title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tuesday--Why Did It Seem Like Friday?

Today's high temperature was:  67 degrees
Today's humidity was:  36%
Sunny and lovely--all day!!
======================================

One of my blog buddie's cat died.  He was 16 years old!  His name was Gizzy.  I felt terrible--all morning, I was sad.  I never met that cat.  I have never met the blog buddy, but still...I felt bad.

Remember me telling you that because I was raised on a farm and animals--pets--were always getting run over or died?  I grew up---I had pets all my life--they died.  I was sad for a few days, but it wasn't tragic or anything.  

I laughed to myself, when a co-worker had to take two days off work when one of her cats died.  It was one of those hairless, skinny, ugly Sphynx or something.  They looked like Yoda on a bad day.

I had to take care of them for a week for her.  I had to feed them their special food out of a spoon!  EGAD!!  Probably registered.  Probably cost a ton of money.  UGLY!!




Take two days off work?  For a cat?  It's just an animal--big deal.

Well--haven't times and feelings changed!  I worry so that I will die before Buddy and Maggie and what would happen to them.  They have to go to live together--they cannot be separated--that is in my Will!!!  My sister said she'd take them, but she is like I used to be--not real cozy or patient with animals.  If Maggie jumped up on her counter--she'd probably make her into an outside cat--really quick!  If Buddy wanted to sit on her all the time, like he does me, she'd probably dump him off her lap onto the floor every single time.  AND FOR SURE--neither one would be allowed to sleep in the bedroom, let alone snuggle on the bed.

I sometimes worry that one of them will die BEFORE I do.  I just don't know what I would do without Buddy lying up by my head every night--his soft warm fur for me to stroke to fall asleep--his big head, resting in the palm of my hand.  Maggie at my feet--keeps my feet warm when it is cold in here.  Their constantly jumping up on the recliner to sit on my lap for a pet, or lie at the foot of the chair for a nap, while I stitch or read.

When a pet use to get sick, I would have them put down, rather then pay for expensive surgeries or vet bills.  Now--I just know--I would go into further debt to get them well--if it were possible AND I wouldn't just leave them at the vet's for him to put them down, I would hold them and pet them while the shots were given!

I'll just bet you, if one of them died, I'd probably cry and mourn harder then I did when Fred died.  I'll just bet I would!  Then, I had to be brave for everyone around me.  Keep a smile on my face and tell everyone how thankful I was to have been in his life--and I was--but now?  I could just cry and mourn and rant and scream if I wanted too.  I'll just bet I would.
====================================
So today, I worked for about three hours.  I am just having a ball and researching all different ways to self-publish and how to market and sell books.  My friend, who I am doing the work for, lives in Europe.  I think it is going to be difficult to keep a supply of her wonderful cookbook on hand to mail to the distribution place.  I think it would be more prudent, if I had the books here and then worked with the seller and distributor.  Easier for me to ship what books they want to sell, then for her.  She lives three miles from the nearest post office and doesn't drive.  I know how to package them, print out a shipping label and have the mail lady pick them up at my door.  

Anyway, I am having a good time--trying not to spend all day in here--and today, I made $21.00 and I didn't spend anything, so I am ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
===============================

I decided to look at my "to do" list and took the refrigerator apart and washed every stinking inch of it, all the shelves, drawers.  Vacuumed under neath.  Talk about a back breaking job.  My back and hip still hurt!  But--it is done and it shines like new.  All of my appliances are fifteen years old--and they run just perfectly.  Kenmore and GE--guess that is the brand I would buy when they give out.  Definitely, GE!

Then I vacuumed, then I mopped the kitchen floor.  Opened up the windows and door as it was getting warmer outside.  

Then--my box of spring bulbs I ordered last spring arrived via UPS!  I am going to keep them out on the porch because I feel it is too warm inside.  I have tulips and daffodils and Snow Glories.  Next week, it promises to be cold again and I will start the process of cutting back the perennials, pulling out the now ragged annuals and planting my spring bulbs, where I stuck the sticks last spring--in the empty spaces in my garden.  I am already getting pictures out of catalogues and other's blogs for what I want to plant next spring. I can hardly wait to see what comes up next year.  I had such a bountiful growth for my lilies this year--they were taller then usual and fuller--beautiful.  

I will take down sun catchers and porch ornaments and garden ornaments, clear everything off my porch and get ready to---paint it.  I know, that is going to be a job.  It has to be prepped and sanded in places.  I think right now, that it will be easy peasy, but I KNOW--that never happens.  There will be a hitch somewhere along the way, but I can figure it out.  I bought treads to go on the steps, because they scare me when the snow and ice come.  I also got something, which I think is neat.  Motion detector lights that go on the porch spindles.  Last year, when I came home from some of Madeleine's functions, always after dark, I had a hard time seeing where the porch steps began--now, these lights will come on and I can see!!!

I am going to paint the porch grey--floor, and the railings and posts white.  Two coats--at least.  Hoping to find a paint that has a primer/sealer in it.  Every one's porch around here is this color--mine is this color:


Floor, railings, spindles.


I want mine to be Cape Cod grey and white--like my sisters.
Too bad I can't afford a new deck made out of the composite Trex like they did.  No maintenace--EVER!

At one time, I had thought to paint my shutters and porch green, but that would be quite a job for me.  OH--I know I could do it, but................this will be a much simpler fix.  They have paint just special for decks and concrete and will last with a lot of traffic.  It even seals up splinters and fills in cracks and screw holes.  That is what I am going to get.  It is going to be very cool and look very nice with my white house with black shutters and new black/charcoal roof..  AND I DON'T NEED TO PAY SOME MAN TO DO IT FOR ME.  I have painted porches before and I will have no problem.  The only problem is $$$$$.  Hey!!! I have a Lowe's charge card--hee hee hee.  Be paid off before next spring!
==================================
Pearl walked down this evening.  I had lent her my 3 published children's books to read.

"I had no idea you were a writer.  How come you never told me?"

"I don't usually tell people.  I guess it just never occurs to me.  When my first book was published, I was so happy.  I drove out to The Farm to tell my Dad and he was kind of yawny about it. Then I told my kids and they were like, "Oh, that's nice Mom."  I didn't quite get the reaction I expected, so....I just never tell anyone anymore."

"Where in the world do you get your ideas from?" (don't end your sentence in a preposition.)

"From events from my childhood or...just from my imagination."

"Well--you write in there, just like a child would think and talk.  How do you know how to do that?"
  
"I just remember how we talked, when we were kids.  When I first started writing children's stories---there was a park right beside where I lived in Saginaw.  I'd go over there and sit and watch the kids and listen to them talk."

"I just never knew.  You are really a good writer!"

Aw gee.  How sweet of her to say that.
==========================
See ya tomorrow, kids.  Later, Jude

7 comments:

  1. Your energy is so contagious, Judy, at least to me. I am ready for work early so sat down to read blogs, and here is your wonderful post about all your plans. Love it. I'd just been promising my refrigerator a good cleaning (tomorrow night after work), and then the floor will need scrubbing. Such a good feeling to have those things done.
    About Maggie and Buddy. if something happens to you, you have someone let me know and I will drive out there to get them and bring them home with me....They would have all the love in the world.
    I think the gray deck will look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about my dog as you do your cats, Judy. He is in my will with a small amount of money for his care. Actually, he gets his share before my human heirs. LOL

    Judy, be very careful with your overseas friend and the books. Don't lay out any money for her. With the self publisher I used---Blurb---the orders and money goes directly to them whether it's for one book or a hundred and they do the shipping and they were very quick about it. It's print on demand. I know people who have ordered 100 of their own self published books (the author gets a huge discount) and they sell them at their lectures about their book but mostly you just promoted your books online and sent potential buyers to the publisher's virtual bookstore to order and then the author gets their cut sent to their PayPal account. Many other self publishers work the same way. There are overseas scammers/"authors" out there working in this area so if this lady wants you to lay out any money for anything...RUN! By the way, I'm not using Blurb for my second book because I want to sell on Amazon next time and with Blurb, you can't. Blurb uses a different well known chain to disturb the e-book versions, if the author wants to offer that format.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worry about our 5 cats and what would happen to them if something happened to us. I made my daughter promise take them or find very good homes for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we would definitely need two tree houses; I'm allergic to cats. So, we'll need two here and two there! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, I bet no one but us knows what the heck I'm talkin' about. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do those cats feel like when you pet them? They are so ugly I can see why some people fall in love with them.

    ReplyDelete