title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Got my hair cut Friday evening.  One side is shorter than the other. The back looks great, but it's a bit ragged where she tried to cut over/around my ears.  $17.00 with a $5.00 tip and pleasant conversation in a quiet salon--worth it. 

We got the heat wave during Friday night.  In anticipation, I closed up the house when I went to bed and turned on the A/C to 74.  The A/C helps so much to keep the house dry--that's the main thing to me, and of course cool.

Saturday, I stayed in all day.  I took down the curtains and washed them and the windows in my office.  This is one of the scary chores I have to do once a year, but I got my spring housecleaning done while it is officially Spring.

See that window ledge between my desk and the windows--I have to stand on that and press my calves back against the desk to keep my balance while taking down the valance and washing the windows.  I clear off my desk, so I can sit on it and spin my bottom around to get to the windows.



Windows all washed--on the inside at least.  The outside would involve a ladder and, well..........

I even dusted that big hunk of driftwood while I was up there.

The hardest and scariest part is hooking the valances back up.  I am so tall that my nose is level with that top frame and it makes me kind of woozy to stand there and bend down to see where the valance hooks are.


Well success.  Curtains washed, starched and ironed.  I didn't put a hand or elbow through the top window pane nor my knee through the bottom  one.  WHEW!

I stepped out at 9:00 in the evening to re-fill the Orioles feeder.  Still hotter than bling! I have to fill it twice a day.  I have two pairs of the beautiful orange and black birds.

Sunday, I stayed in all day too.  Mostly watching the golf tournament and a good movie.

Monday, stayed in all day again.  This is getting a little confining even for me.  I did get a hit on the genealogy I am doing that took me up to 1260, so that kept me busy all day--or 5 hours of the day.

My Maggie cat likes to sleep on a plastic bag.  I don't know why--seems weird to me.  So when I empty one out, I throw it down for her.  It looks a bit untidy, but.............

 Different day, different plastic bag--same result.
============================
So nice and cool and low humidity this morning.  Daughter Karen came over with an early birthday gift.  15 bags of dark brown mulch for my Lilac/Hosta garden.  I've wanted to get this done for a couple of years, but it was too much for me to do.

It was like a jungle in there.  Lilac suckers growing up all over, weeds, little Maple trees.  I sat in my camp chair and went along digging up what I could reach, Karen was on the inside, contending with cutting down the suckers, little trees and putting Round-up on the weeds.



By the time we got the clean-up done, it already looked 90% better.


Then she went to work, hauling bags of mulch and getting it all put down.

 Beautiful.
While Karen was putting down the mulch, I was packing yard waste bags with the debris we had cut out, trimmed and pulled up.  I wasn't in any hurry because the yard waste people come at 7:00am every other Tuesday morning, and I knew that today I had missed them.  I would have to store the bags in my shed for another two weeks.

I had one bag filled when I heard what sounded like the garbage truck.  I looked around and there went the yard waste truck up the street behind me.

Wait.  What?

I hurriedly filled another bag and hauled both of them out to the street.  Ran back to the wheelbarrow and stuffed another bag with what remained.  The truck was at my neighbor's, as I quickly hauled the last bag to the street.

I told the guy what happened.  

"I can't believe you are this late today.  You guys are never late."

"Well, we had some truck trouble this mornin', " he said.

Lucky me.

Karen was putting the last touches on the mulch and I was hauling tools back to the shed, when it started sprinkling.

Lucky us.

I was tired out, had a sandwich for lunch and watched my Soap.  I knew I had to go to the bank and also to Walmart to get some stuff.  I decided to wait until tomorrow.  Then, I noticed I had 1/2 litre of Diet Pepsi left.  So I hauled myself into my car and headed up toward Howell.  Stopped at the bank and then started on toward Walmart.  There was a lot of traffic and in order to get to Walmart, I would have had to move over two lanes to turn left at the light.  I just decided it was easier to stay in my lane and turn right into the Meijer store--what's the diff, right?

I dragged myself back toward where the Pepsi is located.  I figured I'd just get a couple of jugs to last me until another day when I felt more like shopping.  I saw the yellow sign, "10 for 10.  11th one FREE".  Oh.  My.  Gosh!

Now if I had gone to Walmart, I would have missed that sale and paid $1.58 for a jug of Pepsi.  If the yard waste men hadn't had truck problems, I would have to haul those 3 bags to my shed and in two weeks, remember to haul them all out to the street.  If Karen and I hadn't just finished up when we did, we would have gotten rained on pretty hard.

Those coincidences that I credit to God Happenings.  On the way home from the store, thinking about those 3 incidences, I just laughed and laughed.

What a great day!

11 comments:

  1. I think you live in God's pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard and window looks great! Karon gave you a very thoughtful gift of both time well spent with you and the mulch.

    Something must be wrong with my body because as hot as it's been---in the '90s---I haven't been hot nor did I have my A/C on. I do open up my house at night to let the cool air in and keep the shades down during the day to keep the sun out. That' helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mulch looks wonderful. Very attractive. When Bob died I stopped buying canned or bottled drinks. I make a pitcher of tea every day. Much easier than dealing with all those cans and bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful gift from Karen, the yard looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly a great and blessed and productive day. Your yard really does look amazing. Good on Karen for pitching in and bringing the mulch. And isn't it great to find a sale on soda pop? I love it when that happens. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a thoughtful thing for Karen to do, and a lot of hard work. Glad all the lucky coincidences happened to fall in your favor! That was terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter is a real sweetheart, not only to bring the mulch, but to spread it for you. Your yard is lovely.

    Want to thank you for allowing URL posts. So many Google bloggers are not putting that choice on their comment section. I appreciate getting to respond to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so happy to learn what all Karen had done for you; that's a blessing from a wonderful daughter! Beautiful yard, Judy.

    I'm also happy you got that dadgum ledge work done! And, the windows & curtains look fantastic.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen did a nice job. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks beautiful and thankful for that daughter
    On my Orchids, they get morning sun and filtered light from then on.
    Orchids fussy and have had some not make it but at present they like
    where they are and remember only water about 4 ounces once a week.
    I water on Thursday and use a fertilizer spray from Lowes once
    a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ernestine. I will try again. I think where I had my one, it was getting too much afternoon sun. I will try my next one by my east window. :-)

      Delete