title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Book

Click on the photos to see better



The tree on the cover of my family story book stands just west of the house where my sister now lives.  We always called it the Walts Family Tree.  A giant Oak--the oldest in the township, over 250 years old.  I found the saying under it on-line and I thought it was perfect.  Thankfully, we have many pictures of this fine tree because an ice storm in 2013, took half of it down and a high wind storm in 2014 took down the rest.  It was a sad for all of us, to see that tree gone.


 My introduction page
 Starting out with the oldest ancestor on my Father's side of the family and a map from where they lived..

The county they settled in New York--plus on the right, their names and their children with our direct ancestor designated by a *


A township  map showing their farms


Pictures and the story of the ones who moved to Michigan and bought the farm where Susan now lives.


and of course photos of then and now--




 Of course, I traced back the women in my family and that is how I found out we are related to Thorton Wilder and Almonzo Wilder (Laura Ingalls Wilder)

 and I made notations in italics--like these---

and to write about what was happening in the world at times in our lives

 and things that happened on the farm

and of course, headstones--just in case, 75 years from now, some great, great grandchild wants to go visit.




















````````````````````````````````````
I wanted to do this because, even though Susan remembers our great grandmother, she was 4 when Sophia died.  I am the last remaining descendant to remember the "elders" and the stories they told me about their younger lives. To remember out parents when they were young and hear the stories my Mother told me of their dating and early married years.

 I wanted my kids and grand kids to have those family stories and not just the factual dates; of birth, death and where they settled.

Now--if I can just live long enough to get this put together and give it at Christmas--I will have accomplished what I intended.

7 comments:

  1. Something I did in my family book that you might want to consider is a page listing all the names of the your descendants, no matter how young they are. It will help in 100 years for someone to glance at that page and decide if they are related to those people you wrote about. I put my page right in the front ending the list with "and any babies born to the above." Once people don't carry the family name it can get confusing for future generations to see a tie-in and they could dismiss the book without even looking. (Since I don't have any descendants, I listed my brothers kids, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.)

    Your book turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I can't wait to learn from you on how to find such stuff! So far back! I'm just getting started....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!I'm sure future generations will appreciate all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, such a treasure you've created for your family. I'm in awe! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Judith! What a Wonderful thing you've done....and I'm seriously in love with that house!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful work of love, Judy. Your kids and grands will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete