title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

February--or, dark and dreary in the North.

While January always has felt like a new time, a time to get inside chores done and clean up the house, February has always felt like drab, dark and dreary to me.  "The longest month of the year," my Mother used to proclaim.  Usually not enough clean, white snow to cover the dead gardens/lawns and not enough sun to brighten up the dark spaces.

February used to be a much dreaded month for me.  Not so anymore.  I don't know why.  My sister is still affected by it.  Is it my Ott Daylight lamp I sit under while I stitch?  Or is it, that at this age, time goes by so fast that by the time I realize it's February, March is knocking at the door?
========================
I finally got all the ham sliced and packaged and frozen from the half ham Karen gave me for Christmas.  Sunday, I put that bone in the Crock Pot.  Monday, I added the cabbage, onions, carrots and potatoes.  I enjoyed a nice dish of boiled dinner for supper.  I have frozen the rest.  8 plastic snap-tight containers.



I also attended a Memorial Service for my cousin's husband on Monday.  It was lovely.  I have never been to a Memorial service and it seemed different than a regular funeral.  Better, more relaxed than a funeral.  Perhaps because the deceased person is not reclining in a casket at the back/front of the room?

Each of his children got up and talked about memories of their Dad, and a lot of the grandchildren did also.  It lasted a long time--over two hours--with lots of songs too.  But, I was so engaged that I didn't even get fidgety.  Which is unusual for me.

I want lots of music at my funeral too.  I have a song picked out for a duet to sing, and 3 songs for the people to sing.

The first song we sang at the Memorial service was, "Jesus Loves Me."  I just might add that to my funeral.  
================
Not too much else going on.  Creating pedigrees for genealogy.  Making copies of a book for other family members.  Running up to town to get new inkjet cartridges, the usual household chores and...
I am really having fun with this cross stitch.  It is going to be just the right size for over the back door.


14 comments:

  1. Memorial services where family talk are always heartwarming, aren't they. You learn things you didn't know and see the deceased through other people's eyes.

    Cross stitch is coming along great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect your Ott light help but also suspect age is also a factor. March is the month that gets to me here in the Pacific Northwest. By then it's rained so much I think I absolutely can't stand another day of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh you have gotten a lot done on the cross stitch and it looks great. you are multi talented!!!

    i like february because it is a short month and it seems to fly by, then we are a lot closer to spring!!

    the ham looks really good - i don't usually like hot ham but i do love a good ham and swiss cheese sandwich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, winter does get tiresome, this month, and into March too. One day, never know when, it really begins to "get to me." And I start posting pictures of islands in the sun... Empty beaches... A little grass shack... Etc. LOL

    But I'm no where near that yet. I'm still able to be happy in each month, as it comes.

    But one of these days! I'll have to break out the Hawaiian music and the beach pictures.

    We have a little ham and cabbage, for the crock pot, for this weekend. I never used to like such. Or I thought I didn't. But now, I do.

    Maybe it's because we no longer live like "butter-is-the-devil." We use it! Not a huge amount, but we eat Real Food. And our blood work is fine.

    And any one knows that everything is better, with butter applied. Even cabbage! ,-)

    Happy February!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't recall my mom saying anything about Feb. Toward end of the month we have a few warmer days.
    Wish for dinner....Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dislike January...much too cold and dark. I don't mind February because once it's gone Spring isn't too far behind. And daylight saving starts March 12th.

    I think I have attended 3 Memorial services in my life. I much prefer them to being in the same room as a body. I don't like funerals for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a real fan of January around here. Cold and sunny seems to be the norm, and I don't mind the early dark. But February....ugh. Usually the rains come back, and they could last a few months in this neck of the woods. It's a good month for quilting projects, reading the books stacked up on my desk, and just laying low.

    I look forward to seeing your finished "shell" project. I can tell it's going to be really lovely. And so happy you found the Noah's Ark project you wanted. That one is really sweet. Lucky baby!

    I lost a dear friend this week....she was 91 and didn't survive her bout with the flu/pneumonia. Her memorial service is Monday. I miss her so much. We talked 2-3 times a week (besides seeing each other at church on Sunday), and together we solved the country's political issues, analyzed every Seahawks football game, shared recipes, stories, and laughter. I know she's with her Lord and Savior, but gosh I miss her.

    I can't seem to leave a comment without choosing "Anonymous"....to that is what I'm using.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the seashells with the white and blue against the natural .
    I don't mind any of the fall and winter months, but I'm hot-natured so summer isn't a favorite. Just arthritis grinds in my bones in thenĉold, damp months.
    I have an Ott ligbt, too, but not very pretty. I don't use it as much since I can't see well because of these cataracts! I have been knitting a scarf with net-like Sashay yarn...it's just annoying to straighten out the strand as it comes from the skein. They turn out quite ruffly, though. You can also crochet them, too.
    That ham and cabbage soup looked so very good. I'm not supposed to eat leafy green veggies now I must take blood thinner and I miss them dearly
    Have a great weekend.
    Trudy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm good with February. March is a windy month and can be destructive, but we often get some nice days toward the end. Before you know it, it will be spring. The cross stitch will be perfect for its place above your door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, your pot of food looks good!

    Can't say I've ever enjoyed a memorial service or a funeral, even the Irish wakes. I would like to see your cross stitch projects in the front of the church at your funeral. They tell so much about what and who you love. That, I could enjoy, but talk of your funeral leaves me sad, for I'd not be able to attend. I hope you have a way to alert all your blog readers!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always interested in your projects, but then I feel so lazy. Love the cross stich you're working on now! Mom used to do that, so pretty. I had a blog friend years ago in Canada who made one for me so I'd have some thing to remember her by. She had cancer and passed not long after.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always interested in your projects, but then I feel so lazy. Love the cross stich you're working on now! Mom used to do that, so pretty. I had a blog friend years ago in Canada who made one for me so I'd have some thing to remember her by. She had cancer and passed not long after.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I told my family that I don't want them to spend a lot of money on a funeral for me. Told them to cremate me and sprinkle my ashes in Lake Michigan during a beautiful sunset! It has to be a beautiful one, though, so they may have to go back once or twice in case it's cloudy or something! I used to cross stitch all the time but don't have patience for it anymore. Maybe after I retire I'll pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, your ham dinner looks so good. I too want lots of songs at my funeral. My children know which ones. I hope my son will be able to sing "Zion's Hill" ... xoxo

    ReplyDelete