title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Life at a slow pace..

I watched the Master's Golf tournament this weekend.  Golf is such a nice calm, relaxing, quiet sport to watch.  Quiet--nice and quiet.  I felt kind of sorry for the winner--on the 1st Tee, the crowd cheered wildly and long for his opponent Rory Mcilroy and only clapped politely for Reed.

None of the other golfer's like him--he won't talk to them, he is very OCD and takes a long time to make a shot.  I hear he has "divorced" his parents, who apparently have been very supportive, even moving their home to an area where he could "major" in golf in college.

Well, he won anyway.  Dumb kid.  He'll regret his choices someday!
==================
Golf and/or baseball are wonderful sports to watch on TV while cross-stitching.  I can listen to most of what is going on and only look up to see the re-play, if things get exciting.

Most X-stitch patterns have the "picture" of what I am working on, on the pattern page.  Like this one.
After  I have it done, I out-line it and it shows up real nice.


This Last Supper thing, I've been working on since New Year's Day, has no picture on the pattern pages (15 pattern pages!).  Only the squares with the symbol for what color is stitched into that square.  This piece has nearly 70 colors--very dark to lightest of each color.  


Placing the colors correctly makes the picture come alive under the needle.  I have no idea what I am working on, until a face/person starts appearing.

If I put a color in an incorrect space, that guy's face and eye would not show up.  Plus, there is no outlining done afterward.  It will look like an oil painting.

The way I keep track on where I am.
This is by far, the most challenging X-stitch I have ever done!  When finished, it will be 35.7" x 24.9".
I thought the Nativity one I did was difficult.  HAH.

The one neat thing that has come out of this--I did a bit of research on Da Vinci's notes, when he was setting up to paint this and he has all the disciples names and listed in chronological order--from left to right.
=================
I have lived quite a long time.  I have lived out in the country and more aware of my surroundings.  I have always been a bird watcher--could identify many by the time I was 6 years old.  We have a lot of birds out on the farm land.  My Mother could tell by their "call" and then she and I would have to search out that Blue Jay or whatever.

Robins eat only worms.  Right?  You don't see Robins sitting on bird feeders, eating the Sunflower seeds, the small bird seed.

I looked out my window yesterday afternoon and I saw something I have never seen in my life.  A big Red Robin, sitting on the suet cage, pecking at the suet!!!  
"Hey!  Go out and buy me some mealy worms!"

He must be really starving, and of course the ground is still frozen and no worms coming to the surface.
I have 4 Robins here.  I am looking out right now and they are hopping around the front yard, in the sun.

We need a good hard, warm rain!!!!

8 comments:

  1. I love how you keep track of your cross stitching. Very clever.

    I'm reading the new Tiger Woods book and the way he was raised it's too bad he didn't divorce his parents. He might not have screwed up so badly as an adult if he had. There's a difference between being supportive of a kid's nature talent and driving him/her so hard they have no real childhood or chance to develop an life skills outside of the sport they play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful captures of the birds and your latest stitching project is lovely ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you do beautiful handwork judy, i hope your family appreciates all these treasures. you can buy worms for the robins, i have done it, but they will be ok soon...they can back too soon!!

    i don't like golf, i am not really a sports lover. i know you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Golf. Played it for many, many years. I like it because it isn't a team sport. It was just me playing against the course--trying to get a better score than the last game. LOL

      Delete
  4. I just love it when you post! Good or not so good. I don't watch any sports at all .. in fact I don't watch TV at all anymore. Just TV series on Amazon or Netflix or Hulu. The news is all bad and depressing. I get the headlines (and the stories) from the NY Times and the internet.

    I did read an online story about your Masters winner ... a more understandable story about divorcing his family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cross stitch abilities are impressive. I can barely put a puzzle together these days.
    Not only the robins are ready for warm weather. I think we all are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very unusual about the Robin, yes!

    I had to smile about the golf show. Not because I've ever watched one but it reminded me of when my boys were little. Very little TV to watch then ( which was good ) but in the afternoons I'd put on Sesame Street and then right after that there was a painting show.

    This guy would paint and talk in slow soothing tones and within 10 minutes they'd conk out on the floor for a nap :)

    Your cross stitching skills are amazing and fun to see. You should consider hooking up to that Slow Stitching Sunday link up at Kathy's Quilts that I link up to....or check it out. There are many cross stitching projects there and I remember one lady working on a very complicated one for years ( SHE TOO kept referring to which PAGE she was on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading about the robin at your bird feeder. I had no idea that a robin would visit a feeder, and I often wondered how robins survive when they come back too soon. Thanks for posting this. Also, I marvel at your cross stitch project of the Last Supper. It's a real challenge. Nancy

    ReplyDelete