title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Countdown Begins!

Are you all excited?

Me either--well, kind of, but it will all be over and then what?

A month of having my tree and decorations and shiny lights up and then--

Around December 26th, I get a real strong urge to get Christmas packed away so I can start the new year with a clean house.  My Mother left the tree up until Epiphany--January 6th--we loved it.  Of course we had a real tree and put it up on December 14th, so by January 6th, it was beginning to cover the floor with its needles.

I used to leave mine up too until Divorce changed my whole family celebration.  That first Christmas, I saw the kids on  Christmas Eve up at The Farm, but the next day, they were all going to spend it with their Dad.  Pam came and picked up Jennifer and off they went.  I sat home alone all Christmas Day and so, hurt and angry, I took down the tree and all the decorations.  When Jen got home at 8:00 that night----she walked in the door and said, "What happened to Christmas?"  and I replied, "It's over and done with."

Maybe that's why I still do it?  For a month I feel the anticipation and I have expectations, which of course, never come true and by the time Christmas Day rolls around, I want it out of my house.  I get very depressed after Christmas Day and I feel the need to start a new year, a new beginning, clean and uncluttered.
=======================
Saturday, I did laundry and vacuumed and dusted.  Everything looked and smelled nice and clean.  Jackie came over with a tin box filled with fudge and cookies that she makes.  I gave her a quart of spaghetti sauce and a nylon scrubbie.  Dar came over with some leftover stuff from her work Christmas party--a Christmas cookie, which I ate, and a slice of gingerbread roll filled with cream cheese, which I threw away.  I walked up to Merle and Pearl's and gave them their gifts and we had a nice hour long chat.
=====================
Sunday morning, when I got out of bed and walked into the living room, this is what greeted me.


I know who the culprit is.  The little girl kitty.  She loves to sleep under the tree and I think when she gets up to crawl out, her claws catch in the threads on the fabric of the tree skirt and she drags it along.  I am giving her the benefit of the doubt.  How the ornaments get pulled off and the crystal beaded rope, is probably from her brushing into them.  Don't you think?

The rest of Sunday, I did nothing!  

Jackie had asked me if one of her kids could park in my driveway as they were having their family Christmas.  I told her "sure".  I watched as 8 cars pulled into her drive to let people out and then parked somewhere else.  She had at least 23 people of assorted sizes walk into her house--which is about the same size as mine, but with a lot more "stuff".  I don't know she accommodated that many people in that small house, but they stayed quite a few hours, so I guess they were all having a good time.

I sat and watched TCM (Turner Classic Movies) all afternoon and cross stitched and gave each cat an hour long rock-a-bye, separately so they didn't have to share my lap, read a little bit and thought.

Tomorrow, starts the countdown!!  My food assistance came in today, so tomorrow I need to get up to Wal-Mart and buy what I need for my dish-to-pass for Wednesday up at The Farm.  I also have to remember to get my big ice cooler out of the shed to transport all 28 quarts of spaghetti sauce for my boy's gift.  

Doesn't look like we will have much, if any, snow for Christmas.  This year, it doesn't matter to me.  It seems like many people are sad this year--or "off" just a bit.  I think it is because of our world and our own society's situation.  These are sad and scary times we live in.

"God Bless us, everyone."

9 comments:

  1. The kitties have a lot of "accidents" according to their mom. ;) I'm not so sure about that.

    I turned my little tree on for the first time tonight. It looks so cute I wish I'd plugged it in sooner. I can't believe Christmas is so close! I don't know where the time went.

    On this side of the state, we're expecting a lot of snow for Christmas day and eve. So if I get to do anything at all with my family it will be a miracle. I hope they're just hyping it.

    Divorced families have reason to be sad around the holidays. It must be very hard on kids and parents alike, as you have posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Christmas will be better than you think, Judy. I probably won't be with mine except for a few hours (and still don't what when), but that's ok too. Hunter and I put up a little tree, and some lights around; no one but her, my bro & sis in law saw them. LOL
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of flushing out reminders of disappointment after Christmas. We're all kids at Christmas, and sometimes the overlooked kid says "What about me?". Does any one feel truly filled at Christmas?

    28 quarts of spaghetti sauce - that's 56 pounds more or less! What an incredibly generous gift, but how are you going to lift it? Do be careful for your back's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Grinch visited you and messed up your tree knowing one of the cats would get blamed for it :)

    I have always loved Christmas and so it's hard for me now that my kids are grown and I have no grandchildren to share the magic of the holiday with. Life really changes and with it traditions.

    I hope your Christmas Day will be very Merry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy I do not know if I told you or not that when I found your blog while with my husband at the hospital with his heart attack that he did survive. This weekend he had a stroke and once again I was at the hospital reading your blog. You mean a lot to me as I feel even though we have not meet you are a friend and felt like you were there with me. I don't think I will be able to send another message for a few days so I want to tell you Merry Christmas. Vickie Okc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vickie, my heart is so heavy with this news. This is an awful time of year to be in hospital--either as the patient or the one sitting beside the bed. Sometimes, I think the "sitting beside the bed" is the hardest part. First, it is so scary and then it gets so tiring and then when you come home at night, the house is so dark and quiet. Do you have children or nearby family to help you or at least visit at the hospital? Yes--I know exactly what you are going through and how it all feels. I will pray that God holds your husband in the palm of His hand and keeps His other arm around your shoulder for strength. I used to picture Fred, laying in God's hand as God gently rocked him back and forth---especially all the time Fred was in ICU and asleep under sedation. Thank you for letting me know I hope he will have recovery so he can come home before the new year. Blessings on you and your husband and the doctor's and nurses. Love's you--

      Delete
  6. Glad I'm not the only one feeling off this Christmas. I only put up 1/4 of the decorations I usually do. My big tree has lights, garland and about 4 ornaments on it. My small tree in the front window has lights, garland and one ornament and the only reason it has one is because I just bought it! Have a wonderful Christmas Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas isn't an easy time to be alone, is it? All the things that are not right during the rest of the year seem to hurt more during the holidays. I hope you enjoy your time at the farm. I get those decoration down and put away as soon as possible. The kids will be here a couple of days after Christmas, so I don't do it immediately. Like you, I like for everything to be cleaned up before the New Year. My mother used to leave it up until after the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christmas was such a joyous time for me when I was a child. Then I married into a family whose church made no mention of Christmas, although they had a big celebration in their home. I missed the church activities of Christmas so much, and still do. We always tried to make it a special time for our girls. Now I guess I've almost given up with the anticipation; no little ones to make it exciting anymore. Only today have I finally put out a few things, but no tree. Anyway, your post hit home with me, and I'm wishing you a happy day on the farm.

    ReplyDelete