title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Decoratiosn--BEGONE!

A poem to be continued for the next 12 days:

It’s the first day of Christmas,
And what do I see?
A dang Partridge sitting up high,
In my leafless Maple tree.

===========================================

You all know how excited I was that Jennifer and the kids were coming to our family Christmas Eve.  I think I also mentioned that I was going in with no expectations.  I would greet her and the kids the same way I greet any of my other children/grandchildren.  But I gotta tell you, all the way up to The Farm, in the grey, rainy weather, I had a big smile on my face.




My brother-in-law hauled all my stuff in and my sister greeted me with, "Jen and the kids aren't coming.  Evan got Norovirus from his grandma on the cruise and now Elise has it."  My heart hit the slate floor and then she said, "Oh, and Pammie has been with them all week and she is afraid she might be carrying it, so...she isn't coming either."  I wanted to just fall on the slate entryway floor and scream and cry and throw one of those kinds of tantrums I used to throw when I was three!

Pam did come up with her gifts for us, but she had on a mask and dropped the gifts off and left.



Then Karen and Mark arrived with their kids and brought the gifts Jennifer had for us and her planned dish of Deviled Eggs.  (I did not eat any of the eggs from the Norovirus infested home!)

I really tried to be cheerful and I think I fooled everyone that was there.    We all sang carols, while Susan played the piano--like we always used to when our Mother was alive and then Chuck showed us a video he had made of Christmas 1999--when Karen's kids were young.  

My son Mark and his partner, Cindy


Karen & Mark  



Karen's Kids and my Plus One (grandson in-law)



My nephew Adam and his wife and Kate.
At 3:30, Karen & Mark and the kids had to leave to make it 4:30 Mass, it was getting dark and I wanted to start home too.  I was also so worn out and tired I felt like I was getting sick.

I was still so upset so, I stopped at Pammie's on the way home because I wanted to see her open one particular gift from me--the photo collage I had done of her farm--from 1922 on.   We got to talking and griping and I felt better when I left at 5:00.

Of course, it was already dark.  I do not see well enough to drive very well after dark and my parting words to Pammie were, "Well, I'll probably crash into a tree and die on the way home, but I don't care!  I'll never see you again, so I want you to know that I love you!"

She laughed as I ran through the downpour to my car.  She had no idea that, at that time, I really thought crashing into a tree and dying would be a perfect end to Christmas Eve 2014.

I was a very difficult drive!  Every car I met--their headlights, glaring off the wet dark pavement, the rain pouring down, blinding me.  I decided to drive the last 10 miles home the back way--knowing it would be better than having to look at oncoming traffic.

I no more than got in the door and the phone rang.  It was Pammie.  "I called fifteen minutes ago and you didn't answer and I got a bit worried that you might have crashed into a tree. "

"It was a bad drive, but I made it.  Took me about twenty minutes longer than normal.  No, I'm not dead--darn it."

"Love you, Momma.  Merry Christmas."

"Bah!  Humbug!"

I couldn't sleep and finally at 1:00 am, I got up and sat in my chair and just cried and cried.  When they move to NJ, I probably will never have another Christmas with Jen and her family!

Then, I cursed myself of being TOO excited and feeling such anticipation of such a wonderful time.  When will I learn that NOTHING turns out the way I'd like anymore!  
=================
I woke up around 10:00 Christmas morning and felt like someone had beat me up.  Karen had invited me to come down to their house for dinner, at 3:30.  Her in-laws were going to be there for their Christmas.

I had promised her kids, the night before, that I would see them on Christmas day, so down I went.  We had a nice turkey, stuffing, potatoes kind of dinner--the Thanksgiving turkey dinner I had missed out on.

They were wanting to have their "tree", so we took some pictures and I was home by 5:00.  Perfect!



  















====================
Woke up this morning, feeling a lot better, but not in the mood anymore for Christmas, so I have spent the day, packing it all away.  

I did get a nice "haul"--gift cards and some $$$ and this nice picture of Jennifer and her family.  She has lost 50# and looks like her gorgeous self again.





At least I know, she was VERY disappointed that she and the kids couldn't come.  That makes me feel a bit better.

14 comments:

  1. Well, at least she was disappointed that they couldn't be there; if that's any consolation. Judy, she really is gorgeous! Whew, and a nice looking family. Your
    grands are adorable also!

    I'm like you; can't drive in the dark - seems like even one headlight looks like ten or
    twenty! And, the rain? Forget it. Glad you made it home safely. So sorry about the sickness going around. I sure hope you don't get it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen's picture was taken down by the lake behind their house. They have a beautiful lot with a large home. Why they'd want to move to New Joisey is beyond me!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you posted! I was expecting much worse...like an outright snob or a fight. Jen giving you that photo seems to say a lot, in my opinion, like she knows how much they all mean to you. Maybe you can put a bug in Pammie's ear that it would be nice to have a little family send off in the form of a pot luck just before they move. It's ain't over until it's over and the fat lady sings.

    Anticipation really is a killer, isn't it, around the holidays. We build up our hopes just as bad as little kids do. You'd think we'd learn as old as we are. I did the same thing last year and suffered because of it. Anyway, I'm glad no one is dead or has a black eye or threw any punches...and most of all I'm glad it was a nasty virus that kept you apart and not a continued gulf in your mother/daughter relationship. Small blessings like that are better than no blessings at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one in our family fights--physically that is. No one in our family has ever had an emotional "gulf" between each other--that is why this is so bothersome to me and all of us. We all hate confrontations and will avoid them at all cost--other than our own ulcers. My son said, "I want Bernie Sanders to run," and I replied, "Now, we don't talk politics at family functions." We just don't ever argue--there may be a very large elephant in the middle of the room, but we all ignore it, LOL.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear from you, Judy. I've been thinking about you all through the holiday. I wish things had turned out differently. At least Jen was disappointed. That means she must have wanted to see you. Do you ever think of calling her? Are you afraid she would rebuff you?

    Love the photos on the stairs. That's a great way to get a big group photo. Your kids and their families are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She still refers to me as Judy--so I am just sitting back and letting her make any advances.

      Delete
  4. Oh, crap. Norovirus spoiled the whole shebang. I could hear your heart drop as I read this. I wish someone could have called and warned you instead of you finding out the way you did. I mean, that way sets you up for maximum devastation. People can be so clueless, so unwitting, because everybody gets caught up in their own world. What do you think? Good that you got a gripe session in with Pammie. Good that Jennifer was disappointed, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was more disappointed that she didn't get to see her one and only cousin. It wasn't about seeing me--but being with her brother and sisters and aunt and uncle. Yeah--what would I do without Pammie?

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry your Christmas was disappointing, Judy! I suspected that Jennifer didn't make it and that was why. At least you weren't the one who was sick and you got to see the rest of your kids. You have a very nice looking family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say that your sister's sled is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really see the glass as more than half empty. What were your son, one daughter and sister - mud? Things happen. People get sick - or even just have others they are with. Get over yourself. Enjoy what yoy have

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry that you had a disappointment. I'm glad though that you got to spend your Christmas surrounded by most of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry that things didn't work out as planned.... but you guys must have some great genes - you all look fabulous! Jx

    ReplyDelete