title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, August 25, 2019

It's been a quiet week.  Most of my weeks are, but this one has been particularly boring quiet.

On Wednesday, I went to the Cardiologist for my yearly check in.  It is such a waste of time because there is nothing wrong with my heart, but I suppose it is a good thing, at my age, to have a Cardiologist on "reserve.

Besides, this one was the man who saved Fred's life--after two other Cardiologists told us, there was nothing they could do for Fred.  This doc and I have a mutual admiration for each other.  He really liked Fred and every year, he tells me, that he still thinks about Fred and what a nice guy he was.

I got tears when this doc told me he won't be coming out to the Brighton office anymore, but he added, "When you start having heart problems in twenty years, come down to St. Joe's and ask for me.  I might still be practicing."  Then he hugged me and out the door he went.

When the nurse came back in, I had tears on my face and trying hard not to lose it completely  She said doctor had assigned me to another "really wonderful" Cardiologist, but like I told her, "It won't be the same!"

I guess it was the connection to Fred that he and I shared that made him so special to me and now another connection to Fred is gone.
=========================
The rest of the week, I spent a lot of time sitting in my recliner, watching the Little League Baseball World Series and the Championship Golf Tournament.  They both ended today.  No more watching golf until next spring.  BUT---

College football begins next weekend, so..............
===============================
Next month is my month to go to my primary care doc for my 6th month blood work and check-up, prescription renewal.  Also my 6th month dental cleaning and my 6th month check-up at the Pulmonologist.  I also have another appointment with the joint/spinal doc, which is another waste of time.

He insists the only help he can give me is injections in my back.  I insist that I tried that 4 years ago, it did no good and I'm not going to do it again.  Especially when it would have to be done in his primary office, 30 miles away and someone would have to drive me there and back.  I just wish he'd give me a Prednisone taper pack to use when my back gets really bad.  That works the best for me.

When last I visited him in June, he prescribed one for me.  I didn't use it until July 18th, when my back was so bad I could barely walk.  Well, the effects from that have lasted six weeks.  My back doesn't hurt continually anymore and doesn't hurt very often.

If I do something strenuous and it starts to hurt, I just sit and rest for about 15 minutes, than go back and finish the job, or lay down on the couch and do some back exercises.

I know people that take 20 mg of Prednisone on a daily basis.  While I don't want to do that, I don't see why he couldn't prescribed the taper pack when/if I need it.  Maybe I would only need it every 3 months and the effect would last 3 months.

Oh well, I will ask him.  Without that, I am not going back to him.  It begins to feel like he wants a visit from me every two months so he can get a nice payment from Medicare.
===================
I have to get to work now figuring out my September budget.  I thought it was a good idea if I posted to this blog first.  You know after trying to spread out my money and ending up in the hole--LIKE I DO EVERY MONTH, I would not be very good company.

We are enjoying nice cool 70's with low humidity.  At least that helps my overall mood.

Thanks for listening.

8 comments:

  1. You know, that's how I feel about most Doctor visits. It seems once you get started with appointments, there's no end to it. What ever happened to the days when a person made her own decision when to go to a doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is nice to be in such good health, you are lucky to have a doctor that you like so much.

    it's cool here now too, what a relief after a straight week of heat and humidity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understand all you share. So much going on here, just cannot share.
    so healthy, perfect and then 80 happened and everything changes. Small issues but truly bother me. all would sound like a nightmare if I did share, now uti and bladder issues they cannot seem to help and think no
    more doctors like in the past and just continue to live as healthy as I can. time for me to go anyway and ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a dentist that I keep going to even though he's too far away just because of the warm connection we share to my husband, so I know you feel about losing your cardiologist. The more connections we lose like that, the lonelier it feels.

    I love Prednisone taper packs too and my bone doctor will give me one about once a year. I guess they help the deterioration of your bones, but what I don't understand is why some doctors will let someone take it daily if that's the case. Wonder if its a different dosage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you--so many of these medical people see you b/c you are a steady Medicare income.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hear you. I think you are right about wanting that Medicare reimbursement, small as it is. My gyno wants me to come every 3 months ... but the lichen sclerosus is under control so maybe twice a year. So far my Primary only asks for twice a year.

    BUDGETS! Hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. back to share again.
    never any heart problem = perfect health
    and then last February found myself fainting and in a couple of days a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm catching up with your blog. I'm glad you'll ask again about what works for you. Let him know that you didn't use the last one for so long, etc. Every body is different and what works for "most" doesn't work for everyone. The whole system is such a scam. We should be able to have what helps us, as long as we're not doing anything illegal!

    ReplyDelete