title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Scary Stuff

Tornado just 5 miles west of my kids and sister.


Skipped over a mile north of them.


On the north edge of my home town--2 miles north-east of my family.

Yes--I am still awake--watching the storms on the radar on my computer.  Flint, MI, took a big hit, as did a town east of there--people at a sports banquet in the school's gym--there are some still trapped.

This is all north of me, BUT--at 5:00 a tornado warning came on the TV for this county.  It looked like it was going to stay south of me, so I wasn't too worried.  I called Merle and Pearl--they didn't even know--of course you know Pearl's theory about tornadoes coming here.  There's never been one, so there never will be one.

Then--my friend Bethie called me and told me I was in the middle of it.  Just as I hung up, the tornado siren just 1 mile west of me went off.  It was raining like a s.o.b.  I didn't stand around and see on TV where it actually was.  I got in my car and grabbed Dar who was just getting home from work and drove a mile east to the small hospital--they have a basement.

I parked in the parking lot, near the entrance, facing the south west so I could watch for a funnel.  Turned on the local station to listen.  Pretty soon, a few more cars arrived from my park.  I heard on the radio that it was headed right down M-36--where Karen and her family lives--so I quickly called her cell.  She was on her way home!!!  Her hubby and Maddy were home so she called them.  That funnel never came down to touch the ground--thank goodness.

We sat and chatted with the other people in the cars and pretty soon, the rain stopped and the clouds cleared and Dar and I came home.

I was most probably in more danger driving in the torrential rain and flooded road, then if I had stayed here.  Now I will have to endear Pearl's teasing, but...............rather safe then sorry.

The thing is--that damn siren goes off if there is a funnel or tornado in the entire county!!!  I wish we had one just for this area--that storm was about 15 miles south of me.  The later one that went near my little sister's, about 20 miles north of me!!

Bethie was so concerned about me--the later storm went very near her home, by the looks of the radar!!!

Tomorrow morning, I've got to call and see if everyone is okay!!!

We still have a long train of storms coming in--clear back to Kansas--tonight and tomorrow.  Storm all the rest of the week.  As far as I can tell, it looks like the worse of it will remain north of me--Lansing, on over my sister's head and into Flint.  She is probably sleeping like a log!!!!  and here I am, still awake with my eyes crossing from tiredness!!!







10 comments:

  1. So scary. I can't imagine. We rarely have tornados here and they usually aren't big and bad. I'm glad no one you know was hurt. Will things quiet down after May? Isn't May the worst period for them? I never knew that until recently... with OK in the news and all. Hope everything stays calm for you. And safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did exactly the right thing! Stay safe in all this horrible weather. Luv Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This type of weather is so scary, it's something we have no control over and that makes it even more uncomfortable.

    Hope the storms today stay clear of Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think of my blogging friends when bad weather is in their area. I'm with you on being prepared and on top of things. You were wise to go to that hospital.
    Judy, I want to thank you for all you've done for me in these past few weeks. Your comments, blog posts, prayers etc meant the world to me.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words aren't really helpful enough--they can't make any of it go away. something you have to live through, day-by-day, as you know. It sounds to me, from your postings, that you are doing good and getting back to normal--which I know isn't really true--because normal won't ever be--now you have a new normal--like you did when you were widowed. I watched Mother Angelica last night--she told us to pray the rosary every day. I have found out--prayer is the only thing that really helps. Just to know that God is there for us and Jesus is sad for us and Blessed Mother understands the loss of a child more then anyone--and they hear all our prayers. You are going to be fine!! Play with Audra--she sure is a smart girl.

      Delete
  5. Glad you are OK.

    We don't use our weather radio because it gives off warnings that are not for us. The darn thing is annoying. So I guess when there is a real tornado/storm we will be toast because our weather radio was off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen--just like the siren--my weather radio goes off when there is a county problem--scares the stuffing out of me. OR it goes off in the middle of the night for a flood alert, which never pertains to me. Fred loved it--I have it packed away. It makes me more nervous then the storm! If a tornado comes in the middle of the night--it will just have to take me in my jammies, because I will be sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate any kind of storm, they are really scary and you never really know which way they are going to go. I am glad everyone is OK in your family. I really didn't think tornadoes were in that area of the US. We get an occasional scare and once in a blue moon one will touch down and do damage but it's been quite a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are not known for tornadoes in this state, but--occasionally we will have a small one(s). June of 1953 there was a devastating one in Flint--many killed.

    ReplyDelete