title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Genealogy

I find these family trees so interesting.

In the olden days, father's named their first born son, either after them or after their grand father's--which makes for confusion when tracing ancestors.

In my own family, I have a Conradt, Peter, Conrad, Peter, Charles, Roy, Charles.  You have to look at the birth dates so carefully to get the correct generation.

Also, back then, if a child died, the next child to be born of the same gender, was given the dead child's name.  Kind of creepy to name a live child after one whom had died.  They however, did it to honor the baby or child that had died.  Of course, most of those families had upwards of 9 children and many children died, either at birth or within the first few years.

We use death people's names on our newborns too.  My son's middle name is the same as his grandpa.  My daughter Jennifer Dorathy, middle name is the same as my mother's first name.  Even little Della has 3 middle names.

Della was my mother's middle name, Helene was my grandmother's name, my daughter Karen's middle name and Della's mother's first name--Whew!  Her other two middle names are Ruth and Hannah.  At her Jewish name-giving ceremony, she was pronounced as "Della Helene Ruth Hannah Klar".  The Ruth and Hannah coming from her other two great grand mother's.

My sister and I are originals.  Named after no one in the family and no one in my family has had the guts to take on the name, Judith, for any of their girls. LOL
=================
This genealogy I am finishing up has been truly fascinating.  Usually I end up with names and dates and locations and perhaps an obituary or small story written about the person.

In this genealogy, I have biographies written by the people themselves!!!  Saved by their descendant.  I can put these pages in with the facts and figures and get a truly keepsake kind of book for upcoming generations to read.  It is like a history book, only one that is a history of their own family.  Wonderful!
=================
What else is going on in my world?  Not much.  It snows a little bit every day.  it is still cold, but warmer temperatures predicted for the weekend.  I have a dental appointment this Friday, and you know how I look forward to that.  NOT!!

My son will turn 60 years old tomorrow, which is scary because I was 60 years old just the other day.  Jennifer is coming into town for business the end of the month and Karen is having a family get together, which is going to be wonderful!!

The days meander along and I flow along with them, climbing around in the "trees", ever trying to find the highest branches possible.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're checking in with your blog from time to time. Have fun at the family get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've gotten so many genealogy jobs! And, you do a wonderful service. I can attest.

    Going back to St Aug tomorrow; it's down in the 20's tonight and tomorrow night. :(

    I named my daughter after Dad's brother, and my younger brother. Patricia Michelle.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your genealogy research projects. I have often thought about writing a family history from my viewpoint, but haven’t started it yet. LOL. Thanks for keeping me motivated.

    Also, enjoy your family get together.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dentist, oh no. Don't get me started. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. good that you are getting so much genealogy work....

    you are becoming quite the writer, the last paragraph is quite clever and artsy!!!

    ReplyDelete