title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Manic Monday

Today's high temperature was: 43 degrees
Partly sunny.
====================================

Woe is me.  Woe is me.  I am not a happy camper, but trying the best I can.  This is what I have to look at every day for the next four months.


View from the kitchen

View from the bathroom 

I need a new back door.  I cannot afford a new back door.  I rarely use the back door.  Last winter, when it so very cold in January, ice formed on the opening side of the door, clear up to the door handle.  Before that, I could feel the cold air coming in whenever I walked by that door  The rug I have in front of the door, froze to the bottom edge of the door.  I knew something had to be done this winter.

I thought of many fixes--tape duct tape over the edge of the door onto the molding.  Stuff it with newspaper--like we did in the old days to keep out the air leaks.  Put plastic covering over it--OR--to make a better sealant, staple two batts of insulation at the top of the door, along the sides of the molding and put a 2 x 4 across the bottom and staple it to that too.  Then, cover the whole dang thing with a sheet of plastic.. Leave about 4 inches of plastic at the bottom, put the rug back tight up against the 2 x 4 at the bottom and...........live with looking at this ugly area.  I will probably be glad when the lower gas bills come in, but I can't say it is pleasing to my sight!  ARGGH!!
=============================================

I made my quarterly pilgrimage to Costco. You know how I hate that store. Too big, Too crowded and the aisles aren't marked so I don't know what's down them. 

90 minutes later,I have NO food, but I do have enough garbage bags, Zip Lock freezer bags and paper products to last me the rest of my normal life! Then out to the car and all sizes too big to fit in the trunk. It is so obvious--this store is created for people who have a passel of kids and drive a 9 passenger van to haul groceries in. Then you gotta haul all that stuff in, one at a time because they don't give you sacks and, to put the stuff in a box, makes it too heavy to carry in the house! Okay--done with the rant!

Oh yes--and the people standing there saying their memorized spiel as they hawk their samples. Sometimes, they don't even look at you--they just keep talking.

I saw one old guy--he showed up on every aisle I was on--his cart was empty, but he stopped at every sample station and had at least two of what was offered. He looked like he had just discovered a free Smorgasbord!

Oh wait--another rant. I filled up with gas a week ago, because the car was running on fumes and that annoying gas pump light, on the dashboard, was continually glowing. $3.43 which I didn't think was too bad. Today, gas is $3.11. I cannot catch a break!!!

So--I had to stop at the Rich People's store to get some food--deli salads and cake--have to have cake in this house.  Also a bottle of Virgin Olive Oil because all Costco has is gallon jugs of it--like wise olives and Tuna.  I do not want or need 24 cans of Tuna or 2 quarts jars of olives!  

I needed to stop at Michael's, but I was so worn out I just drove on home.

Driving down the highway, going 5 miles over the speed limit and still someone is riding your back bumper. Have you ever just wanted to slam on your brakes just to see what they'd do?  Just to see if their air bags were working properly?  The lane next to us was empty--why she didn't get over there and pass me--who knows.  

I got all the stuff into the house, but, when it all gets put away is another thing.  I wish I had a pantry.  This trying to find cubby holes for everything to fit into just is not happening!  Where do you put a 3' x 2' bag of 12 JUMBO rolls of paper towels?

9 comments:

  1. Judy, I never go to Costco
    do not have a membership
    and like you found everything to big and to much.
    Went with someone in the past who had a membership.
    Maybe in your area
    you do not need to purchase a membership ?
    Have a better day.
    Today is my errand day
    and the fog is so thick I will have to wait until it clears...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy...Why not hang a piece of pretty fabric over your eyesore? Just put up a curtain rod and hem the top of the fabric and slide it on.Maybe you could find a remnant, curtain, drapery, or even a bed sheet. Or put up one of those bamboo blinds....just for the winter.Just an idea.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put plastic over my bedroom window for the first time. It's drafty in the winter so I thought I'd try it. I, too, hate looking at it but sometime being practical has to win over being pleasing on the eye.

    You made me laugh when you asked why someone would ride your bumper instead of passing you. I'm probably guilty of doing that from time to time. I tend to drive way to fast so sometimes I'll get behind someone who is driving the speed limit just so they'll keep me from speeding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Balisha!! I've seen lots of curtains at re-sale shops so you may find some drapes that would work.
    On the large bundles of paper towels and toilet tissue - I am fortunate to have a little hallway off my apt where I am able to store those and also my vacuum cleaner, and assorted other things. Always hard to find the right place. I found other storage by moving my sofa kitty-cornered and I put storage items behind there, as well!
    I, too, dislike the big box stores and have no need to shop there, nor to deal with their illogical aisles and HUGE packaging. On occasion I have saved money by buying giant boxes of tea bags, and also trash bags, but that doesn't justify the cost of the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great that as much of a pain Costco is, the traffic, the bumper rider, and the way your home will look for a few months, that you can get out, walk around Costco, still drive, and still make your own home repairs?
    Tomorrow (or today) is another day Judy, and you will conquer it because you are strong, determined and resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought was about a curtain too. Winter is depressing enough, less depressing if you're looking at some pretty fabric over your door.

    I do Sam's Club and I'm like you, everything is so big for just one person, but I do like getting paper products and laundry detergent there and things like toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a BJ's here like Costco; I used to go at Christmas to buy like "packs" of battery operated tooth brushes - those were the years when Patti and her ex were raising the 4 kids together. But, for food and all; I'm with you, too much.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. We go to Sam's club. It annoys me to pay for a membership...for the privilege of shopping there. We get the paper stuff and cleaning products and wine. I have to admit that I like the samples. I'm such a pig. Once flu season starts, I will not so the samples or salas bars, etc. I've become a real scardy pants since I got sick last winter. A curtain or quilt is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of the fabric, shower curtain, quilt, something - they always have shower curtains, usually new, at Goodwill here. Hopefully that would brighten things up.

    ReplyDelete