title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Good day

It is hot and humid again, so we are all closed up inside our homes--kind of like in winter, but the A/C blower is running, instead of the furnace blower.

I'm feeling pretty content and happy tonight because, I had errands and appointments this week and now I look at a blank calendar for the rest of the month.  I just simply enjoy the feeling that I don't HAVE to go anywhere.

I scored big time at the Food Bank this morning.  I found a 2# package of ground beef that I can make up into patties, freeze and have them when I crave a hamburger AND a package of 3 Rib Eye steaks!!!!  3!!!  Also got some Sweet Corn, Cucumbers, a few cans of cat food, 6 bottles of water, 1# of sugar, a box of biscuit mix and Cherry Turnovers!  I am just so happy to get the meat.  Maybe I can make it last for a month.

Came back home and what a mess.  My neighbor across the street, Jackie, has 6 car loads of people staying at her house, during the day, until Sunday.  They have no place to park, so they park on the edge of this narrow street.  I had a hard time getting my car out and back in my driveway.

Merle has parked his car in the other spot on my parking pad, because there were 3 large trucks, parked along the street by his house.  They are putting in a ramp for Pearl.

I managed to get down our now 1 lane street and out to the Doctor's.  He had a nurse practitioner student working with him today.  I gotta tell you, she's a lot better than he is.  I got a real check-up.  I even had to get up on the table so she could listen to my tummy sounds and check my legs and ankles.  Then she sat me up and checked my heart, my lungs, looked in my ears, nose and throat and listened to my carotid arteries and checked for lumps on my neck.

When she was done, the Doc came in and said, "Your blood work is perfect again.  Are you having any problems?"

"Nope.  Just back pain and the arthritis.  I wish I could take Prednisone every day for the pain."

"I know.  I'm sorry....because you are on the blood thinner, you can't take anything except Tylenol."

"That doesn't really work very well for me."

"I know...sorry.  You're very healthy otherwise.  Now get outta here and I'll see you in February."
======================

On the way home, I noticed the traffic light at the main intersection was out.  So we treat it like a four-way stop, right?  Except at that intersection, we have 5 lanes of traffic on each side of the street.  A right turn lane, 2 going forward and 2 left turn lanes--going in each direction.  The lights are coordinated to let the lanes go at different times.  It was 5:00, heavy traffic.

As I got to the dead light and was going forward, people were trying to turn left in front of us and come across from the other street.  Let's just say I was lucky to get out of there alive.  Just as I proceeded to cross other street, a guy decided he was going to come across from the street on my left--I saw him, stepped on the gas hard and he narrowly missed my back fender.

When I got home I walked down to Merle and Pearl's to check out the ramp.  It comes off their narrow back porch--they had built a wider landing, which is nice, but then the ramp goes down at a steep, at least it looked that way to me, angle.   If Pearl tries that in her wheeled walker, the walker is going to get away from her and she is going to fall.  If she tries to go up it with her walker or in a wheel chair, she won't have the strength of make that steep angle.

I kept any and all opinions to myself and will wait and see what happens.

She also has a new doctor that her daughter found for her.  She doesn't like my doctor anymore because he told her the reason she can't walk very well is because she rarely walks and just sits in her chair.  He advised her to keep moving and gave her instructions to at least walk out to the mailbox everyday.

She doesn't like the new doctor either.  "I don't like her attitude," she said.

"What was her advice?"  I asked.

"She told me I had to move around more.  I had to walk more."

Which, of course, is the same advice I have been giving her for the last two years.  When she sits in her recliner 12 hours a day, then tries to get up and walk, her legs are weak and her back hurts.  She did that all winter last year and then wondered why she could barely walk this spring.

Use it or lose it, Baby!!!

I did get some advice today from the nurse practitioner today.....drink more water.  She thinks the dizzy spells I get are from dehydration AND Diet Pepsi doesn't help, because of the caffeine.  I told her I was up to one bottle of water a day now.  LOL.  She told me to work my way up to at least 3 bottles a day.   I've had two today.  I have to pee every half hour!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. What ever happen to that guy with the dog, maise? I know the dog died but you don't talk about him anymore. Doesn't he come around anymore now that he doesn't walk the dog?

    I can't believe how little amount of water you drink! That really can cause dizziness. My sister-in-law was always falling and that was her problem, dehydration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John is working now--days in the summer, nights when school is in session. I saw him briefly the other day--I was walking up to Pearl's he stopped in his car and said, "Wanna a ride little girl. I have candy." HAH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it home!

    Hooray for food scores!

    Humidity here too. Ugh. A/C on, even though I hate shut doors/windows, in summer.

    I am a "nut" on hydration! I am always 'pushing' water on people. Drink more,please.

    Diet Pepsi. I hate diet drinks. They taste awful. The stuff they "sweeten" them with, is vile. Ever read all the INGREDIENTS???? Do you really want to be pouring all that unknown stuff, into your body, daily?

    Ok OK,. It's your body. None of my business.

    Stay cool. Stay home. With a glorious free calendar!!!!!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help myself!!!

    You 'beef' about your neighbors, who do not follow doctor's advice. And then, you do not drink all the water, you are told to.

    Ahemmmmmm.....
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    Sorry, The Devil made me do it!!!! >,-))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know I learned the hard way about not drinking enough water. She gave you good advice, and good for you drinking the two bottles yesterday. I hope you had at least one more. I'm not to talk though about drinks, however I have cut down to one can of coke each day. I was reading again about how 'harmful' it is, but hey I've been doing it for well over 70 years. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. And once you get used to drinking enough water, your body will crave it! It may take a month or two. I got a Britta pitcher here as I can smell the chlorine when it is right from the tap. Also, take a water WITH you in the car. Then if there is traffic, you can do something healthy for yourself.

    Great check up! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love being home - i adore a blank calendar!! i am able to keep myself busy, just like i can during the winter, taking pictures, scrapbooking, crafts, plants, cooking, baking, cleaning, organizing......

    drink, drink, drink!!! it is so important right now, during these hot days!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to drink a lot of water - YOU MUST drink more water
    My mom drank diet Pepsi, could not get her to stop, drank this instead of water, she could not stop.
    not good for you and it can become an addiction.
    so please take care of yourself, I always have but now when 80 arrives a lot changes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You would be wise to cut out the diet pepsi. Just drinking water is much better for your health. And like you tell your friend, Pearl, keep moving. Just think, all those bathroom trips keep you walking!

    ReplyDelete