title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, August 2, 2013

Simple Pleasures

Today's high temperature was:  67 degrees
Today's humidity was:  40%
Weird weather today--very breezy, cloudy, then sunny, then cloudy.
========================================

I got up around 8:30 this morning--from the roar of the lawn mower outside my bedroom window.  My lawn mowing guy was here doing his wonderful job on my lawn.  

It was cold in this place--65 degrees, but I resisted turning on the furnace for a moment of take the chill off--opened up the front door and a couple of windows because it was warmer outside--68--but with the strong breeze, it just made it feel colder.  Truly weird weather for August in Michigan.

Did my morning routine and then went in to take a shower.  Not just an ordinary shower, but the ultimate shower.  It was so cold in the bathroom that I turned on the shower full blast to get some warm, moist air in there.  Put scrubbing stuff on my face and rubbed it in, put Veet Shower Hair Remover on my legs, brushed my teeth and hopped in.  Man--it is so nice to have nice really warm water coming out of the shower head!  I scrubbed the stuff off my face with a rough sponge, then washed my hair, and took my poof and lathered nice Dove Body Moisturizer Wash all over and lastly, took the same rough sponge and scrubbed the Veet and leg hair off.  I was nice and pink all over and smoooooth-----------------

Took care of my beard and mustache and then slathered my face and neck with Olay Anti-Aging moisturizer!  I looked in the mirror--tweezed out a few white eyebrow hairs and I looked as young as--oh--68 perhaps?  LOL.

I slathered my arms and legs with Eucerin for Dry Skin lotion, then pulled on socks, my jeans and a long sleeved knit top.  Felt great!!!






==================================

I no more got sat down in front of the computer when my lil' sister called me.  Man--she was giggly and so hyper!  Yesterday, she met her 3 best friends (from school) at the Byron Golf Course for lunch.  Then, they decided to walk around the home town a bit.  Looking at the houses where their other friends used to live--some with grandchildren still living there.  Then they stopped up at the Elementary School to see another friend of theirs (Libby) --a teacher's aid in Kindergarten, who was fixing up the room for the start of school.  Then they went out to Susan's to see the house, as last year they all got together there, just after she moved in.  Then on the spur of the moment, they decided to go to the other friend's (Marsha) summer home--she winter's in Texas.  Her "summer' home is near where I live and only 3,500 sq. ft.  "Much smaller then our Texas home", she said.  

Lana had told Susan, "Marsha has more money then God, but you'd never know it by the way she acts."  She is Lana's cousin.

Susan said it was magnificent--"I took pictures so you can see it!  She and her husband are multi-millionaires, but they worked hard for what they have and they give a lot to their church and charities because they are so grateful."

Susan said, "I left at eleven o'clock yesterday morning and I didn't get home until nine.  I had the most wonderful day since I've moved back here."

She said what was really nice about it, she and Marsha got to talk about step-mother's and Marsha is coming out to Susan's to have a longer afternoon--just the two of them.  Susan said every time she mentioned something about our step-mother, Marsha would say, "Oh...I know!"   So they will have a lot of notes to compare and it will do them both good to talk about it--just to know they aren't the only person with a Wicked Step-Mother!!

Lana and Marsha's mother's were sisters and friends with my mother.  Sue was born when her brother's were 15 and 17, and Susan born when I was 13, so she and Sue had much older siblings.  

Front:  Marsha and Sue
Back:  Lana and Susan
Look at Lana--she looks about 45!!!

These "little" girls were five when I graduated.  They were in our house a lot and liked being upstairs in my bedroom.  They'd sit on the bed and watch--as I got into my "ball gown" as they called it--ready for the Prom.  Or watch as I put on my formal for the Homecoming parade--holding my "plastic crown" as if they were little ladies in waiting.  Then, I remember them so well, standing on the sidelines of the football field, during the parade, and yelling my name.  I, of course, waved and threw them kisses.  They would just stand there and look up at me with such awe and admiration on their sweet faces.

 It's strange--when I went to Susan's last year and happened to be the day they all were there, they came tearing out of the house yelling, "Judy--Judy!" and grabbed me in hugs and told me how beautiful I "still am". Then they told me how impressed they were with me, back in those days.  How I was so "glamorous" and "cool" and how they wanted to be "just like you, when we grew up."  Delightful!!!

Then in 13 years, I watched as my sister was in the Queen's court and Lana was the Queen and my daughter dated Sue and her husband's son and.....all connected.  That's the way it is in a small town/community! Connected all of our lives!!!

They are all 61 now and looking pretty good themselves!!!

(BETHIE--they are--Marsha Gordon, Sue Skinner, Lana Cecil)
===============================

I didn't do a thing outside.  I WILL trim those bushes on the west side of my house tomorrow--I promise.  I also need to change the furnace filter.  Oh--I forgot--when I took my shower--I went into my bedroom afterwards and heard the gas going on under the water heater, but guess what?  Not one popping sound of calcium or lime deposits bouncing around on the burner plate.  I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!

Pearl called me around 3:30 and wanted to know if I wanted to go to supper.  I have a gift card to Outback Steak House and I have been bugging her to take me the next time she and Merle go there.  Filet Mignon and a Baked Potato!!!!!    Their daughter met us there and her daughter and her daughter, LOL.  Pearl and Merle's, daughter, grand daughter, great grand daughter--the ones who raked up the clippings for me.  We had a great time!  The Filet Mignon was, medium rare and so tasty and so easy to chew and my baked potato came with only butter--like I requested--lots of butter and a few slim green beans on the side.  $26.57.  I wanted to get Pearl and Merle's supper too, but they wouldn't let me.  I only ate half my supper because I knew, if I ate it all, I would be sick.  It was more food then I have eaten in 2 days!!! and now, I have half left for tomorrow's lunch.


When we got back, I stopped in to see their new carpet that was installed today.  The girls had painted the ceiling white, which really brightened up their dark paneled living room and the carpet is grey.  Not a color I would like to live with, but one that Pearl just loves, so that's all that matters.  Tiger came out to greet me, which Pearl says is weird because he doesn't like anyone else.  It has taken Tiger and I about a year to get friendly, but now he knows, I am not going to bend down and pick him up (which he hates).  I let him come to me and then I pet him a bit on his head, scratch his ears, and when his tail starts switching--I stop :-)  He bite Pearl the other day because she hauled him up on her lap and he is NOT a lap cat.  Then she waggled her finger in his face and said, "No biting," and he bit her again.  I think he thought she was playing with him with the waggling finger--she does that to Maggie and when Maggie reaches out with her front claws and hooks Pearl, Pearl gets all mad.  I have told her and told her and.............that Maggie thinks she is playing and not to waggle the finger, but she just won't listen to me, so.......sometimes she leaves her with a few pieces of missing skin from her finger.  Hey---I warned you.

Anyway--we had a good time and I am stuffed!!!!!

I am hoping tomorrow I can get the other bushes trimmed. 

P.S.  Had to drink a glass of water and 2 Alka-Seltzer's as I am stuffed and feel barfy.  My digestive system is not used to meat and potatoes!!! 











4 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Outback in ages. I love the filet or the prime rib. They're both so tender. It's only 5:30 in the morning and you've made me want a steak. :)

    Your bathroom ritual sounds wonderful. You had yourself a personal little spay, didn't you? There's nothing like taking care of yourself the way you should to make you feel good all over.

    Your sister and her friends look wonderful - young and healthy.

    I enjoy getting your little weather report. It's interesting to know what the weather is like in other parts of the country. You've had a cool summer. Ours hasn't bee too bad. We've had a few scorchers, but not as many as usual. Lots of rain. I can't believe the rain we've gotten. Our grass is still green and lush. That's unheard of this time of year.


    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do look so good, Judy (and, NO I'm not going to say for your age, I hate when people say that). :)

    Loved hearing about Susan and her friends; they sure love you too! How great that you went out to eat and enjoyed it so much. :)

    Always enjoy reading your posts. Have a wonderful Saturday, my friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed that you still have hair on your legs! I lost all mine with menopause. LOL

    Sounds like you had a great day but you made me hungry for a good steak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have very little hair on my legs. Usually only have to remove a couple times during the summer--never in the winter, LOL. I keep telling my girls--"Just wait until menopause. You won't have to shave your legs anymore--which will give you more time to tend to your mustache and beard!!"

    ReplyDelete