title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, October 10, 2013

It's Done!

Today's high temperature was:  70 degrees
Perfect
========================================

Answers to comments:

Jean--I checked with the probate court in Genesee County (Flint), where the Will would have to be probated.  It had not been entered as of last month.  The clerk also told me that if everything was in Trust, the Will might not have to be probated.  If it IS--it is open for public viewing.  In the case of my Dad's Will, everyone listed as a beneficiary, got a copy of the Will.  What makes us uneasy is that Susan and I were told by our Dad that two of his investment accounts were in our name, but when he died, all were in Helen's name.  Some, signed with his name, suspiciously did not look like his signature--they had a backward slant.  She is left handed.  Then my grand daughter saw Helen, two days before the funeral, shredding a lot of papers.  We have known this woman all our lives, as they were next door neighbors and we all grew up and took family vacations together.  Even though she caused a lot of trouble between our family members, after she and Dad married, we just can't believe she would lie to us.

================================
Ernestine--my father had a two million dollar estate.  Much of it was land, which thankfully remains in the family, but a million was invested in varying accounts.  He was the only child--so he received all of the land and money from four generations--150 years.  It hurts to think that my family's hard work and heritage is going to someone else-- just about makes me physically sick.
==================================

Jeanette--I have never confronted anyone or anything in my life--that is what has caused me a lot of problems--just not saying anything and waiting for good to come out of it--which is rarely does.  It is his mother-in-law, and I never would say a bad thing about her to them.  If she did lie, my statement to him of, "Then why would she tell us that?" would let him know she lied to us.

There are people who everyone in the community thinks is wonderful and yet they treat their own family like crap.  Look at Bing Crosby--everyone in the world thought he was wonderful.  Then you hear about the way he abused his kids and you just can't put the two personalities together.  Everyone in our community thought my Dad and Step-Mother were the epitome of fairness and goodness--and they were!  To everyone except family!   No one would believe us if we told the truth about them.  And it would destroy a lot of people's remembrances and feelings about them, so we won't say a word--to anyone else.
====================================

Balisha--feets up!!

================================
Grandma K--my sister and I used to say that.  "Wow--there really is something true about those fairy tales and the wicked step mother!"  Just glad we didn't have to live with her!

=====================================

Thanks Sally.  You be careful working too.
=============================================================


I will put the treads on the steps tomorrow.



8 comments:

  1. Your deck and steps turned out beautiful!

    That is really a sad and tragic situation if what you think happened to the estate happened. To be shredding a lot of papers before the funeral sure doesn't sound like something any normal griever would be doing, does it. I don't know how people can live with themselves who take what isn't rightfully theirs to take. Does anyone in your area have free legal services for seniors like they do here? I wonder if there is a way to challenge the signatures. When my dad's trust was drawn up we all had to be there and everyone signed in front of witnesses. I don't see how signatures on a trust could be easily changed because there would always be a copy kept with the lawyers who drew them up. Pressuring someone to change a trust would be easier and more likely and impossible to prove. Very sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job on the deck and steps and it makes a great and beautiful difference.
    So sad to read about the estate issues. My best friend is a paralegal in an estate law office and she sees this kind of thing all the time. Very painful, and I will keep hoping for a positive turn-around in your case. I cannot fathom the mind of someone who would do something like your step-mother has done, and that of her family, as well.

    On a higher note. The Tigers are going to play our Red Sox!! Should be a great series. Bet you can't wait. Now I don't know who to cheer for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy....what a difference. I love it!
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jude - I thought the same thing about my step mother. She would never cheat and lie. Oh yes she did. I really think she was hoping my dad would die before her - hence her allowing him to continue to drive with his severe dementia (and THAT was HER ultimate doom). She would have left me with a pittance. And a lot of the monies that she funneled to her good for nothing son came from my mom! Me bitter - you 'bet your sweet bibby"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that if you can find a lawyer to look into this, you could at least have peace that you advocated, based on your our knowledge of what your Dad told you, for what your Dad intended. You are quite justified looking into this. You are his daughter, and you know that he loved you and said this to you. Hang in there.

    The 'before and after' shots of the deck blow me away. You have created a sanctuary from what was a utilitarian stairway. What a wonder you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your porch looks amazing. Good Job!
    So what do you think of our Tigers? So glad we get to watch more games.It would be great to be in the World Series

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch looks stunning. I love it! My grandma's estate has been waiting for someone to sign something for 6 years, and just now, some uncles are causing lots of problems. Death and money make people do strange things. the worst part is, my grandparents didn't raise their family to act like this. It's sad, and I'm glad that they aren't here to see the actions of some of their sons. Sickening. I hope it turns out better for you - even if it will be a surprise that she wasn't lying.

    ReplyDelete