title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, September 11, 2017

There's going to be a morning after-------

I got to use my new Black & Decker, corded, 17" hedge trimmers today! You know.  The ones I bought in July and have been sitting by my front door ever since.

I have so much gardening work to go and less then zero gumption to do it.

Why?  Because I know it is going to hurt!!!

The four Privet bushes on the east side of my house, had major ice damage, the winter of 2013.  That spring, 2014, they barely grew at all.  I thought they had died.  But, instead of having them pulled out, I had my BIL Chuck, come down and cut them off at ground level.
That fall, they started coming back.

Last spring and summer they grew even more and looked healthy.  This summer, one, the scrawniest one of the bunch looks the healthiest and had grown up to the bottom of my window and a few branches taller than that, brushing the screen.

What normally would take 20 minutes, took me an hour.  I could only hold the trimmer and cut for a few minutes before my back started screaming.  So, I got my folding canvas chair out of the trunk of my car and hauled it over to where I was working.

I trimmed the top and sat down to rest.  Then trimmed the back and both sides and sat down.  Then trimmed the front, hauled the chair and trimmer down to the next bush and sat and rested.  This routine x 4 bushes.

I hung up my trimmer in my shed and threw the long electrical cord in the wheelbarrow.  No, I didn't coil is up around my arm and hang it up because I will be using it again--maybe tomorrow.

I got the rake and a yard waste bag and swept up the branches from one bush, sat in my chair and put the branches in the yard waste bag--x 4 bushes.  That way I didn't have to bend over and pick them up from the lawn.

HEY!!!  You know me--where there is a will, I will figure out a way!  HAH!
======================
I found it curious that a Rose of Sharon was growing up the middle of one of the Privet bushes.  How that seed got from the west side of my house to the east, is beyond me.  You know darn well, if you wanted to grow a Rose of Sharon and planted a sucker, the dang thing would die before the next blooming season.  This capricious little seed pod, wasn't planted or cared for and was growing 5 feet tall already--and she wasn't there last year.
=================
 I sat in my recliner all day Sunday and watched the coverage of Irma--all day!!  Switching back and forth from The Weather Channel to FOX news, then CNN, to see who had the best, latest coverage.

By 10:00, I thought my head would explode!!!  Information overload!!!  Of course, as soon as I woke up this morning, I had the TV back on.  

I was kind of worried about my ex hubs and his sister--both family's have small manufactured homes that they winter in.  They are inland, but I was worried about the winds and/or a tornado.  His wife had mentioned at one time, that their trailer is "tied" down with large metal chain links into the cement slab.

I said, "Well mine is too.  So if a tornado comes along, the frame of your house will stay connected to the cement slab, but the rest will be destroyed."

Like I keep telling you, most of Florida is just a swamp, covered over with tons and tons of dirt so investors can build communities on top.  It's still a swamp underneath and when you get lots of water, you can get sink holes and when you get wind, you can get destruction.
===============
I was/am worried most about Jacksonville.  Although it wasn't going to take a direct hit, I was worried about the storm surge coming up the river and into town--which it has done.  

and--was it fascinating to see the ocean being driven way out.  In one place, the edge of the ocean was 1/4 of a mile from from where it normally met land.  Almost be like a mini-Tsunami when it came back in.  Weird.
==============
Well, selfish person that I am, I was just thinking how great the shelling will be at Sanibel or Captiva, today and tomorrow.

I got my one chore done, so tonight I am going to sit in my recliner, cross stitch and watch American Nija Warrior show.  I find it most interesting.

6 comments:

  1. You deserve a rest. Whew!
    I had a sweet autumn clematis at my last house that was on once side of the house, and another one popped up at the back of the house. Don't work too hard. You don't want to hurt anything that will take weeks/months to heal.

    Enjoy your cross stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't hurt myself. I just do a little bit each day. What I used to do in 6 hours, now takes me 6 days.

      Delete
  2. American Nija Warrior show? Now I'm shocked speechless. I guess I should try it before I judge Judy. LOL

    I thought the same thing about how it would be a great time to look for shells in Florida but I'd be afraid the mini Tsunami would get me. I did see people trying to save some of the ocean wildlife.

    I have friends in Bradenton I still haven't heard from. She said she'd post on Facebook when they were safe, "but not to worry, they could just be without power."

    Rose of Sharon will grow anywhere. I have to pull up at least 50 every year in my dog's pen. The only thing worse are wild geraniums. I hate those things! I had one plant and now they are all over the yard even though I pull them up and poison them whenever I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean--it's a great show--such athletic ability--almost like watching the Olympics.

      Delete
  3. Sally ('Whispering Hope' blog) is near Jacksonville. And I am so worried about her.

    She commented on my blog, on Sun. at 10am. I was so happy to hear from her then. But nothing since. no updates. And yes, they are getting an awful lot of water, in that area. -sigh-

    Net-knew of others, in other spots. Only heard from one blogger, that she had heard from her relatives, today.

    -sigh- It is a mess. And I agree, it is not some place I would want to live.

    I too watched tv, and got net coverage. I had updated twitters, from Weather Ch. and various cities, in the path. Plus TV. Until I felt it hurting ME. Then I quit. To come back later.

    Did the same as you, switched around, various tv channels. To find best and latest updates.

    THEN I could worry about those reporters, who stayed in the Keys and etc. !!!!! Sure! Worry about everything and anything. !!! YIsh! :-)

    And of course, I am still checking in, now above FL.

    Hope you take some Tylenol tonight. And tomorrow. Because of all that yard work, even tho you did do it, in a smart way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend in Florida who lives in Cape Coral managed to come through Irma with minimal damage, although she still doesn't have power. No AC and no fan and it's so stinking hot and humid down there!

    ReplyDelete