title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Complete. Or So I Thought.

It arrived and my living room now is complete.  It is "high" too, so much easier to get up.  However, when my 5'2" sister tries it out, her little stubby legs won't hit the floor.  LOL

 The carpet looks a lot bluer now.



Looking around and I realized how much I hate my curtains.  I have winter drapes the same color, and summer sheers the same color and had a table cover the same color.  It all looked great with my old couch and chair--the fabric having dots of light blue and cranberry in it, but now?

One thing leads to another, doesn't it?  I want new curtains!!

What color, though?  Patterned?  Nope, I like things plain and simple,  Crisp, airy feeling.

I have large windows--well not like the 7' ones I had in my house, but larger than most homes of this kind.  I want all the light I can get in this room.  

I like a sheer panel on each side--wide enough so I can pin them together at the top and have them drape and held back by the "tie-back", metal thingie I have on the wall.  Then I like a Valance over that to tidy up the top of the curtain.  Rod Pocket.  I don't like Tab tops.  I don't like fancy rods that you hook the curtain too.  Not in this house, anyway.



My kitchen curtains are white and I think they look nice, up against the white walls.  But they are too kitchency looking for the living room--although they are crisp.  I don't want ruffles in my living room.


But see how I have pinned them together at the top and then  draped them a bit?  I want that same look in the living room, 



Maybe?  

These are at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I just might run into town, get one pair and see how they look in real life.I would need to find a plain valance of the same sheer to go over the top

A little bit of pattern?
Hm-mm.

What do you think?


23 comments:

  1. Yes, even before I scrolled down to read you wanted new drapes, I was thinking those cranberry curtains are too dark and out of place now. I know you like valances and the pin back look but they are really out of fashion now. I love the photo from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Those look perfect for your room, would really set off your new furniture. Your windows would look much bigger and lighter with them and no valance. Worth trying to live with for a few days to see if the new style will grow on you. What fun to get new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of no valance, but what do I know? I'm no decorator. LOL

      Delete
    2. Me either Sally. My sister is the decorator, but we have such different tastes and styles that we can't ever help each other out.

      Delete
  2. Everything looking nice! I do like those curtains as they take away from so much darkness in the room. I hope they work for you. Is the sofa Lazy Boy also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jean about valance and tiebacks are soooooo out of date. Crisp clean straight lines like your pic shows of the Bed, Bath and Beyond are in style, especially since you have very busy walls. I'm going through a less is more phase.

    But YOU are the one who lives there, so if you want foo foo, go for it! Make it fun and comfortable for you. Some people might not like my "look" as I don't have any dust collectors and since my place is so small, not much on the walls either. It feels more spacious and airy to me!!!

    We better hustle you more genealogy work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only like the valance because it covers up the blinds and bad window trim--light oak wood-looking plastic. UGH. And I have just cheap, plain white rods and they would show. There IS a method to my madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hang the curtains high enough to cover the trim as in the BB&B photo above. White rods will be fine and can always be changed later!

      Delete
  5. I do like those B,B & B curtains and think you could spray paint the white rod to take away the starkness. I love the new look. Couch looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. Because my rod is so high up on the wall and the blinds would show--I am still going with a valance, whether it is "so yesterday" or not. LOL

      Delete
  6. lol... I was hoping someone would talk you out of that dang valance .. but I can see you won't budge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm putting my vote in for no valance and hanging straight. Um.. I don't think you asked for our votes. So that means you can do the heck what you want. Those curtains are perfect for your room, and the pattern would show up nicely if they hang straight. I had my curtains pulled back with tie-backs, but when I moved to my last house, the style had changed. I cleaned them and let them hang straight. The rug does look bluer to me now, and it's so complimentary to the sofa. All of it together is quite a transformation. Beautiful, Judy! Can't wait to see the curtains and if you pay any attention to our interference. Ha! That's what a blog is for... right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I do see that you did kind of ask for advice. Well, you asked what we thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I asked for advice. If you all look at the photo above of the window, you will see that the rod is very near the top of the wall. So no valance would allow for all that wall space, plus the top of the window and the blinds to show. What say all of you now, Smarty Pants?

    ReplyDelete
  10. NO I AM NOT GOING TO RE MOUNT THE RODS!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say remount the rods... just kidding, just kidding!! It all looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the rooms look so nice and i would definitely go with the bb&b curtains, i think they would look beautiful in the room!!

    i personally would hang more than one set if needed, before i would put a valance with those. could you put a valance on the same rod, in-between the curtains???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Judy, this is awesome! I am tickled pink! I'm a valance person myself. What I did was go to Home Goods and purchase a table runner that I tacked straight onto the rod. Bought matching ones for the wider windows. They're easy to swap out if I want a new look.

    Gosh. You have your livingroom back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my Big House, I had wooden, heavy Cornice Boards that went over the top of the drapes--like a valance only wood. I loved the finished, elegant look it gave to my two 7' wide windows. Maybe that's why I still like the finished look that valances give to my windows?

      Delete
  14. I'm catching up and I know you got the curtains and they look great. Good job! The couch is beautiful too and looks so comfortable. One thing certainly does lead to another but it's all good. xoxo

    ReplyDelete