title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, July 3, 2015

Cool.

The Farmer's Almanac foretold of a cool summer for the Midwest, including Michigan, and sure enough.  How does 49-50 degree night and morning temperatures sound?  I sleep with the bedroom window open and had to switch over to the "heat" setting on my thermostat, just to take off the chill so I could take my shower.

On the other hand, I just love the temps in the 60's to mid 70's all day.  My kind of weather!!

I was running on $1.66 in my checking account and the Fur Kids only had one can of wet food left and my prescription was ready and I had one pill left here.

I checked my bank account this morning and THANK YOU, LORD, Social Security hit a day early!!  I was off and running--at 2:00.  Up to Howell, with stops at the gas station, bank, Wal-Mart (to pick up prescription) Tractor Supply (for cheap bird seed, which was on sale--SCORE).  

Then drove past my place and on to Brighton.  Cartridge World to get more inkjets, VG's (the Rich Peoples store) for two deli salads,  Grand Traverse Pie Company (pure impulse for a slice of pie for supper), Michaels, and Aldi's--hunting for the elusive Finish POWDER dishwasher detergent.

The traffic in Brighton was awful--which is normal for that time of day, but the driver's there are so polite--they will stop and let you out of side streets, malls, etc.

All that and I forgot to drop off my rent check on the way out and the way back in to the park.  DUH!!
============================
I called John when I got home and said, "I need your help, when you have time.  I've got two bags of bird seed in the trunk."

"Okay--give me an hour and I'll come over."
<an hour?>

Ten minutes later, Merle came riding by on his bike, saw my car trunk open and came up to the door and offered to get the bags out and fill up the bird seed can.

Okey Dokey!

Then I called John back.

"I don't need you any more."

"You aren't the first woman I've heard that from!"

I almost fell into the trap, about to say, "No.  I DO need you..." but I quickly gained my senses and said,

"I mean I don't need your help with the bird seed."

"Okay."

"Thanks, John.  See ya later."

Bahda Boom, Bahda Bing!
==========================
Merle is really not well.  He had every test imaginable last fall and just got done with more.  Not one single thing wrong with him, that can be seen in a CAT scan, or an MRI or stress test or Echo Cardiogram or Ultra sound of his innards, plus a Colonoscopy just for good measure, and a sleep apnea test, overnight.  He doesn't have high blood pressure or cholesterol.  Nothing is wrong anywhere.  He is just weak, kind of quiet and not the jokester he used to be and he sleeps all the time. 

 Kind of sad.  Pearl has just given up on him.  Personally, I think he needs to quit work and be 
prescribed a nice, mild anti-depressant.  But that's just Dr. Judy's  observation.
===========================
As I noted earlier,  I cannot find Finish POWDER for the dishwasher!  The repair guy  told me to use only Finish in the dishwasher, but not the Pods.  Nobody around here sells the powder anymore.  I want it!!!  

Plus, the powder is said to be a really great detergent to use in the washer for the white clothes--it gets the yellowing out.  I need that!  

Our water here is full of rust/calcium/lime.  My once beautiful white sheets are now beige--as are most of my white shirts and pants.

I see that I can order it on Amazon, which seems weird, but I just might have too.  Get a few month's supply or something.
======================
I have completed the blanket I was crocheting as a test, for my friend Chrissy.  It turned out quite nice and not too heavy, as I had feared.  I have washed it very delicately (just to get all the cat hair out of it), dried it, very gently, and have it folded, rolled and stored in a nice plastic bag.  I like her pattern and think it might work up really well, using a baby yarn and a size E hook, for a baby afghan.  I just may try it to see what it looks like.
===========================  
John called at 9:00 tonight.

"How are your mosquitoes?"

"My mosquitoes?  Fine I guess.  Why?"

"They are terrible here.  I took Maisey out for her bedtime walk and I got eaten up alive!"

"Well John...your back yard is by the swale.  Of course there are going to be skeeters back there.  Why didn't you walk her down the street?"

"'Cause they are terrible.  Every where!"

"I just came in from sitting out on my front porch and I didn't see or hear one mosquito.  Of course, I wasn't out walking in the grass to stir them up."

"I'm itching to death here!  I've got bites all over my arms and neck and even down my legs!  How did they get up, inside my pants?"

"Because, you were walking around, stirring them up out of the grass!  Anyway--do you have any Calamine lotion to put on?  You know...that pink stuff people use for poison ivy?"

"No.  I don't know what to do.  The itching is driving me nuts."
<Geez Louise>

"Do you have any kind of lotion?  Go look in your bathroom cabinet, or...you could make a paste out of baking soda and water and spread that on the bites."

"Baking powder?"

"No!  Baking SODA.  The kind in the orangeish box with the arm and hammer thingy on the front."
<good grief>

"Just a minute..."

I hear him walking around.

"I just found some kind of salve or something in the medicine cabinet.  It says, 'Cortisone Cream'."

"Okay.  That should work.  Try it and see.  It might take half an hour, but it should work. If you are still itching by bedtime...do you have any allergy medicine.  Like Benedryl or something like that?"

"Yes.  I have Claratin.  I'll try that.  It makes me sleepy too.  Okay.  Thanks.  We'll talk tomorrow."
=================
This and several instances have shown me that John is not the smartest egg in the Baker's Dozen children his parents had.  Either the gene pool was thin by the time he was conceived, #7, or....it's his Polish heritage.
<wow, how many people did I offend with those last two words?>

This goes to prove one thing--men need to be married, or at least have a woman around to take care of them.  As I have said before, men are the weirdest animals I have ever known! 




3 comments:

  1. John probably could have figured that stuff out but it's easier to call a woman and maybe it was just an excuse to talk to you. LOL He needs to pick up one of those personal mosquitoes repellant "fans" you clip on your belt before he goes outside in the evening. I've got one on my grocery list because I get the same thing with my evening walk with Levi.

    That's really sad about Merle. And I'll bet you're right about what he needed. Working at his age would be depressing and being at home with someone whose mental state is declining is depressing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, I was thinking the same thing about Merle. I think he probably needs exactly what Dr. Judy prescribed. It sounds like he could be depressed, and no wonder. Are they financially able for him to quit working?

    Jean is right about John. I think he likes to talk to you. Aren't you the lucky girl? :)

    I'm going to put one of those personal mosquitoes repellant fans on my grocery list right now. Never heard of them. I'm always the last to know.... kinda like John. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear this about Merle; it definitely sounds like deep depression to me also. Yes, John? He's a man, what can I say? :)

    Glad your SS came early, Judy.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete