title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, November 16, 2014

My Dad's Side Of The Family

Confusing because:

Peter Waltz             1710-1790
Conradt Waltz        1739-1816
Peter D, Waltz        1760-1807
Conrad E. Walts     1788-1873  (Note the name change)
Peter Walts            1819-1899
Charles E.  Walts   1860-1943
Roy U.   Walts       1892-1942      
Charles J. Walts     1916-2008
Judith J. Walts       1939

They kept naming their kids after their father's or themselves.  Glad I wasn't a male or my name probably would have been Conrad Peter!

Lovely, in that I found out we came from Prussia, Germany on my Great Grandfather's side and from Hanover, Germany on my Great Grandmother's side.  And--for some reason, they all belonged to the German Reform Church in Jefferson County, New York.

=======================
I've been at this all day--and most of the past month and getting real close to the end.  I am entering all the "new" stuff on Family Tree Maker and when I am done, I will upload it to Ancestry.com--YAY.

Then I got the bright idea that I should put all this information and pictures I have found in a Shutterfly book for my kids.  I have given them all 3-ring binders with the info, but that was way back in 1999.  I have learned so much since then.

This project would give me something to do all winter--like I need that, as I am also working on my "How To" book.

At least--I am busy and that makes me very happy!!
================
So, I laid low all day and watched as Dar's car was gone most of the day, but...suddenly she appeared walking on the street, headed this way.  Right when I was in the middle of trying to figure out if Conradus Walts was related to me--he wasn't, thank goodness.

So, I had to stop.  She was all in a frustration mode because she couldn't figure out how to get her turkey at a reduced rate on the website where she was suppose to get a coupon stating that fact.  The website is for the store WHERE SHE WORKS!!!!!

After I tried for an hour and couldn't access the coupon, I said, "You ought to just go to the customer service desk and ask them."

"Great idea!"  she shouted.  "I'm going up there right now."

and off she went--thank you Lord.

So I went back to work until I got all of Conrad's kids worked out and their children's names.  My word--people had a lot of kids back in the old days.  I suppose because so many of the kids died young?  In his family, he had a son Nelson and a girl Lucinda and although 12 years apart, they died on the same day.  I wonder if it was from smallpox or the flu.  Sad.

Monday I have a 10:15 appointment at the food bank and this time--I have a list and I am ready.  Now that I know, I am not restricted on how many canned goods I can get--other than meat meals--I think I will do better to get closer to my goal--they always get so upset with me because I never get enough stuff.

I think I better set my alarm--I have been known to sleep in until after 9:00 ya know.  :-)


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've made a lot of progress on your ancestral research. Your kids would love that info in a book, I'm sure. Good luck on your food bank shopping. I'll be at the doctor's office while you're shopping. Have a good day, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genealogy is so much fun yet some people don't get that. I have the same thing in my family with the name John and Margaret. Generation after generation of them and all living in the same area of Italy. Even today my cousins keep that pattern. My husband's family does that same with Thomas.

    I've got to try Shutterfly sometime. I use MyCanvas for family books which is connected to ancestry.com and I like it because you can import your family tree and other records over to print in the MyCanvas books with just a few mouse clicks, saves a lot of typing and the quality is good. Pricy, but I've done three books through them and I like their software.

    Speaking of money, did you see in the paper yesterday that list of goals that the Michigan Republican lawmakers are going to try to pass in 2015? One of them is a 60 month lifetime cap on the cash assistance program to the poor. They didn't say if it will be retroactive or not but you might want to follow the bill when they start working on it. Mandatory drug testing, too, to get it will be included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get cash assistance, nor do I have to take a drug test. 60 months is five years. Might not be a bad idea for those who just collect Welfare generation after generation and don't ever plan to look for a job.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I thought you did get some assistance---not direct Welfare---but help around $40 or so (?) with a Bridgecard or utility credits which will fall under the cash assistance program. Guess it was someone else talking about that amount getting cut down last summer.

      Delete
  3. Judy, my friend, you have been so busy! Such interesting facts about the family; I couldn't believe that two siblings passed away on the same day. It may have been smallpox or something like that - I think back then many people died from (what is it called?) consumption or something. That's what my moms dad passed from when he was 45.

    I hope your appointment went well today!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete