title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Delightful Day

Weather perfect.  That makes 3 days in a row.  

Last night I got an e-mail from Karen and it read: "I have an appointment tomorrow morning.  Can I come out after wards and talk to you."

That last sentence sort of gave me a chill and I wondered, "Good Grief!  What have I said or done wrong now?"

Ever since the "to do" with Jennifer, which was in reality a huge misunderstanding, I get a kind of queasy feeling when one of my kids wants to "talk to me."  It kind of sounds like I am going to get a tongue-lashing.  You know, the old, "We need to talk," scenario.  Nothing good ever comes with those words.  I worried a bit about it and then thought, "I can't do a thing about it, so........."

She arrived at 9:45 and limped up the steps.  I opened the door for her, looked down and her left knee was swollen and black and blue with a scar!

"What happened!"

"I had knee surgery last Tuesday.  I just got the stitches out today."

"Why didn't you tell me?  I would have prayed for you."

She waved her hand at me, "Oh, Mom.  It was so quick and fast and I've been busy.  As they were wheeling me into the operating room I wondered, 'Did I call Mom and let her know'"

"And you didn't."

"It's fine.  No big deal.  I was home an hour after the surgery.  It was just an arthroscopic repair."

Like the time she called me from the hospital parking lot and said, "Mom, I thought I'd better call and let you know.  I'm having a hysterectomy today."

We had a wonderful conversation.  After the first 20 minutes I realized, she was just here for a visit, not a scolding.  She was here 2 hours!!!!!!  She told me about what all the grand kids are doing.  We talked about her and her siblings going up north for a weekend together.

I thanked her for getting me over to her house so I could see Jen and her kids.  Then she said something that made my day---no--my year.

Jennifer's husband Eric, was so angry at me 4 years ago and hasn't spoken to me since.  If I had the opportunity to go pick up one of the kids for their birthday supper--which was the only time I was allowed to see them, when he saw my car drive him, he'd go upstairs or out into the garage.  Eric is one who will hold a grudge forever.

I noticed the day I went to see Jen and the kids, that he was in the kitchen when I walked in and said, "Hi, how are you?"  To me.  When I hugged him, he didn't resist or pull back.

Karen told me that morning, Eric had asked Jen, "Shouldn't we go over and visit your Mom?"  Jennifer was busy getting the kids breakfast and said, "Sure, if we have time."  

Karen said, "I thought, I'm going to make this happen," and she said to Jen, "I'll call her and see if she can come over."
=======================
I know--this sounds weird, but after Karen left today, I just sat and pondered.  I feel like I am no longer the pariah of the family.  I no longer feel rejected, neglected or left out.  I feel content and although,  my four youngest grandkids live far away, and I might not see them for another year or so, that's okay too.  It's been a long 4 years, having this heavy sadness on my heart, and now it's gone.

=========
After Karen left, I turned on the TV to watch the noon local news.  About 4 minutes into the program, the TV went black. I checked my phone--dead.  I came in here, no Internet connection.  Our Cable service was dead!  

It is a strange feeling to be without Cable service.  I have come to reply on these electronic devices, that the house seemed to quiet.  I couldn't make a phone call and I couldn't finish my FB games.  I was gonna miss my Soap!  YIKES!!

I walked over to Dar and Pearl's and sure enough, they were out too, so I knew it wasn't just me.  Dar called Comcast to report the outage.

I decided to go up to the gas station.  As I was pulling out of the park, I saw the Xfinity repair truck coming in.

When I got home, everything was still dead.  What to do.  Well, the TV still worked, we hadn't had a power outage, so I turned on the DVD player and watched a good movie.  When it was over, the TV, phone and Internet were working.  Come to find out, some construction guys in the back of the park had cut the main Cable line.  Every thing's all better now.
====================
Supper tonight.  Salmon patties and Sweet Corn.

Yes, and my bottle of water.

<Oh, by the way, just to make you all feel better, I now have to get up in the middle of the night to pee.>

I'm going "home" tomorrow afternoon.  When Susie called to see what time I was coming, I asked her, "How long has it been since you made Broccoli salad?"

"A long time, " she said.

"Man, I've been craving it all week."

She called back 30 minutes ago.  "Now you got me craving it.  I'm going to run into town tomorrow morning and get some grapes and Broccoli, that's all I need.  You can take some home with you."

YAY.  I think tomorrow is going to be another delightful day.

11 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that the family Cold War is over. It makes it easier on everyone and I couldn't be happier for you.

    I hate it when cable is down. I'm getting service call on mine tomorrow....just one of my TVs isn't getting the signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a relief for me. It just makes me angry at myself that I wasn't strong enough to say, "oh, who cares," and go about life. I just didn't like it when my children were mad at me. It made me so uncomfortable around them--worrying I would say or do something that might offend them. HAH!

      Delete
  2. So happy you had a great visit with Karen, and back to normal with Jen and her hubby. I know this all does your heart a world of good.

    And, now I must scold you. I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee, and it's your fault. The power of suggestion, so thanks pal. Kidding aside, so glad you're drinking water!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Pal. About 3:00 am every night for me. I'm getting so I can get up, walk to the bathroom and back to bed, without opening my eyes, and right back to sleep. We do what we have to do. LOL

      Delete
  3. I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!! and that about says it. :-))))

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  4. And if I am happy for you, how can I 'gloat' that you now have to get up in the night, to go to the bathroom, hu...????

    So ... I ... won't.

    ,-)

    Hugs, Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you. Now hopefully you'll get to spend more time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great about your nice long visit with Karen. What a relief. We've had internet service issues as you know, and it's no fun. The workmen were out again today, fiddling around outside. Now you've got me craving that broccoli salad. I love the dressing on it! Maybe when Andrew comes home from Afghanistan in September, we'll have a cookout and I'll bring that. Thanks for reminding me of it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, this is such great news. I'm so happy for you.
    Every time I see construction going on in our area, I look for the power or the cable to go out. Glad yours wasn't out too long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well. Patience really has paid off for you! I started following you after the big "incident" so not really sure what it was all about. Wouldn't it be nice if people could just allow people to have their own personalities ... and go with the flow.

    SO HAPPY you have your family back!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure 'bout the 'incident' either...but it's great to hear you don't feel guarded and 'under the gun' now! A two hour visit from your beautiful daughter, too! Enjoy it to the max, Judy!

    ReplyDelete