title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, March 23, 2018

Shangri la is just around the corner

Yesterday, I trucked up to Walmart to pick up my prescription and about $50.00 worth of food.  Nice and sunny day, it felt too warm and humid in Walmart.  Another lady behind me in line was complaining about it too.

On my way home, I went to the facility where Pearl is getting rehab.  This is a fairly new facility.  I know it wasn't there 6 years ago when I had my last hip surgery, or I would have gone.

What a place!!!  The rooms are large and private.  Don't have a room mate that has to sleep with the TV on all night, like I did at my last rehab place and said her Rosary, quite loudly, every morning at 6:00am!.

They have a spa, where you can get a hair cut, manicure/pedicure, massage.  There is a game room and of course the "gym" as they call it where the residents go for PT.  A big beautiful dining room, overlooking the woods and pond, and a snack bar where you can get Starbucks, ice cream and anything you'd want.  Social room with fireplace, piano, Bingo machine, and giant TV, library and a room where the nearby Humane Society brings animals for the resident to interact with.

Now--that is quite a place for patients that would only be there 2-3 weeks!

I thought this was also an assisted living/nursing home, but when I inquired...Nope--just rehab.  For people after joint replacement surgeries, strokes/heart attacks.  Weak people, like Pearl.

So now, I'm wondering if my knees need replacing.  Any excuse to spend a week there in what appears to be a luxury resort setting.

Pearl's PT right now, consists of her sitting in a wheel chair and pulling herself by her feet up and down the hallway.  She will be progressing to the exercise bike next week, to work her arms and legs.  I am hoping somewhere along the way, they put her on the leg weight machine--where you lay on your back and push a weighted plate up with your legs.

I was there about an hour and left,  It was a very long walk back to my car and my back was screaming.  Finally I fell into the car seat only to realize...I had left my purse in Pearl's room!!!  All the way back in and out again.  This time I did stop by a sunny window with a view and just sit for a few minutes to rest my back.

Pearl had mentioned I could walk up to visit--as this place is only about 1 1/2 mile away.  I told her, "I'll meet you half-way."

My back is much worse than it was last summer and fall.  I am going to have to get determined to get out and walk.  My back does not bother me in the store--with the cart to push in front of me, so...I am thinking of searching the shed, for the fancy walker, with brakes and seat that Fred got from Medicare and just swallow my pride and use that to walk up and down the street out in front.
================
So today, back to Walmart.  My cats refuse to eat the last kind of dry cat food I got for them.  Spoiled brats!  So I got another bag of the kind they like, plus some Coseqin for Buddy's arthritic hips. I went through the self checkout this time.  It was fun...like playing store.

More basketball games to enjoy tonight.  I was simply amazed how Michigan beat Texas A&M last night.  They weren't supposed to!  I am NOT a Michigan fan, but a kid I know plays in their PEP band and he is having a ball traveling all over to these tourneys, so I hope they continue to win.  Just for him.  LOL

Tonight I am rooting for Purdue.  We gotta keep the B1G Ten teams in there.

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Judy, on needing to get to walking. I was doing so well the last places we lived.

    If I were you, like you mentioned, I'd get that walker and use it until you feel more comfortable without it. Great idea!

    Enjoy the games.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a chatty post and fun to read. The place Pearl is in sounds like heaven compared to most of those sorts of places. To bad it's only short term.

    The walker is a great idea, Judy. If you get tired you can sit any where and get safer, better exercise using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to thank you for your blog. I so appreciate that you write often. Just a little interesting thing that I noticed. The thing at the side that tells were your latest visitor is from always lists me as Newmarket ON. I live in Newcastle ON. I wonder why it picks up the wrong place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. It must be an Internet thing? Maybe where your signal comes from? Mine lists me from Howell on others sites and my address is Brighton. They are only 6 miles apart, but still......................

      Delete
  4. What a brilliant idea to get some walking in!! Use that walker! I got a little basket for mine (during knee recupe) so you can take a bottle of water or whatever. Then you can add a horn (to greet the neighbors) and maybe an American flag. Thanks for blogging more lately. Those awesome genealogy reports get in the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rehab place sounds first class. Yes, maybe a walker will work for you to help you walk outside. I hope your back is feeling better this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am not a huge fan of walmart, but everyone needs walmart things and must go. ours is always packed with people and they are always all in the same isle i am in ;)

    walking is awesome exercise, do it, however you can. you are lucky to be able to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, Great minds think alike! My back has also been getting worse. I can walk in the grocery store with a basket but other than that my walking is getting less and less. Worries me because I don't want to lose my leg muscle strength. Last week I was in my storage room and saw my mother's fancy Walker with wheels. The light bulb went off! I can use this Walker and go up and down the driveway. Have had a back ablation two years ago which helped a lot and will schedule another one for April. Hopefully this will get me back on my feet. I love reading your blog because I can identify with you and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like everyone else ... and you! I think the walker would be great for you to help strengthen your legs and maybe back! I didn't know that I'd feel this old at nearly 69! I need to take my own advice -- I wish my S-I L hadn't donated the walker I bought Mama to an unknown source, I'd be using that instead of feeling wobbly using my cane! I just don't want to fall again. Ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like Pearl is in a pretty nice place. My favorite part is that she has a private room. I think pulling the walker out is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's always hot and humid in Walmart. Drives me nuts. I'm so sorry your back is hurting. I hope you don't need another surgery. And if the little doohickey with wheels helps you take a walk, don't worry about what anyone thinks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete