title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, April 27, 2018

Adventures

One easy peasey trip up to Walmart to pick-up a prescription.  No other shopping needed.  I decided to take in the 3 bags I had filled with empty Pepsi 2 liter bottles.  No problem.

Except--the machine would not take my bottles.  There were 5 machines open and not a single one of them would take the bottles.  I even tried each machine twice--with two different bottles.

So, I lugged the bags down to Customer Service.  The 2 cashiers were busy, but the manager, in her bright, yellow vest, came up and asked if I needed any help.  I explained the situation to her and she replied:
"I just checked an hour ago and all five machine are working."
I said, "I just came from there and none of the five machines are working."

Then, of course because I'm old, she questioned my mental capabilities.
"Perhaps you tried to put them in too fast."
"No.  The minute I placed the bottle into the machine, the red light came on and it quit working."
"Did you put it in bottom first?"
"Yes."
"Are they bottles from another State?"
"No.  I purchased them in this store."

Now she's going to get her huff on.
"Well, I don't understand.  I personally checked and all five machines work perfectly!"

Just as I was about to raise my hand and slap that snotty face, one of the ladies behind the cash register, spoke up.

"The Pepsi rep was in yesterday.  They made some changes, but he forgot to re-calibrate the bottle return machines.  They won't take any Pepsi products."

Miss Huffy turned and walked out, headed down to the bottle return area.  The cashier said, "Here let me help you."

She dragged an empty cart over to where I was and we started counting bottles.  Then she went to the register and gave me my $4.60.

I walked down to the Pharmacy, was first in line for my script.  No other customers.  When the girl said, "Ms. Judy.  How is your day?"  I told her of the incident and all the Pharmacy staff laughed and laughed.  As I left, the one kid called, "Always a pleasure to see you Missus Miller.  You brighten our day."

Bah Humbug!!!
=================
I have created a problem.  I feed the squirrels and birds all year 'round.  I decided years ago to feed the squirrels separately to keep them out of the bird feeders.  Worked great.  Usually, in the spring, the squirrels would quit eating from their feeder and go off to forage for themselves.

I filled the bird feeders and dumped out what was left in the squirrel feeder.  An hour later, I looked out and there were four squirrels, covering the bird feeders, tipping them to the side and gorging themselves, while my poor Finches, Cardinals, Nuthatches, Chick-A-Dees, Blue Jays, sat in the nearby bushes watching.

Dagnabbit!!

I watch Dr. Phil once in awhile.  He is very big on enabling and how not to do it.  You don't reward bad behavior.  Apparently, I have enabled the squirrels and now, if there is no feed in their box, they will just eat from the bird seed.  

So, off I went to the Tractor Supply farm store to get more shelled corn and peanuts.

As I walked in the store, I noticed a couple of cages with baby chicks and ducks in them.  I had to stop and talk to the fuzzy, yellow baby chicks.

Just then an older man came up and said, "Just buy a dozen of them.  You'll have all the eggs and roasters ya need."

I explained. "Oh...no thanks.  I don't like to eat eggs or chicken.  I grew up on a poultry and hatchery farm and I just wanted to see the baby chicks and listen to them peeping."

I've got forty-six Guinea fowl," he said.  "I could give you a couple of them."
"Oh my gosh!  It must be noisy at your place."
"Yep.  They are noisy...and ugly."
"Well, they make good watch "dogs.  Anybody drive in and you'll know it."
"I have them because they eat ticks.  All the tall grass around the out buildings are full of ticks.  Those ugly things eat ticks, so they don't get on my other animals."

Click here to see Guinea Fowl.

I went on to get two 5# bags of shelled corn, and a bag of shelled peanuts and unshelled peanuts.  Only cost $20.00.

On my way out, there was a much older man having a sales clerk load his pick-up truck with 6 heavy bags of fertilizer.

Of course, I had to engage him in conversation.

"How you gonna unload that when you get home.  It looks pretty heavy to me."
He looked frail and had a frail voice.  I noticed his hands shaking and thought he probably had Parkinson's.

"I don't know.  I like to spread the fertilizer on my garden and then roto-till it in before I plant."
"You know...hm-mm...you could put a wheel barrow under the tail-gate and slide a bag off and wheel it out to your garden.  That would be easier than trying to carry the bags."

He looked at me like I had just discovered sliced bread.

"Well now...gol damn...that sure would work.  I could split the bag and just spread it around by the shovelfulls."
"I think that would work great!"
"Ya know...I ask my son to come over and help, but he's always so damn busy that by the time he gets to it, it's a week past planting time."
"Oh boy, I know about trying to get help from kids.  They have time for everything else except helping their parents."
"Ain't that the damn truth?"

I walked on and loaded my trunk with my supplies and as I drove away, he lifted a shaky hand and waved good-bye.
==============
That adventure took just about as long as the one the day before at Walmart, but it sure was a lot more fun.  I felt like I had been conversing with a couple of neighborhood farmers.  Reminded me of home.

Got the squirrel feeder filled up and now it appears, that everyone is happy and at their proper feeding stations.


11 comments:

  1. We've had such a late spring that I don't think there is enough stuff out there for the squirrels to forage now. You might have to tapper off this year instead of cutting them off cold turkey.

    Don't you hate it when someone like that managers talks down to you! Glad you had other good conversations to balance it off.

    Five of my great-nieces/nephews are raising chickens now. I don't know where that comes from other than it's a big urban fad in my family. I've been promised fresh eggs when my nephew's company starts cutting my lawn this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to have to feed the dang rodents all summer!

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blog. (-: I had a guinea hen and loved her so much. A bobcat swiped her up one day. She was a great guard dog. To bad she didn't get away faster. They are noisy but fun to have around. It was nice you were able to offer the older gent some advice. I bet it made his day!
    We have a recycling center here where we live and I take all the cans/bottles there. We get a lot more money that way. Although for just a few it is probably easier to just do it there while you are shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My returns are all plastic 2 liter bottles. We have NO recycling in this park. When I asked and recommended it, their answer--which is their answer to any improvement was--"We'll have to raise your rent." and yet--the rent goes up every couple of years with no noticed improvements!!
      Sorry about the Bobcat incident!!!

      Delete
  3. walmart...i have a love/hate relationship with that place!! we don't return bottles for money here, we just recycle them at the street!!

    you have a great view out your window, it is similar to mine!!

    oh and i don't watch dr. phil, not a fan...is he even a doctor??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he is a doctor. I haven't watched him for years, but now to occasionally. He has some pretty whacked-out people on there. Always makes me feel better about my family who are so totally normal, in comparison. LOL

      Delete
  4. I always love to read your posts! You make life sound interesting. lol
    I don't need chicks, but I like to look at the baby rabbits when we shop at the farm store. Since none of my cats will allow me to pick them up, it would be nice to have a bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fed squirrels/birds for years. I just put all the food out in the saddle of the pear tree. Peanuts, sunflower seeds, occasionally crackers and/or pistachios. Sometimes apple/pear cores. Oh, and the garbanzo beans that come in the soup mix that I make every month or so. I hate garbanzo beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We feed the squirrels, too. What can you do? Everybody's gotta eat.

    I don't think the Guinea Fowl are so ugly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't feed squirrels 'cause I've only seen one since we've lived here. You'd think there would be more with all the trees we have.

    No Dr Phil for me either; glanced a couple of times lately and it reminded me of Jerry Springer. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't you just imagine having a couple of guineas up around your porch?!! If Far was ever able to come over again for an hour--- they might be a deterrence....Sometimes, as we gain in years, like the farmer, we need all the suggestions we can get! Maybe he was a widower, which means he has nobody else to throw out suggestions.
    This coming from the woman who, a few hours ago, saw a wanted posted in an older show for Osama. I thought, " On yeah, Osama bin Laama!! " 😖
    Now, do you think it might be time time to sign my SS over to a nursing honm?? What next!

    ReplyDelete