title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Fun Times

I am not kidding you...I had a near panic attack late Friday night.  I got so fraught with fear about driving home from our class reunion, in the dark.  Well, a well time Ativan took care of the shakes and I slept well.

Still a bit nerved up Saturday, I packed a plastic bag with my emergency flashlight, a bottle of water and a bottle of frozen Diet Pepsi and a candy bar.  Just in case I ended up in the ditch.

I rode up to Byron and then caught a ride from there on with a friend and her husband.  It was no nice not to have to drive.  I could look around at how the area has changed.

The combined class reunion was fun!  Some of the kids from the year ahead of us--it was their 60th reunion, I hadn't seen since they graduated!!!  I recognized very few.    Some recognized me, which was nice.  

The food was not worth the price of the ticket, or so I thought.  Pork and chicken slices with some veggies.  A small salad, dinner rolls that weren't really dinner rolls, but some other strange grain.  Ice tea, Lemonade, coffee to drink.  No alcohol, which didn't bother me, buy I think some would have enjoyed a glass of wine or a beer.  I did bribe one of the wait staff to find me a Diet Pepsi.  :-)

Ever since high school, my class has joked about how the class ahead of us seemed so much older.  They still do!  They look older too.  Their class was quiet and sober, serious and dull.  Our class was more noisier, and fun loving.   They dragged along, we were spunky.   Even Saturday night, one of my Dear Friends said, "Why are they so much older than we are?"

We invited our one teacher that is left.  Mr. Braden taught us Biology and also taught Agriculture.  He is 95 and doesn't look much older than we do.  Here he is, sitting down, talking to one of his ex students.



The Class of 1956.  Tell me--don't they look old?


My class.  All the women are the ones that get together for our monthly lunch. 
 At least we had two guys. 





30th reunion



50th reunion 



59th reunion  
Our old gang.  
Minus 3 best friends who have passed.
Hey--we've still got it.  LOL




Now--something shocking at least to me.  

The guy in the blue shirt, with the large stomach and fat face?  That is my ex.  None of my friends recognized him.  

I don't think many in his class recognized him.  It makes me so sad!  He was the star baseball pitcher, and football player.  Even when we divorced, he still had an athletic body.  I think his marriage to the new wife did it too him.  She took all of his spunk out of him and "whipped" him and now, he is just fat and old.  Sad.


Not too many years ago------------------------
               =====================================================
By the time we got back to my friend's house, it was pitch black.  For some reason, I wasn't afraid of driving the 20 miles home.  Thankfully, last spring I had my car head lights, polished up and resurfaced, and that really helped.  It was foggy in some of the low places, but as long as I could see the white line on the side of the road I was fine.  The only problem, oncoming car headlights.  But, I made it and it only took 5 minutes longer than usual.  

I live to fight another day!!!!!!!!!!!



19 comments:

  1. I do not like driving at night anymore, especially away from the city lights. I'm really surprised that you all still have your reunions at night unless your combined reunions include those only 10 or 15 years out.

    I'm glad you had a fun time at the reunion and got home safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most have husbands that drive, so they don't worry about driving alone on the back country roads!

      Delete
  2. "I live to fight another day!" (big chuckle here) I have near panic attacks when any thing comes up! The farmer always wants to drive me to town and now it's been so long since I've driven myself I do panic thinking about it. lol But ~ good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to have panic attacks quite often--heart pounding, sweating. I rarely have them now. It was my old etched/scratched up head lights that caused the problems before. Now that I have tried them out after dark and it wasn't too bad, I won't be scared--but...don't plan on driving after dark unless it is a real necessity. :-)

      Delete
  3. I get so happy when you add photos! What a time warp! The first class reunion I attended was our 25th .... pizza and beer in the school cafeteria! And I've gone (and was on committee) for 30, 35, 40 and 45. I haven't really reconnected with any classmates except that first one. And now we email every week (almost) and have vacationed together a few times. Now that I'm so far away ... not sure what the future holds. Thanks for sharing your fears and your fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beer? In the school cafeteria? You must have graduated from a very progressive school. LOL

      Delete
  4. I love driving at night but maybe that will change when I get older. I can see how it can be intimidating if your not used to it or can't see as well as you used to. Glad you had a good time, though. I have no interest in attending a class reunion but then again I had a pretty crappy high school and all the people I liked I still keep in touch with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear this same thing from people that went to big high schools. Our class size was 32. From K-12. We were like brothers and sisters. A few I didn't like, I never paid much attention to in school and they never come to the reunions. HAH.

      Delete
  5. Yep, your group are the spunky ones, and your ex looks worn out. You didn't have anything to do with that?! Did the gals that really bonded stay close to where they grew up, or do they have to fly in?

    I went to my 15th and 30th, and felt every bit as awkward as I did in highschool. Guess I reverted! Now we're coming up on the 45th. No way am I going!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SHOULD go because you are not the person who were back then. Go and surprise them--they will be expecting "good old quiet Flow" and you can show them, "confident Flo."

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to attend, Judy! I've gone to most, if not, all of the reunions, but ours are weekend long. After the 50th, I doubt I'd go anymore. The combined classes meet every month for lunch, and have a Christmas party. Haven't been to the Christmas shebang as I don't drive well at night either. Headlights from other cars look like a million instead of two. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the opposite problem Most big schools have weekend reunions, sometimes coordinating with Homecoming weekend. We can't get anyone out of State to drive the long distance for a 3 hour reunion--and I don't blame them a bit. But my classmates and those in the higher grade, are still a bunch of stick-in-the-mud small town or farm kids and don't want to do the weekend thing. AND they don't want to have the reunion on Homecoming weekend because some of them head for Florida the end of September!!!

      Delete
  7. You look fabulous, dawling! You've held up well. You guys do look young. Glad you got a ride. I don't drive at night anymore. Vision isn't good enough. I'm better off and so are all those innocent drivers out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no choice. Either miss the reunion or drive home after dark. Oncoming car headlights make it difficult. I just keep my eyes on the white line on the right side of the road and hope that oncoming car stays in his lane. LOL

      Delete
  8. I smiled as I read this...
    glad you arrived home safely'
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehehe, you all look awesome!! I'm glad it was fun and that you enjoyed yourself!!

    I can't drive but I think driving and seeing at night is difficult!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and of course, the longer we go without driving, the harder it gets--especially after dark!

      Delete
  10. Good for you, facing your fears. It's nice that you still see your friends. I have a fear of reunion-type things that no medication or beverage would help. I hate looking back. xoxo

    ReplyDelete