title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Guatemala Trip Winding Down




Susanna and Madeleine


                Maddie, Susanna and Dad




The one-room homes in Guatemala usually don't have cooking stoves.  The women cook over a fire-pit in the middle of the floor and all the smoke stays inside the home.  Not good.  
The kids built a ventilated stove for this single mother and her son.
No doubt, she will be the envy of the entire town. 

I like to think that maybe my
contribution to their project
paid for this stove. :-)
Karen and Mark have sponsored a boy (Francisco, standing by Karen) for the last 10 years.  When they got to Guatemala, they realized he lived only a couple hours away from where they were working.  Yesterday, they drove over to meet him and his family and bought them all a Coke.  The family does not speak any Spanish dialect that the interpreter understood, but after a soda and a game of throwing a Frisbee around, they seemed to have a good time.  Love has no language barriers!


Just a personal note here--in my opinion, I think it would have been wise for Karen to present the Momma with a life-time supply of birth control pills!!!!!  Nine people in a one room dwelling?



Aren't they adorable? 
My little brown-eyed girl having fun with the other little brown-eyed kids.
I think they like her!






Mark playing some sort of Frisbee baseball with the kids

==========================
Doctor's appointment with my primary guy this morning.  He walks in the room, "Hi Babe!"  (??)

"Hi Doc."

"I was just thinking about you this morning.  You were my first patient when I started this practice."

"Yeah.  How long now.  Seven years?"

"I think eight or nine."

"Time goes fast doesn't it?"

and then I once again complained about my low pulse rate--I have been complaining about it for over a year and he said to lower my one BP med and come back next Tuesday.  Then I happened to mention that I worried about my Potassium being low and so he decided I needed a blood draw.

When will I learn to just shut up?

So, Nurse Jane Fuzzy Wuzzy comes in and tried to find a spot on my inner arm that didn't have a hole in it from the IV's, and then my blood didn't want to flow out very fast, so it took forever!  Come to find out, she graduated with and knows my grandson Stephen.  She is sweet and I think he needs to get to know her better.  :-)

Then, on to the dermatologist this afternoon--no big deal, right?  AHA, he finds some sort of spot on the back of my right calf and I have another needle stuck in me to numb the area and it hurt like heck.  He had to take a small slice to send off for a biopsy!!  Never had a thing like that ever before.  To make the visit there worthwhile, he DID freeze a couple of age spots on my face so I will look better.  BUT, I have to go back in a month!

GEEZ LOUISE!  I wanted to get all these doctor appointments taken care of the first part of this year and now...I have to go back for repeat visits.  

I'm almost afraid to go to the ophthalmologist, he will probably tell me I gotta have cataract surgery!!!

Tomorrow the Chiropractor--hope he doesn't have some sort of needle injection in mind!!
==================
Saw this:













Sprayed with this:

He came back--took one taste, jumped off the feeder and hasn't been back.  AHA!!

7 comments:

  1. The homes the build, does that work like Homes for Habitat where the owners have to donate so many hours working on someone else's house before they get one built for them? What a wonderful experience for your family. I'm with you on the birth control thing, though.

    Better the blood draws than to get sick. I don't mind doing the follow up appointments this time of the year. It's in the fall where you get pushed too close to the snow flying that frequents me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sun spots on the left side of my face from going back and forth to Dad's. The sun shins in the window on my side of the car on the way down in the morning and all the way back in the afternoon. It's relentless. I have one of those window covers that helps but it can't quite block all of the sun.

    Sorry you have followups. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need some "Coles"
    the amount of squirrels by these woods
    is many and they also swing from the bird feeders :)
    A lifetime of being in the sun
    and even now when the least bit warm I sit on the deck for lunch.
    So far no sun spots.
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch - I hope that's the last of the injections for a while.
    The little picture of the squirrel on the seed sauce made me smile.
    I make up my collages using a free on-line program called 'Picmonkey'. It's a program aimed at teenagers... but I like it's simple, no-frills, approach!
    Let me know how you get on with it. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use PicMonkey too Jan. I guess I just never saw how to make the kind of collages you make. Mine are rather in a row or neatly side-by-side. I liked that you could use different sizes and placements.

      Delete
    2. I use picmonkey also. Love it!

      Delete
  5. Love seeing the photos. Such a wonderful family; you included.

    I had cataract surgery on both eye a while back. First time in my history
    that I don't need glasses to drive or watch t.v. I still need glasses to
    read though.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete