title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Works in mysterious ways........

I sat here, Thursday morning, and composed a post entitled, "Lost My Joy".

For the last couple of months, I have been sad, depressed, no ambition to do anything.  I was dreading going to lunch that afternoon.  Just didn't want to drive--see people--have to make conversation.  I didn't even feel like stopping in at The Farm, on the way home.

Hunting for a logical excuse to stay home.  There was none.

I figured I HAD to go.  I didn't publish that post, hoping that perhaps, if I went to lunch, maybe I'd have something better to post when I got home.

I dragged myself into the shower.  I loaded the dishwasher.  I kept looking at the clock, dreading Noon, when I had to leave.  I slowly got dressed, I don't even remember what I wore.

The Cuckoo clock told me it was Noon.  I loaded up my stuff, and with a sigh, got in the car.
==============
I wasn't particular with my driving.  I had set my cruise control on 55mph and was looking around at the fields and the changing colors on the trees. Trying to find something to smile about.

Noting different houses, farms.  The roads so familiar to me, meeting another car, every few miles.  Never any traffic of any kind, until I get to Durand.

That is probably why I didn't make a full stop at that stop sign.  I know that corner well.  When coming from the Farm, which is west of that stop sign, I always stop.  The brush is so high on one side of that corner, I usually stop twice.  Once at the sign, then ease out and stop again, trying to see.  This time, I was coming from the East and I could see real well.

Also, I had been thinking about my best friend, Arlene's childhood home, that I just just passed.  Thinking about her and our times together.  I saw no traffic, besides it is a 4-way stop, so I just turned right and went on.

At the next stop sign, another 4-way stop, I was so enthralled at noticing and exclaiming about the Purple and Gold mums, no cars coming, I "may" have idled through.
=================
Then I had my encounter with Deputy Lawson.  After our 15 minute relationship, I found my self laughing.  Smiling as I drove along.  Excited to tell my friends about the encounter.  Knowing they would laugh and joke about it with me.  I was a real speed demon in High School, so they thought I had been stopped for speeding.  "Ah--you finally got caught!" they all said.

I don't remember much about lunch, I was still thinking about Deputy Lawson.

Out to The Farm where I told my sister and BIL about my encounter.  

"We always stop at that stop sign.  I've seen cars blow right through there."

"Hm-mm.  Maybe that's why Deputy Lawson was there. Complaints to the Sheriff and he sent him there that day to watch?"
================
Friends, I don't know the how or why, but I have found my joy again, and it's Deputy Lawson's fault.

I wake up every morning smiling again.  I say a prayer for him, with a smile.  I can still see his face and hear his voice and all we talked about.

As one of you commented on my Friday post, "It was a God sighting."

I had been praying for God to help me find my joy again.  Praying for the last month.  So discouraged.  So sad and depressed.  Feeling so alone.  Then I met Deputy Lawson.

Nothing has changed in my circumstances.  I still don't have enough money each month.  I'm still alone.  I still fear dying in the middle of the night and not being found for a week--or more.  Everything is still the same, but...I have found my joy and positiveness that God will sustain me.

There is no one that could ever convince me, being stopped by the Deputy was just a coincidence.  God put Deputy Lawson in my path that day.  I know it for sure!!


14 comments:

  1. It's the power of a great smile from a younger man that gave you your joy back...just like I wrote about in my last blog where a smile from a younger man made me feel good for several days. I don't know...I think it makes us feel like a woman again. Not an old, sexless woman. Not a useless old person just bidding time but the smile touches something inside in a way that speaks to us in a way we needed at that moment in time. Call it God if you want. Me? I don't see a need to label it. Just enjoy it for however long it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a wonderful story of how Deputy Lawson and your encounter brought your joy back. I relate to your worry and anxiety and each day since the death of my dear husband that I find energy to do things I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had that encounter with Deputy Lawson and how happy it has made you. I hope your happiness continues on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how a 5 or 10-minute encounter with a stranger can sometimes move us so much, change our feelings, lift us up? When my father was in the long-term care facility, I truly learned the power of kindness. It is so underrated. I'm glad that Deputy Dawson was there that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The truth of the matter?

    I bet you did as much for his day as he did for yours.

    Amen?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure God was behind it all. Love these kinds of moments!!

    If you are really concerned about something happening to you and no one knowing, couldn't you arrange a short morning phone call with your sister each day just to touch base? I think that's a good idea for all seniors living alone. Things happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are no coincidences when it comes to our God. I think you needed something and someone out of the ordinary and God took care of it. I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you, that the depression, has lifted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes, it only takes one small thing and it changes everything. Proving it was not a little thing at all!

    I recently posted something similar on facebook, it just made me so happy. I'm Debbie Olson Ferguson on there, my timeline is open, read it if you have time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I do hope that you are still wearing that smile...especially when you drive by there again! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you had this God-timed encounter. Praying for you, dear Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He seems like the kind of person who would be overjoyed at the result of his kindly treatment of you. God bless him. xoxo

    ReplyDelete