title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Bitterly Cold Thursday

Today's high temperature was: 14 degrees
Bright Sunshine
=============================
This alert was in my e-mail:

Weather Alert for Livingston County, MI
! Wind Chill Watch !
Issued at: 3:29 am EST on January 23, 2014, expires at: 12:00 PM EST on January
24, 2014

...Wind chill watch in effect from this evening through Friday
morning...
The National Weather Service in Detroit/Pontiac has issued a wind
chill watch...which is in effect from this evening through Friday
morning.
Hazardous weather...
 * wind chill values will fall to -25 to -30 tonight through
  Friday morning.
==================================
I looked up the Old Farmer's Almanac and it said, for this area, this week was "mild and rainy".  Really?  It also said we are to have a hot, drier then usual summer.
===============
Last evening, Pearl called me and our conversation went kind of like this:

"You get your pipes thawed?"

"Yep.  The kid got under there and got me all fixed up.  He looked around and said my heat tape and insulation is just fine.  Some varmint dug a hole between the skirting and the ground and it let in cold air that froze up a small section of pipe where it comes up from the ground."

"Well...good.  You better fix that hole this spring."

"I sure will."

"Do you need anything?  Are you all right."

"Yep. I'm great.  I even got my garbage can hauled out to the street."

"Why did you do that?"

"Ah--tomorrow is Thursday.  We have garbage pick-up on Thursday morning."

" They won't be coming tomorrow---we had a holiday this week..they will be coming on Friday."

"We didn't have a holiday--like Christmas or Easter or Fourth of July...it was like a Federal holiday where we didn't get mail and some banks were closed."

"I don't care...it was a holiday.  You better get out there and haul your garbage can back up to the porch."

"Naw--everyone else has their cans out--except you guys...I think I'll leave it there, just in case."

"You're all weird!"  and she hung up.
================================
This morning, Merle went for a walk and on his way by, he brought up my (empty) garbage can and mail.

"What are you doing out on such a frigid day?" I asked.

"Needed to get some air."

"Did you get your garbage can out this morning?"

"Nope.  I wanted to, but Pearl said they weren't coming today.  So now...I got a full garbage can and a week to wait."

"Oh.  Sorry."

"She is one stubborn woman...once she gets her mind set on somethin'.  You just can't talk any sense into her."

"Eh Yup," I said.

78 years old.  Been married nearly 60 years and still arguing over who is right!  Kind of glad I live alone!
=========================

So--this is what I did today.  I did poke my nose outside once, to throw the bag of dirty cat litter out into the garbage can.


My smaller humidifier broke, so I got this bigger one. Holds 4 quarts--I filled it up and got it going.
Trying for at least 30% humidity in here.




 Then I got on FB and played these games:  Words With Friends, Papa Pear Saga and Candy Crush




Then I had a small roast beef sandwich for lunch and these for desert.  I have to have my fruit and...you can't tell me that covered in DARK chocolate, isn't good for me.  Just think of all the antioxidants!!!


Then I watched my soap and at 2:00, I put this together.
 The note on the back explains the history of the picture


It was suppose to go here, over the back door, but...the frame is about an inch too wide and would hang over the frame of the door. I just don't know--where should it go?



in place of this cross stitch of the Outer Banks?


or over the star?
I can't decide.  No one may want it when I die, but I know, no one will have the guts to throw it away, LOL

 So then, I sat down in my chair and did this,
While I watched this:
Little Laura (Melissa Gilbert) now lives just 3 miles away
in Howell, Mi.
and I watched The Walton's:

Then I made this for supper:

and watched this:

and of course, this:

and Big Bang Theory:




and pretty soon, I will do this.....
leaving cabinet doors open and water on a trickle

and soon after that, I will join this guy:


and sleep for nine hours.


 and...we shall see what tomorrow brings.

I hear--1-2 inches of snow and 2-4 on Sunday......and the beat goes on!








5 comments:

  1. I loved that little trip through your day.....you are so funny. The childhood memories cross stitch piece is really beautiful and I know someone will treasure tit in years to come. I would hang it in a place you look at most often during your days.
    May the pipes stay unfrozen!! Very harsh weather right now. Let us know how successful you are with the new humidifier. What brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. zero on my screen porch this morning
    I am different
    in this kind of weather have to stay busy
    cannot sit still
    will clean out some cabinets
    and do the ironing I did not do yesterday
    may bake something...
    need to have someone instruct me
    once again on crocheting
    Take care
    surely Spring will arrive on time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not looking forward to the drive home from work this afternoon! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I would also love to have someone instruct me on crocheting again. I have a book, but it makes less sense than it did 20 years ago.

    So glad to hear from Pearl and Merle. I've been missing your conversations with them. And, how about Dar? Did she move away?

    That cross stitch is so beautiful; I hope you find a good place for it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pearl is a trip.
    The cross stitch is beautiful, and I'm glad you signed and dated it and put the history on the back. I'm sure one of your kids will want it. They'll probably fight over it. :)

    Your temps are ridiculous. It was 5 here this morning and never got out of the teens. It's been a long time since we had a winter this cold.

    I like you jar of shells by your bathroom sink.

    RED CARNATIONS and THE NEW ORLEANS' SAINTS

    ReplyDelete