title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, August 25, 2013

I Am Becoming The Old Critical Woman I Never Wanted To Become!

Today's high temperature was:  82 degrees
Today's humidity was:  34%
Sunny, breezy.
Even with low humidity, 82 is still too hot for me!
========================================================

Yesterday, I went into Brighton to get my hair cut.  My hair is thick and it grows like "a bad weed", as my hairdresser says.  I almost forgot to go because, I haven't gone shopping nor to get my hair cut on a Saturday for years and years--not since I retired.  Now I know why--so much traffic.  So many people.  Every chair in the salon occupied.  Lots of noise.  So much chattering.  Yeah--I prefer to keep Saturday like an at home day around here.  

As she was cutting my hair, she asked about Karen--who usually goes to her too.  She said, "Karen is what I would call a true Christian.  She isn't judgmental about people.  She never criticizes anyone--she never gossips, she is so accepting of all people.  She goes out of her way to help others--I never would go into downtown Detroit for three days and clean up the vacant lots and houses--you could get shot!!!  And--she never preaches!  She just lives her religion by example."

Wow--what a compliment and absolutely true.  Karen is like that and maybe that is why---everyone she meets loves her instantly?  She is so much like my mother that it is sometimes spooky!!!  I thought about it and then when Karen called, I just had to tell her what Tracy had said about her.  She didn't say, "Oh wasn't that nice of Tracy?"  She didn't say, "Well I try."  She said, "anytime I am compared with Grandma Dorathy, I am humbled."      She had no ego about what was said about her, she only thought how wonderful to be compared to her Grandma.            

                  I adore this child of mine!!!

So then Pammie called me later on.  She has been calling me once a week--I am stunned and so happy.  Some daughters brag about how they call their mother every day, or a couple times a week--mine never did and I never thought anything about, but now that Pammie does--I love it.  She just wanted to see how I was doing and to tell me that "Gene" was moving into his house this weekend and cleaning all his stuff out of her house.  It will take him quite a while to get all his junk vehicles and stuff out of her yard and storage barn, but she is working with him on that.  He will come out every week and bring the lawn mower and Pammie will use it, he will take some more of his junk to his place and when he comes back to pick up the mower, he will take more of his stuff.  Pammie is very kind to him--gracious in the way she acts toward him.  There is no screaming or cursing--they are both being adults and working together.

                I also adore this child of mine!!!

When you see the actions of your adult children, you realize what kind of a job you did as a parent.  At least with these two---I did a very good job.  Pammie is very, very much like me. Sometimes too much like me!! :-)
==============================

When I came out of the salon, I had to walk across the parking lot, as there were no spaces in front of the salon.  There were men working on something on the store next door--I didn't pay any attention.  I was feeling pain free yesterday and with my new hair cut, I suppose I may have been standing tall and doing my long legged stride across the lot.  (What they used to tell me was my run-way stride when I modeled ski pants back in the 60's. no swinging of hips, but a long easy-loping stride with my 34" legs on display.)

I hear a wolf whistle.  When I was younger, 30-40's, I used to smile and say thank you, but....not in these times.  I just pretend it wasn't intended for me.  Then I heard it again, and there was a guy, dirty, sitting on the curb, smoking his cigarette.  I just kept walking--of course I was smiling---I am always smiling, but I didn't look at him directly.  I walked around a bunch of trees and got in my car and sneaked a peek and sure enough, he turned his head and leaned over a bit to see me.

I think I was "eye-humped". (I just learned that word today, from Jean.)  I looked up the meaning and it says, "to look at someone in a lascivious manner." "to look at someone with sexual intent."  There was another cruder definition, but I won't print it here.  I used to get whistled at by nice looking men, or older gentlemen, dressed nicely.  This guy was none of those--even remotely.  I kind of laughed, but I drove out a different way so he couldn't see my license number--not as naive as I use to be.

Of course, we all know what "humping" means--don't we all?  When I read that word on Jean's blog this morning, it reminded me of my husband.  On Wednesday's when he came into the house after work, he'd yell out, "It's hump day."  (I knew what he meant).  The kids would yell "Yay, it's Wednesday,", but I would yell back, "I have a headache!"  Then he'd laugh.
=============================  

I stopped at the store--man was it crowded, come to find out they had discounts on everything--on-line coupons that I didn't know about.  I got my Finish Quantum Dish Washing pellet thingies and two long sleeved tops for winter--dressy enough to wear to church--$12.00 each.  When I got in the car, I remember my husband practically forbidding me to use a dish washer.  One of my Avon customers had one that rolled on wheels, with a cutting board on top.  You rolled it over to the sink and attached it to the faucet.  It was Avocado green and she gave it to me.  I loaded it into my station wagon, brought it home, sprayed it white and it was great.  In those days, 1974, we had powdered dish washing detergent to use.  My husband informed me that it would clog up the drain.  I thought he was nuts.  "How could it clog up the drain anymore then the dish soap I'd use in the sink?"

So. I of course used the dish washer--everyday--I loved it as I have always hated washing dishes!  Well--it was another 10 years before he left and one day that summer, the sink filled up with water from the draining of the dish washer and would not drain out.  I put Drano down the drain.  I got some lye and used that.  I got liquid drain cleaner.  It drained a bit better, but still very slow.  One day, when he came to pick up Jen, I told him about it and he said, "You're going to have to dig up the drain--from the house out to the driveway."

SAY WHAT? 

"I told you so."  (I hate superior sounding men!) 

I thought, well I'll show him.  The drain tiles are probably filled with roots from the bushes and the plants.  I commenced to dig.  OHMYGOSH--what hard work!!!  When I finally got to the field drain tiles--none were broken--none were clogged with roots, but for about 8 feet, they all were pretty much filled with a blue/white mixture of dish washer soap!!!!!   I replaced the tiles with new ones, shoved the dish washer over by the stove and used the top for a cutting board and never used the dang thing again!!!
==============================
I have started noticing something.  It seems every one on this planet wears those things we use to call "shower shoes" or "beach shoes".  Little foot coverings made from recycled tires?  Originated in Japan where they used them for "house shoes" because they did not wear their street shows inside.  Also used in India for the very poor people to keep their feet from picking up hook-worms, and of course in China.

Now I see people wearing them everywhere!  I noticed in the salon, the only person with regular shoes on was my stylist and me.  Two of us out of forty some people?  Not just young kids, but old ladies too.  Then, in the store, I noticed the same thing--everyone walking around--making that sole-slapping flip flop sound. 

Today in church, I noticed them there also--which in my judgmental sort of mind, that people should present themselves in the Lord's house in a respectfully dressed manner, thought, "How inappropriate!" Of course, I suppose if Jesus walked in, He'd be wearing them also!!   No--He's be wearing his sandals, wouldn't he?  

Can you imagine how dirty your feet would get?  and where or where is there any support to the foot?  I fear these younger's will one day rue the day they didn't wear decent shoes.  Back problems.  The foot tends to roll over, so that mis-aligns the knees, the hips.  I said something to Pearl about it today and she said, "My grand daughter wore them for her wedding."  

SAY WHAT!!

"Was it an outside wedding?  On the beach?  Casual wedding?"

"No--it was very formal--in the church.  She thought no one could see them under her dress.  But they were pretty, with rhinestones on them and all."

Oh well--guess that was proper then.  ARGHH!

We have become such a sloppy society!!!  People in flannel pajama bottoms shopping.  Women in sweat pants shopping.  People now going to church weddings in shorts and flip-flops.

Now--I do not get dressed up to go grocery shopping or make a run to SubWay like my mother would have, but at least I wear decent clothes--a t-shirt and jeans or bermuda shorts.  AND dress slacks to church--I don't wear jeans to church.  It took me several hundred years to even feel comfortable wearing slacks to church. 

There are many women I know who don't even own a dress anymore.  We wear pant suits to funerals and weddings.  I may sound very filled with pride, but, I am happy to report that when my girls attend a funeral or a wedding, they wear a dress.  They may go bare legged, without pantyhose (which drives me crazy), but at least they have on a dress.  And my son and sons-in-law wear suits or a really nice shirt and dress pants--even the grand kids are dressed up.  I know the girls wear slacks to church, but none would ever think of wearing jeans!!  I say this only because I noticed the lady in front of me in church today, had on jeans. She is the choir director--and she had on jeans. Yes--they had rhinestone studs on the back pockets, so they were dressy, but......?

The lady that got up to give the Scripture reading, had on a dress and..............flip flops---slap,slap,slap,slap,slap--all the way from her pew to the lecturn.  The minister had on a white shirt and tie AND HIS ROBE.

Probably none of this matters!!!  Just a part of my aging mind becoming critical.  I'm sure God doesn't care what we wear to church.  BUT--even to the funeral of The Wicked Witch of the West, I wore this outfit:




I just see these things and think it is very odd.  Obviously I am a dinosaur, but I just don't get the whole flip flop thing.  My grandma use to tell me, "Wear a good supportive shoe, because when your feet go and start to ache all the time--every part of your body is going to ache."  I think she was right, HOWEVER, I haven't gotten to the point of wearing the kind of shoes she wore!  Every day!!!


==========================================================
I had to stop at the Wal-Mart today to get my prescription filled.  As I walked around, while waiting, I found something for Evan's 2nd birthday.  I hope he doesn't already have a tri-cycle--knowing that family, he may have 3 or 4, but I got this one for him.  It has a siren on it and flashing lights and car noises--I think it is wonderful!!  He is quite tall for his age--at least he was the last time I saw him, so I think he will be able to reach the pedals.  If I don't get invited to his birthday, I will take it over on a day when the older kids are in school and just he and Pammie are there.  I will be breaking my daughter's law of not seeing him, but I won't go inside the forbidden house, so maybe it will be all right.  I AM SO TIRED OF THIS DECREE OF HERS!!!  I MISS MY LITTLE GRANDCHILDREN!!!





9 comments:

  1. Your daughters are a credit to you and how you raised them---what a crowning achievement.

    I about bust a gut laughing at your eye-humping story and yours and your husband's Wednesday joke. If you had been wearing your 'church suit' pictured above when you got whistled at I could see why. That's a classy looking outfit and you obviously take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like most of my dress up clothes--10 years old. I don't really take care of myself, Jean--I lost 30 pounds after Fred died--I have no appetite. I know I don't eat right--I don't exercise--I don't wear make-up. I smoked for 50 years. I am just blessed with good genetics. No cancer in our family--ever for 7 generations now. My ancestors all lived well into their 80's and quite a few ninety year olds. I am now promising myself that I will start a new program of taking better care of MYSELF--after the doc told me he thought I had a death wish and did I ever considering doing something good for ME?

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to read that Pammie is starting to 'get her home back'. I'm sure that your Grandson will love that tricycle - it's really cool! As for 'flip flops'....... I agree with you completely!! They are actually banned as footwear for the staff at my school. We don't have to teach in suits anymore but we are expected to be smart and wear 'proper' shoes. I think it's a good thing. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear flip flops. After 40 years of wearing high heels (as we used to say) I think I'm entitled. LOL

    You do look very nice in the dress, Judy. A lady with class for sure.

    I also laughed at the eye hump, Lord a mercy, never heard that one before. :)

    So confused am I about Pammie. I must be guilty of not paying enough attention. I was thinking she is the daughter who lives close to your sister. Sorry.

    I bet your hair looks nice! Love ya, Judy.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look nice in that pic. I've learned something new . I never heard the term eye-humped.

    The bike looks like oodles of fun. He will love it.

    Hope everything goes smoothly for Pammie.
    Bella Rum

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great in that dress, but I have to admit that I wear sandals or flip flops every day. I wouldn't wear them to a 'function', but no one is here at work and I wanna be comfortable. I too had all those years in suits and heels and I'm good in cargo pants and flip flops now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I confess I wear pants to funerals, even my mom's funeral. And I don't even GO to church which probably makes me worse than the flip flop wearing people! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only wear flip flops to keep from being barefoot - my personal preference. My mom just rolls her eyes at me. I do agree about dressing appropriately for church, but then again I think that if that would keep someone from going to church, I'm glad they come at all. It seems like once people go for a while, they start dressing up a bit more. I could also be old and go to a fairly conservative church, so who knows.
    You are such a classy, cool woman. Carry on, looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This flip flops and pants in church discussion reminds me of one my husband and I always had about the way some people dress for funerals. He hated seeing jeans and shorts at funerals and I'd always come down on the side of it just being important that they came in the first place. Besides, what would we talk about if people always dressed appropriate?

    ReplyDelete