title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, February 3, 2017

Collections.....

Debbie, over at All About Purple, blogged about her massive collection of Sea Glass.  I had asked her about it a week ago, so I was tickled to pieces to see her post.  I have 3 pieces of sea glass--that's it.

Living in Michigan, we are surrounded by the 5 fresh water Great Lakes.  We occasionally find a piece of sea...or lake glass I suppose it would be called, but mostly, on our lake shores we find rocks!  Interesting rocks.  I have collections of different kinds of rocks, gathered here in Michigan, and from every State I have visited.  My favorites are the heart-shaped rocks I have found.


all kinds of stones 


I found this while looking for info on our State rock--the Petoskey Stone.  I had no idea that at one time Michigan was located near the equator!  Apparently I have forgotten everything I ever learned in college Geology I and II, about Continental Drift.

"Well before dinosaurs roamed the earth, over 350 million years ago during the Devonian period, the land we know as Michigan was located near the equator. Covered by a warm, shallow, saltwater sea, the colonial coral hexagonaria percarinata thrived with other marine life in tropical reefs. The earth’s plates moved and pushed Michigan north to the 45th parallel and above sea level, which created dry land formations. More recently, about two million years ago, glacial action scraped the earth and spread the fossils across the northern Lower Peninsula, depositing major concentrations in the Petoskey area. The prehistoric fossil, unique to the Traverse Group rock strata, is called the Petoskey Stone and is Michigan’s official state stone."

I have Petoskey stones--many, many, collected by the Lake Michigan (west) side of the State.  



One week, in 1985, I was having a very difficult time in my life.  Newly divorced 10 months before, and dumped by my first "rebound" boyfriend, I packed up my station wagon and headed to Lake Huron (east) side of the State.  As I drove along the shore-line, I saw some little cabins, built on the sand, about 100 feet from the Lake.  I stopped and rented one for four days.

Let me tell you--it was tiny.  Probably 200 sq. ft, bed, two kitchen chairs, small table and a bathroom.  It was perfect.  I unloaded my stuff and then walked along that shore-line for a mile or so--looking down, always looking down for any interesting rocks or the occasional shell I might find.

There was a full moon that night and around midnight, I walked out to the shore-line.  I was crying and so distraught.  I looked up and the light from the moon shimmered on the water.  It looked like I could walk on the path of that light right up into Heaven.

I took one step into the water, then another.  Following that path of light across that big Lake.

I do not remember anything after that.   I woke up the next morning, naked in the cottage bed, with a pile of my wet clothes on the floor.  

What had happened?  Had I tried to drown myself?  I can't swim and yet, there lay the evidence that I had been in water up to my neck.  I felt shaky.

I jumped into some dry clothes and walked out to the spot where I had been that night.  The sun was shining so brightly and a nice warm breeze.  I tried to remember the night before.  I remember starting to walk into the big Lake, but...............nothing else.

I looked down at the rocks along the water's edge and saw what I thought was a Petoskey Stone.  Couldn't be--they are found on the other side of the State, many water miles away.  I reached down and picked it up.  Oh My God!  It was!

 It is only as big as my thumb nail.  I carry it in my coin purse, these last 32 years, because that little stone showed me that if it could somehow travel from Lake Michigan, up the shore-line, under the Mackinaw Bridge and down the Lake Huron shore-line to exactly where I was standing?  All things are possible!!
=================== 


13 comments:

  1. hehehe "massive collection" lol...

    i think your glass is considered beach glass, which believe it or not is a little different, but just as beautiful. google it, it's interesting. i also pick up rocks and sheets as well, it's just that my main focus is glass!!!

    such an eery story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This, sounds something like "Gift From The Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. She too, went away, to a small cottage... On water.

    And your moonlight experience... It would seem that even from the fact that you didn't drown yourself(!!!), you would be open to many things, which are not really explainable.... Yes?

    I love that!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a Michiganer I've heard a lot of Petoskey stone stories. This one is probably the most dramatic. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being in Traverse City scouring the water's edge of Lake Michigan looking for Petoskey stones and not finding a single one. Then one day we took a side trip to Torch Lake and between 5 adults and 7 kids we must have found a hundred of them! I still have all of mine, of course. Then a few years ago Rich and I were at Torch Lake and I looked and looked and didn't find a single one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All things are possible. Great recollection to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Was Quite An Experience Waking Up And Not Remembering. I had one of those myself many years ago; it must have been God watching out for us both. Not to discount the fact that He does so all the time.

    This makes me wish I could be in a little cottage by the water.

    Xoxo
    (I have no idea why there were caps on the first comments. Exactly why I can't wait to get back on my desktop)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Was Quite An Experience Waking Up And Not Remembering. I had one of those myself many years ago; it must have been God watching out for us both. Not to discount the fact that He does so all the time.

    This makes me wish I could be in a little cottage by the water.

    Xoxo
    (I have no idea why there were caps on the first comments. Exactly why I can't wait to get back on my desktop)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going alone to stay by a quiet lake, in a tiny cottage sounds quite like something I need right now. I get kinda down when, after nearly 51 years of marriage, it's sad to think the one I married so long ago is unwilling to try and keep his big temper tantrums under control, never respecting me around others. (Only when I'm sick is he more quiet.) People think he's a wonderful guy at church...but we don't see others in the privacy of their homes, do we?
    Do all older (and younger!) men feel SO entitled---to everything?
    I know I could never leave now...but I really enjoyed a 21 day hospital stay an hour from our house. Yes, I almost died at home, but they 'brought me back', and treated me with such respect and kindness. My three young male nurses, Jon, Jose and Tony (China, Mexico, Puerto Rico!) were so dear and quiet. No egos! The other nurses were wonderful, too. How can they all come in your room smiling everyday---no matter what's going on in their own lives in an uproar often! I admire them so much!
    It was the best vacation I can remember in all my 67 years--- and I came home with souvenirs-- a small clot in my leg and 1 in my left lung!!
    Sorry I stopped by tonight and complained in your comments, Judy. I should write on my own blog!! I'm having a down time lately; thinking about my grandson with Crohn's isn't good. Worrying about anything does no good!
    Would you please pray for David, Judy?
    Thanks, Trudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your husband acts that way because he is scared? He seems his life coming to an end. He hasn't accomplished all he had once dreamed of doing. Instead of finding comfort and assurance from you, he lashes out, as you are the closest one to hurl hurtful words. I have seen it in others and also in women. After decades of marriage, they hate each other. I must say, living alone does have its advantages. No man will ever again abuse me physically or emotionally. As for your grandson--know, he is on my prayer list. My own son's cancer has gone into remission, so he has been moved from the top of the list to 3rd position. LOL. There are so many that need prayer.

      Delete
  9. I think you're right, Judy, and it's not rare to hear him say, "I'm almost 70 years old---I can do or not do what I please!"
    Yes, I'm the only one his rants fall on, and he feels we've been married so long that I pay no attention. (His words.) Well I'm 67, and it has become more noticeable to me. I guess we all could use a little more respect! And prayers, definitely---the evil in this world is nothing new, but maybe we older ones remember more 'innocent times'---or so we thought. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a eerie story. It's like you blacked out without drinking. What a life altering moment, that moment when you turned back to the cottage, soaked from head to toe. That little stone the next morning... It's funny how God sends these little signs only we understand. I'm so glad you look and listen to God. :-)

    ReplyDelete