title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, January 29, 2018

It was the best of days, it was the worst of days

Karen called me two weeks ago to say that Jennifer was coming in for work related meetings and would be at Karen's on Sunday, the 28th.  We were all getting together and she would call me later with details and times.

She didn't call, so Saturday morning, I called my sister and asked if Jen was in and if we were getting together and what time.  

"Oh.  Didn't you get Karen's text?"

"How would I get a text?  I don't have a cell phone---remember?"

I keep telling these people!   When you send out an informational text, please either e-mail me, or phone me to let me know.  They text each other constantly!  I never know what is going on--which has left me feeling a distance between me and my family.

So--Jen was flying in late Saturday night and yes we were getting together on Sunday--at 11:30.  Just bring snacks--no big meal.

I scurried around and made the chip dip all the kids love and also a batch of Chex Mix, because Jennifer loves it.  I always used to make it for Christmas and I knew she hadn't had any in years.  I filled a plastic bag with some just for her--to take with her.

I arrived at 11:30, greeted warmly by Jennifer and Karen.  Then Karen looked at me and said, "Oh my gosh, Mom!  I forgot to call you!"

"Yeah, you inconsiderate brat!"
Did I really say that?  Of course not.

"I found out from Aunt Susan," I said, amidst more hugs and kisses.

Soon the rest started arriving.  My son Mark and Cindy and daughter Pam, all rode down together.  My sister Susan and her Chuck and son Adam.  No grandchildren--just my kids and me.  It was wonderful.

We all admired Karen and Mark's new addition and their beautiful fireplace.


 Had our snackies and settled in to watch the MSU/Maryland basketball game on their new 65" TV.

I kept wondering where Jennifer was and then I saw her.  Outside on the front porch.  A big deal for her law firm was going astray.  She was on the phone with her partners and then the clients.



I managed to snaggle the brats for a photo.  It's been 4 years since we've all been together at the same time.  I tried to get them in chronological order, which they refuse to do and Mark just kept mumbling, "just snap it!  Take the damn picture!"  Like trying to get a herd of cats to comply!


Then Granddaughter Helene arrived with Della and granddaughter Madeleine came in from ballet practice--see them in the back at the table?--and Jen was back outside and on the phone--see her in the background, through the window?


Della and my son-in-law, her grandpa, looking up at my sister.



I didn't realize how loud my two oldest, Mark and Pam talk.  Then there was yelling about the ballgame, so I had to get outside and sit in my car for a few minutes, just to re-adjust my hearing and mind.
==================
Came back in and sat down at the dining room table with Pam and Jen to hear the biggest shock of my life--well maybe not of my life, but the last half dozen years.  It shook me to my core.

Pam is moving to New Jersey and live with Jennifer and her family.  For two years!!!!!!!

My Pammie, who loves to live alone.  Who hates the city.  Who doesn't get along with Jen's husband.

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND?"
Did I say that?  Of course not.

I just sat and listened to her plans.

Jen's husband Eric's father, has finally turned one of his prosthetic offices over to Eric to run as his own.  Jennifer will "retire" in two years to be his accountant/lawyer/run the office.

Pam is going to be watching the kids again, while she lives there.  She is going to establish residency so that she can get disability, which she is having a hard time getting here, but can more easily get it in NJ, with Jennifer's support and legal help.

I managed to squeak out, "What are you going to do with your house?"

"Walk out and lock the doors."
smart mouth!

"It's not good for a house to sit empty that long."

"I don't care!"

My Pammie.  Who loves her house and her farm and never has wanted to leave it for more than a few hours at a time.

"Would you like me to go out and check on it.  Maybe spend a weekend, so it looks like someone lives there?"

"Nope!  I don't want anybody in MY house.  My friend Ed is going to drain all the water pipes, put anti-freeze in the toilets, winterize it.  He is going to mow the lawn every week.  It's all taken care of."

Then my sister, who had heard a bit of the conversation said, "Do you want us to have a key, so we can check on it, once in awhile?"

"Nope!  Nobody has a key to my house, except me.  I don't want anybody in  my house.  If you ever see a blaze coming from the East, call the fire department and then call me."
I had the strongest desire to just slap her!
===============
My Dear friends.  This is not going to work!  Jennifer and Eric aren't going to like Pam living with them.  The two older kids resented her when she used to live at their home two days a week.  She bossed them and they didn't like her rules.  Eric is not fond of her.

I think Jennifer is doing this to help her sister and thinking that Pam can help her.  While they get their business going and build their new house.

This is not going to work!!!

I'm still in shock and the only way I know how to deal with it all, is.....try and not think about it and go with the flow.  It is as it is.  But...............
this is not going to work!

10 comments:

  1. WOW!
    Judy, now I'm in shock. I'm at a loss for words, and that's unusual. Seems like a done deal, and you just found out. Praying you can come to terms with this.

    Okay, I'm sorry for your hurt feelings.
    I love you.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe Pam going to walk away from the family house like that with no one having a key to look around to check on things! That's shocking...and stupid!

    You need to make an announcement in the family that they pool their pennies and buy you a cell phone and have someone put you on their family plan. Those group texts are the only way you're going to keep up with what everyone is doing. Put the buggy whip away---they're never going to remember to call or email all that they text back and forth---and join the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree you need to join the new millennium, Judy! I live with my kids and we still text. Kids are so busy going hither and yon ... I text them BOTH with any important dates and info so they can't say I didn't tell them. DO THIS!

      Delete
  3. It's horrible when you hear your kids talk sometimes, about their plans and whatnot, and you have to keep your mouth shut. Just awful. But they have to make their own mistakes, as I'm sure you know. I hope everything works out for everyone concerned. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. If the three adults WANT it to work out, it will. I have been so very lucky about how well we get along here. BEFORE I discipline, I talk it over with a parent. BEFORE. They usually catch the boys before I have to reprimand. Then I just get a "sowwy, Gramma" hug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the smart phone I got from SafeLink--free minutes. Because of my hand tremors, even using the stylus, I can't text. I have a real difficult time getting the cursor on my monitor to hit the right thing. So then Jen said, "you can use voice to send texts"--I need WiFi for that and I don't have WiFi Can't they text something and send it to my e-mail address? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes you think you need wifi to use your voice to send texts? I do it all the time when I'm away from the house and not using wifi to send or receive calls and texts. The only thing you need wifi for on a smart phone is if you want to search the internet or use google maps, etc. If you need it to get the phone set up the first time, do it at your kids' house and use their wifi or at the library. Lots of places to use free wifi including the grocery store these days! You have the patience and tenacity to do genealogy research you can figure out how use smart phone texts with your voice.

      What you are asking them to do is type out their messages twice---once to mass text it to everyone and then again in an e-mail format to send to you. On a text they can send it to their personal calendars. Very easy and quick. E-mails from a phone take longer to do than a texts.

      Delete
  6. You did have some shocking surprises. It is hard to keep up with the texting that our family does, but otherwise, we do miss a lot of the news about things they are doing. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, that must have been a lot to take in. I would be very perplexed about such a major change, too.
    While I see the need to keep up with technology by having the latest communications tools, I also take seriously the choices some friends and family make to not always be connected, and I make sure I respect their wishes and communicate in the way that works best for them to make sure they remain in the loop. Safe link is AWFUL and very difficult to deal with when you have questions or problems. We have tried it for various family members only to be met with extreme frustrations.

    I am so sorry you have to deal with so much frustration on so many levels.
    I must add that I am SO very happy living with my son and family, and although there are differences, we all respect each other enough to talk everything out and move on. Although, Teddy is not always happy that Nana has sharp eyes and ears, he loves me all the same. Also, most of our communication is done using texting! My daughter-in-law and I could sit and talk forever and we have a solid respectful relationship, even when we disagree.

    I can imagine your head must be reeling with all the changes....may you find peace with it all.
    Love to you, my friend,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess we all have those thoughts about our kids, and wonder if they have even thought this out. At least she isn't selling her house so if and when it doesn't work, she has somewhere to go.

    ReplyDelete