title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, August 28, 2019


I just had the best time yesterday!

I had an appointment to get my hair cut and had my $$ saved up in the envelope for it. I had to get cat food and milk and water and some food for me.
I just got a new Meijer card. $10.00 off the 1st order and I had my $16.00 for food on my Bridge card.
As I was getting ready to leave, my sister and Chuck stopped in with bags of groceries for me, including ground beef! YAY.
=============
So I took off and after my hair cut as I was paying, a lady walked up to me and smiled. I didn't recognize her, but she did look familiar and I thought, "Oh no! She knows Karen, or her kids danced with Maddie, or were in the band......I'm suppose to know her."
So I stuttered, "You look so familiar, but I don't remember your name."
She replied, "No, we don't know each other, but I wanted to tell you. I was watching your reflection in the mirror while you were getting your hair cut and you have the most radiant smile!"
I was flustered and ready for a sarcastic remark like, "You must be mistaken...are you sure it wasn't a grimace?" BUT thank God, He kept my mouth shut and I just thanked her. and kinda floated out to my car. It's been a long time since I've received the gift of a compliment.
==============
Up to Meijers and up and down the aisles, helping short women or people in the electric carts with reaching stuff they needed off the tall shelves.
Up to the check-out line and got behind an old guy with not too many items. He must not have realized I was behind him because he backed into my cart. He turned with kind of a grouchy look and I said, "Hey watch it. I'm old and I'm cranky."
He said, "You aren't as old as I am."
I said, "Wanna bet?"
"Can you top 80?" he says.
"Depends on the month. When is your birthday."
"October 16th--I will be 80."
"Hah! I was 80 on June 21. Got you beat by almost 4 months. Now pay up the bet."
"Damn! You women are always right!"
"And don't you forget it," I said.
By now we both had our stuff loaded on the belt and I notice an older women behind me...holding a birthday card.
"Please go ahead of me," I said.
"Oh thank you. I just hoped I'd find a nice person today. I have to get this card to the post office before the five o'clock pick up." (It was 4:20.)
==============
Something was happening with the old guy. He was arguing with the cashier. "But why do they all look alike?" he asked.
I whispered to the clerk, "I'll help him if you can take this lady right now."
So I went up to him and said, "Is there something wrong?"
"Yes. I got all these jugs of water and I thought they were all the same, but some cost more than the others."
I checked the water jugs and asked him, "What kind of water did you want?"
"I want spring water."
"You have two spring water and four drinking water."
"I don't want drinking water! How can you tell?"
"Well, the spring water jugs have a green cap and the drinking water jugs have a blue cap."
"I don't want no drinking water. I want spring water."
Meanwhile the cashier is ringing up the rest of his order.
The aisle next to us was closed so I suggested, "Put the jugs with the blue caps over here. Someone will take them back for you. Just get the jugs with the green caps."
Which he did and was soon gone.
I stepped up to the cashier and said, "Don't you just love checking out old and cranky people all day?"
She said, "I can tell you aren't one of them. Thanks for your help."
=====================
I'm here to tell you, every time I go to the store, I have so much fun.
To top it off, when I got home, my neighbor was outside and came over and carried in all my groceries for me.
I had a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. What a great day! I love going to Meijer too. But I have a problem with their $10 gift coupons. Every year it gets invalided because I forget to use it with my card and once it goes through their register they won't give it back and I don't get my $10. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compliments cost nothing but are worth gold! I'm going to do a whole blog on the power of compliments because I had a day like yours also! All day long! Incredible. My goal now is to hand out at least ONE compliment a day. Pay it forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compliments are so great, aren't they! They are rare, kinda, so one remembers the "five W's" for them. That sounds pathetic, huh!
    I'm glad you had a wonderful day, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a good day!
    Priceless! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a little bit of kindness can be spread out to the whole world if we each keep adding to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Judy, these vignettes truly show that our acts of kindness enrich not only the receiver but ourselves. Your certainly had a day in which you were open to all the possibilities for giving of yourself and also for receiving. I just love the fact that someone complimented you. It does seem that compliments are few and far between often for many of us. I hope you are still glowing from being told what a radiant smile you have! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope I have your energy when I turn 80! Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had such a day! Complements are the best, too!

    ReplyDelete