title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Orbiting the Edges

It's sort of strange, not to be the "hub" of my family anymore.  So many years I was and now--just on the fringe.

My Daddy was the center of the family for a very long time.  The man never visited anyone.  If you wanted to see him, you drove out to his house for a visit.  Better not ever miss a Christmas Eve at his house (of course it HAD to be at his house) or he would not be too subtle about how you ruined Christmas Eve because your "absence was certainly noticed."

My parents were raised with quite a bit of guilt and so was I.  I would never disobey my Daddy--even when I was 70 years old!  I made sure, even when I lived 50+ miles away, that I got down to visit him every month.  The couple of days he was in hospital and then the four days he was in Hospice, we traveled up to sit all day in his room--80 mile round trip.  Even though the last three days, he was not aware of anything, we were still there because...well, because we were supposed to be there.

At his visitation and funeral, we were there all day, dressed in our best dresses, the men with shirt and tie, because...well that is just the way it is done.  It would have been a disgrace to him and all our ancestor's if we had not.

Now here I am.  The eldest one in the family.  The Grand Dame (yeah, right) the Matriarch (sure).  Not a single one of my children come to visit monthly--rarely call.  They have not made a trip (12 miles) to come see Mom's Christmas tree or decorations.  Pam came yesterday only because I told her that  while she was in this area, checking on Jen's house and feeding the pets, would she please stop over so I could give her the food.

How come my kids don't feel one teeny, tiny bit of guilt?  Because I raised them not to be.  Because I raised them to be independent and....apparently I did too good a job!!

So on Christmas Eve, there I will sit.  Will there be grandchildren gathered on the floor around my knee to hear my sage advice?  HAH!  The event will last four hours, if we are lucky, than some will run off to Mass and I will have to leave because I can't drive after dark.

I am no longer the hub--I usually feel more like a "nub" just sticking out a bit on the fringe of all the family activities.  Sort of quietly orbiting out there on the edges.
==========================
I posted this on Face Book this morning for, "Throw Back Thursday."


"Early December 1969, Daddy asked Mother what she wanted for Christmas.  She sang, “A partridge in a pear tree.”  A week later, as Daddy was harvesting the last of the corn, he found a dead, frozen partridge laying in a corn row.  He put it in a box and stored it out in the shed to keep it frozen.  He came down to my house, cut a branch off the pear tree and wired the partridge onto it.  On Christmas Eve, Daddy presented the nicely wrapped box to Mother.  When she opened it, she hooted and laughed and said, “Next year I’m asking for ‘five golden rings’ ”.  That’s the way our parents were.  Always kidding and fooling around.  Gag gifts every year.  Much laughter in our home, all the time."



My Daddy was bald at a very young age.  The result of a dandruff treatment he had used--killed all the hair follicles on the top of his head.  He hated being bald!  The year before this pix of Mother, she cut my hair for me in early December.  

"Gosh your hair grows fast. Look at all that hair on the floor!" she said.  Then, "Hm-mm, I have an idea."

She took an old nylon stocking.  Cut off the thigh part and sewed a seam across the top opening.  Then she took my cut-off hair and glued it onto the "skull cap" stocking.  On Christmas Eve, Daddy opened his present and there was his wig.  So funny--there he sat with a band of black hair around the back of his lower head and a blonde wig, covering his bald spot.

My parents were so goofy.  They were always joking and laughing.  They were so sappy in love--like they were in their own little kissy, huggie world and I was just sort of orbiting around the edge.

She looks so healthy in this photo, but she was dead within three months, at age 53.  The day she died, the laughter went out of our family.
======================
Today I went to our Class Mates monthly luncheon--or as I like to think of it, the meeting of the Old Broads.  I drove up to Byron and parked my car in the church parking lot and met Bethie and she drove on up to Owosso--at least a 40 mile trip for both of us--and it sure was nice to ride along together and chat.

We ate at a new restaurant.  An Italian place, but they didn't have Antipasto salad.  A couple of the girls got pizza and it looked real good.  Everyone liked the food--mine was terrible.  I got Nachos and there may have been 1/4 cup of beef on them and perhaps as much melted cheese and tasteless.  I thought the lunch prices were pricey, but a friend picked up my tab, so............

Then we always try and figure out where we are going to meet next month and no one can decide, or rather, we all try and let someone make the decision for us.  Today, I mentioned going back to a place sort of the middle of where we all live and where I know, I can get a really great plate of Nachos or a huge tasty Antipasto salad and when I said that--one of the girls said, "Oh No!  They changed their menu and I hate it there."

Okay--except, this woman is NOT even one of our classmates!  She is our friend's sister and is 7 years younger than us and personally?  I don't see how she even gets a say in where we eat!!!  So there.

Well anyway, "they" are going to figure out where to go and let the rest of us know.  Maybe I'll go, or maybe I won't.  Like Beth said, "Maybe we will just figure, I'm bored with you women and we won't go until spring."

I feel the same way.  I would much rather get together every 3 months--even every other month would be okay.  That's why I don't go every month.  Nothing new because none of us have very exciting lives and if perchance, you had something interesting to say, the one who talks too much wouldn't shut up or would change the subject in the middle of your interesting news!

The more I go to these lunches, the more I realize why most of them weren't in the group of friends (6) that I ran around with in high school. 

Anyway, today was nice.  Some of the friends are getting bald.  Some are getting mentally weird.  Some are a tad deaf and some talk way too loud and too much.  Some are just as steady and quiet as they have always been.  All of us are old--those tell-tale signs of droopy eyelids and that deepening crease from nose around mouth to chin.

Most of us hate getting old, but we all seem to be pretty healthy so, we may be getting together until we are in our 90's.  Of course, you never know.  One day you are here and the next day...you aren't.


  The one in the back row, far right is the younger sister.  She isn't even 70 yet--looks as old as us, doesn't she?  

By the Way--I am NOT standing on a stool.  

9 comments:

  1. Judy - it sounds like you were by your dad as I was by my mother. I was "expected" to visit every Sunday which most of the time was fine. My parents weren't like yours in that 'being in love' and kissy, kissy. I'm so sorry your mom passed away young.

    As far as everything else about your dad, my mom had her way about Christmas Eve, Christmas day, Easter and actually most Sundays we were all expected to be at her house. Dad passed in '94 and Mom in 2000. I always said to myself that I didn't want to feel "guilty" when Mom passed, and I didn't. Because I'm the only girl, and unmarried by the time Dad was gone, it was "suggested" that I move in with her. She had never, ever been alone. So for six years it was the two of us. And, actually after she died, I really didn't know what to do with "myself". I had been accustomed to being having been told what or what not to do. I know she had her reasons, but it just wasn't natural; or should I say the normal way to live.

    And, now like you, I'm the matriarch or the bystander when they have (my family) a need to talk. I try not to tell them exactly how I might be feeling if I'm not doing well as they have enough on their plates without hearing about mine. of course, as you know I have emotion difficulties and I've put Patti through the mill until the past several years when I had some treatments that have helped tremendously.

    Our Christmas will be much like yours; a few hours at the most and that's really okay with me as long as I get to see them, especially the kids opening gifts.

    Well, now I've written you a book! I didn't mean to but your thoughts prompted memories for me.

    You actually, in my opinion, look younger than your friends. You just have a way of standing tall with that beautiful smile.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, nothing the same in my world either.
    I am an hour away - never seemed far until now
    when I have not driven into big city for 6 months.
    My mother, grandmother - all were in touch daily
    and always special times.
    Everyone so busy
    wonderful children
    will see Christmas Eve for lunch
    one in Florida, had an invitation
    but cannot make the trip.
    So nothing is the same in my world either.
    Appriciate calls and computer messages,
    wish there were more
    but nothing the same
    and sometimes I am fine with all of this
    and other times it bothers me greatly.
    Better accept as nothing is going to change
    and we have great children and grandchildren.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that partridge story is HILARIOUS! Your parents must have been so much fun :) I see where you get your sense of humor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom was a professional "guilt-tripper". We joke about it now but sometimes she put a lot of unnecessary pressure on me! I have sometimes caught myself almost trying to guilt trip my kids but managed to stop! I hope you enjoy what time you do have with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad didn't know the word 'guilt' but my mom didn't even have to say it and I knew when I wasn't living up to her expectations. Her expectations were reasonable, it was me that took the core family for granted too often. I've give anything to have some of those occasions I missed back again. As I was reading this blog entry it occurred to me that it would be SO nice if you didn't have to guilt kids into visiting, if they just wanted to do it out of love and respect. I think they think you'll always be there and they'll have time for their parents when their own lives slow down, which of course, doesn't happen. The guilt will come too late.

    That's a funny story about the bird in a tree. I didn't even know we have partridges in Michigan. It's a great holiday memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That partridge is priceless!! I wish you lived closer! Maybe I could move to Michigan! I think w'e'd have a grand time - occasionally - being introverted as we both are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Judy,
    Your blog is amazing. It makes me laugh, think and sometimes tear up. It also helps my sister-in-law so much. I read her the part about your kids. It helps her to feel that there are many more widows out there that are in her shoes as well. Have a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, you're Dad was great at laying down the law. Such a shame he lost his nutty sense of humor. You certainly have it!

    Is part of you relieved you're not the hub of your family's wheel anymore? I hear you miss them. I admire the way you don't guilt your kids into rescuing you, like maybe you dad did. Some of your kids may have an ax to grind with you, but could they also be thinking "Oh. Mom. She can take care of herself." and admire you? I myself am generally clueless my company is wanted, and people have to broadcast it LOUD and clear. Forget about inviting myself over, but some people think nothing of it. Dar Dar Dar

    Thank goodness you didn't have to pay for those lousy nachos. That would've added insult to injury.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, ha, ha! You are not standing on a stool? So funny. You look better and younger than any of them. I'm not just saying that to be nice. You look great.

    I hate that your kids don't give you more of their time, and there's nothing to be done about it. I remember telling my son soon after he was graduated from college that we could no longer tell him how to treat us, that it was up to him. Parents have no control after a certain age. It's a damned shame. Sometimes I think they need a good spankin', but we'd probably get arrested. :)

    ReplyDelete