title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Yeah but..........

I had to go to Walmart yesterday.  Yesterday--the afternoon of the 14th--Valentine's Day.  They had one small area of Valentine's cards--the entire rest of the display was fast becoming the Easter cove.  Seems like they could have waited at least until the 15th to start changing their display.

Oh--I am so critical of stuff lately.  It's like I commented on Jean's blog this morning: "Why do I think I am the teacher of the world?"

Lately I feel I am disagreeable, just to be disagreeable.  When told something, it seems I have to take the Devil's Advocate and espouse on the other side of the story.  I am finding there's a lot of "yeah, but...." in my sentences.  

In my opinion (here I go again), this world of ours is in such upheaval, I can't quite cope with it.  People are still arguing about the stupid election.  Democrats are still going nutz about it, without realizing it was their own party that got comfortable and blase and didn't realize how much unrest there was with their President's policies.  Republicans are still going nutz and trying to justify every idiotic thing the now President is doing.  I find myself yelling at the TV when the nightly news is on.

Stop the immigrants!  No, let them in.  Yeah but, Clinton stopped immigration.  Yeah but, Obama stopped immigration.  Yeah but, Roosevelt stopped immigration.  Why isn't Trump allowed to stop immigration?  You want to come to my country?  Fine, get in line like my Great Great Grandpa did!

Liberals are supposed to be tolerant of other's beliefs.  Yeah but, they aren't, not if you don't agree with them.  They will argue and try and wear you down to their side.  I have been called ignorant on Face Book because I didn't agree.

Ain't happening here.  Their rants and arguments just make me want to set my feet even firmer and I quit listening to their reasons.  All the Face Book shared links, aren't going to change any one's mind to your side of the coin.  So give it a rest and let's go back to being kind to each other--no matter which side we are on.

Abortion?  Back in the day, people didn't talk about their beliefs so much, but if they did, you allowed them whatever way they wanted to think and live.  Oh sure, you might have shaken your head, not visibly of course, but they went along with their life and you went along with yours.  As a genealogist, I often think, "What if that child had been aborted?  After all, they had 10 kids as it was.  They could barely afford to feed the ones they had."  Yeah but.....if it had been aborted, there would be one less branch on that family tree, and oh look--that 11th child is the one that I am descended from.  

Planned Parenthood?  Back in the day, it was THE place to go to be taught about birth control, family planning, how to care for a newborn.  You could get fitted for a diaphragm for free, if you didn't have insurance.  In the '60's, if you didn't have insurance, you could get your free birth control pills there.  Now people want to portray it as a killing field?  Yeah but......I'll bet you can still go there for birth control and lessons taught and NOT just to have an abortion.

It seems most of life now is all based on politics.  People living on Welfare generation after generation.  When did they stop wanting to build a life for themselves?  Something they and their family could be proud of?  Yeah but........there are still a lot of people that really need the help.  Old people like me.  A young couple that aren't educated enough to find decent jobs to support their babies.

Liberals calling Trump Republicans rebels and radicals.  Yeah but....back a couple hundred years ago, there were Rebels and people radical in their thinking and nowadays we call them Patriots.  They were the ones that built this country.

Back in the day, religion wasn't talked about much.  You met and conversed with Agnostics and you didn't try and sway them over to the Christian way of thinking.  If you were a Christian, you believed in God and that Jesus was Him sent to earth in human form, that Jesus died and was raised up alive and lives in Heaven and if you believe all that, you will go there when you die.  Pretty simple.  

Now we have Evangelical Christians and Westboro Baptist Christians.  We have Catholic Christians who still hold to the old rules of the church and ones who want to bring in all new stuff with their weird thinking.  We have people that think you can't be a Christian if you judge the way others live.  Yeah but....Jesus judged.  God judges.  We have to be able to judge a person's lifestyle to know if we want to be part of that crowd or not.  We don't judge them to their face, but in our minds.  Love the sinner, hate the sin?  

Christians have gotten a bad name and it's too bad.  We used to be thought of as nice, calm, upstanding people, who would help anyone that needed it, work with the poor, take a refugee into our home, visit the prisons, give anonymous gifts to people in need and not say a word of what we had done.  We still do that, most of us aren't radicals on the far, far Right.

Now we have Christians for Trump.  What?  Yes, there are Christians who supported Trump.  There are Christians who supported Obama.  There are Christian Liberals and Christian Conservatives and one Christian Moderate who lives in this house.  What is a poor old-time Methodist to do?  and Yeah but...how can Trump be thought of as a Christian with his language and his ways?  Maybe a christian with a small "c", a "baby" christian?    


See?  There I go again.  And---why does any of it matter?  In our own lives...does any of this really matter?  I never used to be critical of anyone or anything.  I never used to use the word "stupid" about anything or anyone.  Years ago, if I had noticed the Easter collection going up way too early in a store, I would have laughed about it and been glad I could grab a box of Peeps early.  

It is what it is!!!  I only have to take care of this small part of the world.  So I am going to try real hard and breathe, and live as calmly and as nicely as I can and instead of Yeah but....coming into the conversations, just a gently nodding of the head.  A nodding of the head doesn't necessarily mean I agree, it just means, I understand where you are coming from.  

My stomach will ache less.  My nerves will be better for it.  My whole life will be better for it.  I will continue to pray every morning and night and thank God for all I have, because I know that I know that I know---I would not be in as good a state as I am in, without some sort of divine intervention.

I will do this, because it is my way of life.  You will continue to believe in whatever way you believe, because it is your way of life.  We will be non-critical of each other-----PLEASE----and maybe, just maybe, we can still be friends and love each other?

16 comments:

  1. My late husband was on Prednisone - actually, dexamethasone, 6 times stronger than prednisone - for months- ARGH! - for his cancer. He would take 10 mg (equal to 60 mg Prednisone) 4 consecutive days every week. He'd be a juiced up ever-ready bunny. In his mind he could do it all, and do no wrong. Man, he could be so cranky and perfect; there was no reasoning with him! We caregivers had to band together - when our husbands were on that drug. We used to come up with all sorts of mean things we'd do to our 'patients'. Mine was to have him committed if I didn't kill him first! I hated that steroid!!

    So your crankiness might be your side effect of 10mg Prednisone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred was on it, off and on, for his COPD, but he never got cranky.

      Delete
  2. The world would be better stagnate if we all see and didn't have different opinions...If we all see and act the same. Who knows we still might be living in the cave and drawing picture on the walls.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you feel better getting all that off your mind, Judy. LOL If you talk that way in your offline life, no one would ever wonder where they stand with you. But I'll be you don't. You're probably like me and keep it bottled up to share in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, aren't you the smart one. Of course I don't act like that in my "real" life--no one would recognize the nice, agreeable lady they have all known for 70+ years. My blog--my diary, where I ponder on things, then rant them down, and then think, a couple hours later, that I should go back and delete. LOL

      Delete
    2. Don't do that, don't delete! That's want makes blog reading so interesting and fun. i.e. we get to see what goes on in each others heads.

      Delete
    3. JUDY "Of course I don't act like that in my "real" life--no one would recognize the nice, agreeable lady they have all known for 70+ years."

      Wow!!!! You don't act like that, in your Real Life???!!!??? HOw in hell do you keep it all bottled up??!!??? I don't think that is good for your health either.<--Just me talking of course.

      I have not been a nice, agreeable lady, for years!!! I dropped the "sweet, young thing" persona, in my 40's, and kept right on dropping more of it, every decade. And I am now nearly 80!!!! >,-)))))

      My husband has been married to me, for 58 years. But he has also lived with maybe 5 different women, in those 58 years. ,-)))))) It makes life, more interesting.

      Luna Crone

      Delete
  4. Applause! We all need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and count to 10.

    I think "olden" ladies, being cranky, used to be sort-of-allowed. It may well have gone-with-the-territory. And if we were cranky, others would smile and go on their way.

    But now!

    Everyone is cranky! Everyone! And everyone is trying to convince everyone else, of their correctness! And the sound is getting deafening! And no one is hearing anything! Because everyone is screaming at the top of their lungs!

    -sighhhhhhh-

    And as you said, all this crankiness and screaming, is not, not, not good, for our health.

    Personally, I like to do things, or refrain from doing things, because they are good for me. It's a form of "Charity Begins At Home."

    Soooooooo, I know I need to drop my grumpiness, and not deal in screaming. For Me!!!!! For me! For me!

    Best of luck to you. Best of luck to me.

    And a big helping of gentle hugs, too.

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good if you can make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know - define cranky?! Just be yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing things I'd like to but can't. And don't delete!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness you got that off your chest. :) I guess we all have to try a little harder. Question: does the Prednisone affect your appetite?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect little tirade! Thanks for NOT deleting it. Our blogs ARE our personal story so let us have it when you need to blurt it out!!! We are all supportive of differences of opinion, I think. Such a safe place, the internet, sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry but you can't defend Planned Parenthood. I don't know about the '60s because I was a kid then, but now their business is abortion.

    ReplyDelete