title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, September 26, 2013

I Am Re-Learning Things I Used To Know.

Today's high temperature was:75 degrees
Sunny and beautiful
=============================
MELISSA--I GOT THEM!! THANKS SO MUCH!

I had to sit and think for awhile about how to get the piping on the pillow.  Two pieces, right sides together, piping in between.  No--that could lead to all sorts of mistakes.  Okay--just put the piping on the front and then, put the backing on and stitch in the same line.

It makes me incredibly nervous to sew anymore.  My hands tremble, which isn't a good thing as I have the tremor in my right hand to begin with.  Got the sewing machine out of its storage cubby hole, set it up on the kitchen table, threaded it (had to read the directions) FINALLY got the thread through the needle, and I was ready to go.

Decided to use a zipper foot to ride close to piping.  Had to read the directions on how to change.

Got it!!  

Sewed along one side and remembered not to try and make the corners sharp angles, but to round them a bit.  Two sides done--went to turn it and the piping fell off.  Should have checked to make sure bobbin was full before I started sewing.  DUH!!

Filled bobbin, started over, had a pin in the wrong direction, so when I slid my hand down, pin ran up into the base of my thumb.  Stopped.  Put band-aid on thumb to keep blood off Elmo, proceeded and got it done.

When I think of the many years and many clothes and outfits I sewed for myself and the kids, I cannot believe that now--I feel like a beginner.  I was so scared of just putting a pillow together--crazy.







Put backing on without too much trouble, trimmed corners, turned pillow.


Gave him a nice press with the iron--looked off center, so I
got out the tape measure and it was off just a tad.
Too late now to do anything about it.

Finally got to relax in chair while I stuffed him with fiber fill.
Remember to get corners stuffed real good. 
Stuff him nice and tight so he won't go flat right away.

Ran out of fiber fill, which is par for the course. <sigh>


Did not want to get in car and run up town, soooooooooooooooooo, spent the rest of Wednesday, researching a bit on self publishing, visiting with Pearl, watching TV, crocheting and cross stitching on my baby bed cover.  Started crocheting nylon net into the pot scrubbers I give everyone for Christmas.  Hard work--hands hurt.  Guess I will make one a day--have time to get 36 done (72 circles crocheted together.)

Detroit Tigers clinched the American League Central whatever.  Now we go to playoffs and maybe, to the World Serious.
=============================

Up at 7:00 again this morning.  Felt bright-eyed and bushy tailed.  Did the morning routine, took a shower and planned my day.  As I stepped out of the shower, this is what I saw out the window.

Oh, Oh.  Activity on the lot behind us.


Looks like my view is gone again.  
Hope they don't have a passel of noisy kids!





I had an appointment with the shrink at 11:00.  At twenty minutes after, I was just about to go up to the window and tell the girls I was leaving, when he came out to get me.  This man has some kind of psychological problem with time, in my opinion.

He asked how I was doing, I told him "Great", and then went on to explain that I had stopped taking the drug last Friday because of the edema, and the rash and that I am feeling better.  He said, "Well, we could try a different one."  I replied, "Nope.  I don't want to get into that again.  I am feeling great and if I fall back into the crazies, I will make an appointment."  I was back in my car by 11:30.  Bah Dah Boom, Bah Dah Bing. 

Then, off I went to Wal-Mart to get a bag of fiber fill and then over to Lowe's to peruse for paint for my porch.  Thanks to Melissa, I had two gift cards to help with the expense--I can't being to thank her enough--she also got me a Subway card, which is super because my favorite subway is going to be five dollars for a foot long ALL OCTOBER!!!

A really nice guy in the paint department asked if he could help and I told him, "I want some good, sturdy paint for my front deck."

"Has it been stained before?"

"Yes, but the stain is worn off down to the original wood."

"Then...you want stain."

"No--I want paint.I want white and grey exterior paint."

"Stain comes in those colors.  Stain will stand up better then paint."

"You're kidding me!"

He smiled at this brainless woman.

"Does it go on like paint?"

"Yes, in any color you want."

"Isn't it thin---like water?"

"No--it's like paint.  It has a primer and a sealer built right into it."

"You're kidding me!"

"No. When paint gets weathered, it peels off in big pieces.  With the stain, when it starts to weather, it just sort of rubs off in small pieces.  Stain will last much longer then paint."

"Okay then--I'm sold!" 

So he walks me over and shows me Cabot and Olympic--I had made up my mind I wanted Olympic and we picked out the colors, he mixed the grey, shook them up and put them in my cart.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Well, yes.  I had all the equipment for painting, but I gave it all away...because I didn't think I would ever paint anything again in my life.  I need a brush and a roller and a roller pan and roller pan inserts and......."

So he takes the front of my cart and pulls it and me, down the aisle.  He got a roller pan, 2 different sizes of rollers, 2 roller covers and a brush all in one kit.  Then he threw in some cleaning rags and a block of sandpaper.

I thanked him profusely and grinned all the way to my car!!


After my soap, I started on the back side--just to re-learn how to paint stain.  I have never stained anything before--it's just like painting!!!
Instead of doing all the spindles all around, I am going to do
one section at a time--two coats.  I will do the floor and steps last.

This is the view out my window--looks better already.
I like it!!!

I am lucky, I can sit down to do most of the posts, but have to get up to do the top part--up,down.  Up, down.  Tonight my calves are mooing, so I know I worked them good.  But--I can do this!!

Tomorrow and Saturday promise to be nice days like today, so--maybe I can all the spindles stained?

Got Elmo stuffed, the bottom part hand sewn and he is ready to go play with Evan.  Doesn't look like there is going to be a birthday party, so I will go over Monday, when Pammie is baby sitting and the bigger kids are at school, and Evan and I can smooze a bit.




 























































7 comments:

  1. Proud of you
    a lot accomplished.
    You will love the gray stain
    A new and different look.
    I think Fall is here and love the cool mornings.
    Have a good weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elmo is so cute. What an accomplishment! Take your time staining your porch...it looks so pretty already.
    Have a nice weekend and enjoy that footlong..
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your deck is going to look great - the colour is really nice.
    Your cushion also looks fantastic. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have trouble remembering how to sew again, too. At our ages we have so many skills up there in our heads no wonder it takes a while for the recall to kick in.

    I stained my deck about 3-4 years ago and I put two coats on everything. I wish I had only put two coats on the decking and top of the railing because those parts need to be redone now but the upright posts (which are the exact same style as yours) look as good as the day they were stained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In spite of all your troubles, Elmo looks fantastic! I had to chuckle though ~ so many of the same things happen to me and I sew often. Sometimes I try to thread the end of the needle without the eye :)

    Your porch will be so nice ~ I'm begging for a railing around our porch and a handrail for the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the white spindles - so much brighter. And Elmo is adorable - he will love it.! Take care and have a great visit with him and Pam!

    ReplyDelete