title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, March 8, 2015

DST

I would just like to clear up some myths about Daylight Savings Time.

I hate it!  I will be discombobulated for--10 days if I'm lucky, but probably two weeks.

I wake up when the sun reaches a certain angle and comes into my bedroom window--my bedroom is on the east side of the house.

Now when DST begins, the sun comes into my bedroom window, but an hour later.  If I set my alarm to get up at eight, clock-time, the sun is not at the same angle as it was yesterday, and I don't feel ready to get out of bed.  I think I have told you that I am very life/mood oriented to outside conditions.

Now--as for the MYTH that DST was brought about by farmers--THIS IS A DOWN-RIGHT LIE.  It was strongly advocated by the UAW and factory workers.  Especially daytime workers who wanted more light AFTER they got out of work.  Might I add that golf courses LOVE DST!

I can remember when the state of Michigan voted on whether to enact DST or not.  It was resoundingly voted down.  However, six months later, it was enacted by our legislature.  Most of us were quite angry about that.

Farmer's--especially dairy farmers, of which there were a lot in our State back then, hated DST.  Cows need to be milked every 12 hours.  If they aren't milked on this schedule, their "bags" can get too full of milk and it can lead to mastitis--a disease of the teats.

My father, and all other dairy farmers, had to start a couple weeks before the time change, and start milking their herd 15 minutes earlier each day, to get the cows used to the time change and once again get on a 12 hour schedule.  Trust me, you do not want to milk cows 11 hours apart, or 13 hours apart.

To be perfectly blunt--this was one huge pain in the ASS!

As for having an extra hour of daylight in the evening so the farmer could work longer in their fields, nonsense!  Farmers have been known to work until 11:00 at night in the field, that's why tractor's and combines have headlights!

So--quit blaming the farmer for this idiotic law.  Either keep the time at DST year round, or Standard Time year round.

By the way, did you know that the first Monday after the time change, especially the spring time change, there is a higher percentage of heart attacks, car accidents and murder than any other day in the year?

9 comments:

  1. Actually, Daylight Savings Time has its roots all the way back to WW! and again during WWII and then again during the Oil Embargo and was used as a means to have fuel. Needless to say The UAW doesn't go back to WWII. The standardization of DLS time is something else because it used to vary from state to state and that's when the recreation industry and various unions (not just the UAW) got behind the effort to standardize it Truckers were especially invested in standardizing DLS across the nation because it was very confusing doing business/keeping schedules across time zones.

    That being said, I'm in the camp that loves, LOVES, loves daylight savings time. (Does anyone sit on the fence about this issue? I doubt it.) I don't have trouble resetting my body clock but can see how some people could. I'm naturally not a morning person and I love staying up late and it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That second line should read "as a means of saving fuel" not " "means to have fuel,"

      Delete
    2. in WWII, it was called "War Time" and the UAW, at least here in Michigan was being organized in 1937--thus the "sit out" strike at Chevrolet in Flint. At least you aren't putting it on the farmer's, thanks for that.

      Delete
  2. I just heard that about the Monday following DST a few days ago on the radio! Never knew that! DST usually doesn't effect me much after the first day. Probably because I have to keep to my work schedule no matter if it's light or dark out! I do have to say I love having it light for longer after work, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, something happened to my "body clock" today; I took a nap which I'm NEVER able to do. So, I guess I'm prepared now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DST is more than half the year, so it seems like IT should be renamed Standard time. Then winter time be renamed DLossT. I never thought much about why it all started. Thanks for the education : -)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like it either. As a morning person I feel like *IT* stole the light from me again. It was just starting to be lighter earlier and earlier and BOOM now it is not :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like it either. As a morning person I feel like *IT* stole the light from me again. It was just starting to be lighter earlier and earlier and BOOM now it is not :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have to wait another three weeks before British Summer Time starts. The clocks go back an hour and we have to endure dark mornings again for a while. Grrr. Jx

    ReplyDelete