title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

I just finished a magnificent genealogy.  It has taken 2 months.  What a surprise my client will get when she opens her book to find, she is not Irish, like she thought.  

Her first immigrant ancestor DID come from Ireland, but his ancestor's originated in Scotland and only fled to Ireland, because of religious persecution by the (English) Anglican Church.  They were protestant Presbyterians so off to Northern Ireland they went.

I got "back" or "up" 20 generations.  Her first known ancestor was a personal friend, armor bearer and fighter for (King) Robert the Bruce.  For his service, he was given 10,000 acres of woods and built a castle on the edge of the woods.  17 generations of her direct ancestor's have lived in that castle--up until 1975.  

Her  ancestor's that emigrated to America, settled in Pennsylvania, were given several hundred acres of land there and made a settlement and eventually a town, that today bears their name.  It is in south west Pennsylvania.

I can't wait until she opens her book and gets her first glimpse of that loooong pedigree of her father's family.
======================
Therein lies the problem.  Printing the book.

I got the pedigrees printed and put together.  Took them up to the print shop to be printed out on long architect paper to fold into the book.

I came home and commenced to print out the pages for the book.  My new $40.00 printer is fantastic.  The colors for the photos are vibrant, the black print is sharp and clear.  Half way into the job, a notice came up on my page that the two inkjets were nearly empty.

No problem.  I snapped them out and ventured down to Brighton to Cartridge World to get refills.

They had no refills!  This printer is so new that they haven't received any cartridges as yet.

No problem.  On the way back home, I stopped at Staples.  The cartridges from the manufacturer only cost $26.00 for a twin pack!  
That's why I bought a new printer.  The inkjet refills for my old one cost, $35.00 for black, $50.00 for color.

Staples was out of stock for those particular inkjets.  BUT they could order them online and I would have them delivered to my home the next day--Tuesday.

While I was there, I decided to get a pack of the special paper I use.  It is 40#, matte finish, acid free paper.  Staples had none and guess what?  The manufacturer doesn't make it anymore.  They still produce the glossy paper, but not the matte.  The nearest kind they had was 28#, acid free.  It will work, but not what I really wanted.

So home I came.  No inkjets, but I could wait one day for them.  I'd do other stuff.
=========================
Tuesday arrived.  I had to go to the dentist for a filling, but when I came back, I saw a UPS truck pull out of the park and assumed he had delivered my new inkjets.

Nope!  
======================
I really wanted to get the books mailed out before the end of the month.
I really wanted to do that so I could get my last installment payment from my client.
I really wanted that payment so I could pay off my dental bill.
=======================
Maybe the inkjets will come today?  Although I was guaranteed next day delivery, you know how it is.  Businesses today seem to "over promise and under deliver".

ARGGH!!

Still and all, it's a magnificent genealogy and I think my patient client will be more than happy with what I found.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope they come today, Judy. You do such fantastic work, and I know the client will be absolutely thrilled!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like having to use my printer simply because it is expensive to buy the ink cartridges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good that your new printer is working out so well, it is always a gamble and i find, they don't last as long as they use to. but the silver lining to that is they are getting better and better...so it is nice to have a new one. i hope your cartridges come today, for me, ordering on line is always best and items seem to come very quickly!!

    i enjoy how excited you get about your genealogy work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be just as fascinating for you to find all this historical references of the genealogies that you do. I am sure your client will be so happy with what you've discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is a fascinating family history and they are from the same part of Ireland that my mom's family is from...went there for the same reason, too.

    I can't imaging glossy paper printing as well as matte. I hope you find what you want and I hope your clients appreciate that acid free paper will hold up longer, so worth the cost for projects like that. Do you also give your clients a CD or thumb drive?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounded exciting. Until, boom! Wrong paper. No refills!
    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds really exciting — Robert the Bruce! That was in the time of Sir William Wallace, I think, in the book “Scottish Chiefs”.

    Sorry you’re having such a time getting the paper you want and ink jets for your new printer. Maybe these days before the 4th they’ll be delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was browsing blogs and happened by yours. Enjoyed reading. I am very interested in your geneology reports and would love more information! :)
    My email is susanparr8702@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete