title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Reminiscing

Homecoming week at my old High School, brought to mind these memories.  Same High School.

 1955

 1967

1976

1986--Sophomore-Jennifer


1988-Queen


I was in the 1st Homecoming.  Note--our crowns were silver painted cardboard with gold sequins pasted on in a star pattern.   At that time, a girl could be Queen, no matter what grade she was in.  Our Queen that year was a Freshman--which seems like kind of a waste to me because she has four more years to achieve.  That wonderful time should go to a Senior girl.  But.....the Queen was chosen by the teachers.  It's a small wonder I was even on the Court.  The Court was chosen by photos of us that were sent to the visiting football team.  My Mother encouraged me to send in my photo or I never would.  I had no self confidence at that time.

My boyfriend at the time--later husband--the Homecoming dance our 3rd date said, "You may not be Queen, but you'll always be my Princess."
I think that was the last nice thing he ever said to me.

Susan, a Junior at the time, and Daddy--back then and still today, Daddy's walk their daughter out onto the field.

Karen was a Sophomore and Jennifer was in Kindergarten and was chosen to be the little girl to carry the flowers that were presented to the Queen.
I made the girls dresses that year--pink Velvet and white lace overlay.  Jennifer had a little white fur coat and bonnet to wear over her dress.
first and last time I ever sewed on Velvet!

I guess Jennifer was the lucky one.  She got to be in the Homecoming festivities 4 times.  In Kindergarten, Sophomore and Queen when she was a Senior and then back the next year to crown the next Queen.
==================

 Another memory popped up on Face Book this morning:
Six years ago--- my youngest grandchild--Evan



I mailed out his 6th birthday present on Monday.
My goodness, so many things have happened in the last 6 years.

When I saw this photo pop up on Face Book, I gasped.  That very healthy, handsome man with me would be gone in 3 months and 4 days.  We just never know, do we.  
===============
Sometimes, like today, seeing this photo, I am so lonesome for him.  As I drove on up to Walmart to pick up my prescription, I drove by the lake--has a little parking space off the road--and thought of Fred.  He loved to stop there on his way up to Walmart or on his way back home. That's where he'd sneak one forbidden cigarette.

He always took his camera, because, he said, "You just never know if you might see a Swan or Blue Heron or something."

As I drove by today, I said, "Oh Fred.  Where are you, Sweetie?"

I think I get more nostalgic this time of year.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, letting an opposing football team pick the queen for your school wouldn't work today. You couldn't trust them to pick the cutest girl. In my school the seniors voted for the queen and the other classes for their corresponding court girl. A popularity contest which is just a notch up from a beauty contest. Never heard of teachers picking but at least they might take personality and character into consideration. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I just reread that and it was the court not the queen that was picked by the opposing team. Still a strange way to do it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful ladies, you, Susan and your girls. :)

    I know what you mean about this time of year.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great memories, Judy. Loved seeing these. You were lovely in your dress. Elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. I'm sure you will always miss him. I'm curious, from what did he die?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had diabetes, heart valve problem and COPD. His diabetes was well controlled. He had a new heart valve and pacemaker. His COPD was well controlled, he wasn't on oxygen. He got a lung infection--which usually happened every winter, went into the hospital on the 28th December and were going to do a simple procedure to clean out the bottom of his lungs. He died during the procedure, January 1, 2012.

      Delete
    2. I wondered what took him so quickly. We just never know.

      Delete
  5. Lovely picture of you!!!

    But then, you lost me. Are those your sisters? Then you switch to your daughters?

    Seeing a picture of him, like that, has to make you nostalgic. It's only human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan is my sister. Karen and Jennifer are 2 of my daughters.

      Delete
  6. You were so beautiful in your cardboard crown!! : ) Loved looking at all of your memories. My first husband passed when he was just 40. It was definitely very unexpected. There are certain times of the year that I think about him more than others. There are always going to be those sad moments but he lives on in his three sons. I hope you have a happy weekend, Judy!! xo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. i nice walk down memory lane - beautiful people!! you look good in your cardboard crown!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn has that effect, of bringing memories to the fore. It's bittersweet. All your pictures are lovely. I was never chosen for anything. Oh wait -- I was president of Drama Club, senior year. Go figure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete