  I want to print it out and put in an 8x10 frame for my sister.

Chuck had taken down shutters and the shutter holders.  The holders were covered with years and  years of white paint.  He was trying to sand the paint off them.  I suggested he put them in a can of gasoline, let them set and then scrape the paint off.  They turned out nice and clean and then he painted them with an old dark, brass color.  They look a "new" hundred years old.  They were putting shutters back up yesterday, so I didn't stay long.

My main reason for stopping in, was to pick up a quilt (that my great grandmother had made), for Karen's second daughter, Susanna.  She and her hubby are coming into Michigan next weekend.  Susan had enough of great grandma's quilt's to give to my three daughters and the four grand daughter's.  She asked if I wanted one, but I turned her down.  I said, "I don't need one.  It will just come back to you when I die, in a few years, so give mine to one of the kids."  I had two of my great grandmother's quilts at one time.  They aren't beautiful, like the one women make nowadays.  They were made for function.  I used them to lay outside on and get a tan.  My kids used them to drag around the yard to make tents, or on the beach, or thrown over something to keep paint off it.  When they got worn out and raggy, I threw them away.  No big deal.  <gasp>

Stopped in to visit with Pammie (remember--she only lives 1/2 mile east of The Farm) and on my way, noticed that someone is living in the Little House on the Corner--that is a good thing.  Now I know for sure, that will not be my home.

Pammie is hyper with happiness.  She talked a mile a minute!!!!!  It sure was nice to walk into "my" house and see it cleared of all of The Idiot's junk, sit down in "my" living room and just chat and laugh and relax with my daughter.  I gave her Fred's leather recliner and she let me sit in it.  I felt like his arms were around me.  She and Fred had a special relationship and she just loves his chair!
===============

Got home around five, ate some supper and watched the end of the Tiger's baseball game.  Really nice day back home
==========================================================
I have a really weird, strange and spooky thing happen here.  I have a pair of leather, rubber soled moccasins that I purchased in St. Ignace (town north of the Mackinaw Bridge) 15 years ago.  They have become worn and loose.  I only slip them on when I need to run out to get mail, take out or bring in the garbage cans.  Saturday, when I vacuumed, I put them and my sneakers back on the rug by the front door.  I was gone most of yesterday afternoon.  This morning, when the mail lady came, I was going out to get my mail.  It was raining and I went over to slip into my mocs and they were gone!  I figured I had worn them in the house somewhere so I went into the computer room--nope.  The living room over by my chair--nope.  The kitchen--nope.  The bathroom--nope and finally the bedroom--nope.

Now, I was getting a bit concerned.  I checked every closet.  I checked under every piece of furniture.  I opened up every cupboard, even opened the dishwasher.  No moccasins.  Then I went out and looked in the garbage pail, in my garden shed--even in the trunk of my car--no moccasins.

How can that be?  They are too heavy for Maggie to drag and hide somewhere, but I went back and looked under the bed, dresser, chest of drawers, couch--anywhere I could think of--no mocs.

It is a mystery.  I can't believe that someone would open my house, take the mocs and leave?  Why not take the computer--TV--money laying out on my counter?  Makes no sense, but they are no where to be found!
==============================

I have written before about the age differences of my children.  I just found an old Christmas card that shows that pretty well.  We always sent out picture Christmas Cards.  This is from 1972.
Mark, almost 15.  Jennifer 1, Pamela 13, Karen 11.

=======================================
.


5 comments:

  1. I hate when something is missing! I lost my car keys recently and it took me a half hour to find them. They turned up behind the toaster! Thinking back I know how they got there. It will be the same when you when you find your moccasins.

    Glad you had a good day back "home".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It drives me crazy when something is missing! I'm curious to see if they ever show up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really nice collage you're making for
    your sister. She'll love it, I'm sure.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the places you checked for your moccasins cracked me up. In the trunk of your car?!! I guess it's important to cover all bases! I imagine they'll magically appear somewhere.

    The new gingerbread on the house looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that the new "gingerbread" could be made of durable material...they did a great job.
    I was wondering if you happened to place something on top of the mocs and then pick it all up together?? Hope they turn up....do let us know. That sort of mystery drives me crazy.

    Great job on the collage. Looks like a lot of work but you put such love in to those family gifts. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete