title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Home

It took me hours to find all these photos, but I thought some of my new blog buddies might like to see so they know where I came from.
============================
Paternal Genealogy---------
Great Great Grandparents:

Peter and Anne (Relyea) Walts--German and Dutch--lived near Watertown, NY, Jefferson County, Pamelia Township--homesteaded in Michigan 1855.






 Built this small house first.
My great grandfather, grandfather, and Daddy were born here. 

In 1857, they built the large home 

Also where my Great Grand Parents lived
Charles Edward and Sophia Anne (Ulmer) Walts
They had two sons, Roy and Ray

My grand parents lived here at one time also.  As the elders died, the youngers moved from the small house across the drive into the Big House.


How the house looked in 1976 when my Dad and Step-mother moved in

How it looks now.  Sister Susan and Chuck live here.



162 years Actual

  5th generation, same family
=========================================================

My Grand Parents:

Roy Ulmer and Helene Mary (Case) Walts--she was French and English.



They had one child.  My Daddy
August 9, 1916

 Built in 1920.  They raised registered Shropshire sheep
and had a Hatchery (building on left) and Poultry business
Grandpa Roy died February 14, 1942--49 years old.  
Had a stroke and contracted pneumonia while hunting, in the cold rainy weather, 
 for a Coyote that was killing his sheep.
Grandma continued the hatchery/poultry business until 1966,
when she died.



We renovated and moved in, June 14, 1967. 

and raised our kids here.


after divorce in 1984, I moved out in 1988
and gave the house to Pam.
She renovated it also and added a deck.



4th generation--same family
==================================================

My Parents:

Charles John and Dorathy Della (Hudgins) Walts--she English


He was a dairy farmer
Purchased the farm in March 1938.

I was born and brought up here. 
Susan came along 13 years later


Where my son Mark and Cindy now live



3rd generation--same family
=======================================================

My Great Great Grandfather Peter owned 80 acres here at one time.  Later sold it to the school district, where my grandmother Helene taught in 1915, boarded with the nearest family--Walts and thus met & married my Grandpa Roy.




What it looks like now and where I wanted to move 2 years ago

As you see, at one time the Walts' owned all the property around the 4 corners of Beard and Vernon Roads.  I am very fortunate that the 3 farms are still in our family, so.....anytime I get homesick, it is only a 30 minutes drive to get "home".

======================


Maternal  ancestor's at a later date.

16 comments:

  1. I hope you have made CDs of all your hard work for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They, my sister and her son, each have the family tree book I put together 2 years ago. I DO have the entire family tree on a disc, plus the book is also saved on a disc.

      Delete
  2. Amazing!!!!!!!!

    My question, and you know, I always have one!!!!!! Why didn't you end up, with one of these?

    I can see, how your place's taxes, would be easier to pay, than a bigger place... Things like this. But... When you say you "gave" it to your sister... I do hope that is a 'figure of speech.' Hope that money was exchanged, in your direction.

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i got the house after my Grandma died--I gave it to Pam. I didn't pay for it so I didn't figure she should either. Just passed it on. The reason I did not inherit any of this land or any of my father's $2M estate, is a long story. Let's just say, my step-mother betrayed my trusting nature.

      Delete
    2. Your step-mother "shafted" you.

      But she didn't "shaft" your siblings?

      Damn "rude" of her. A True B-I-T-C-H, I'd say.

      Happy Lughnasa!!!!!
      Luna Crone

      Delete
  3. That's so interesting, Judy. Nice that all is still in the family. I wish I had a pic of the house where my dad was raised.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortunate you, having pictures of homes that have been in your family for ages---and pictures of your ancestors!
    I have no really old photos---we could never afford a camera! Our aunts had them, and managed to get a few of us. I'm thankful to have them...and hungry for more!
    I wish you were still living 'out on the farm', Judy. I know you miss it! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved seeing these old photos and the history :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a great story ... in pictures!! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister and Mark and Pam lease out the land to a friend of my Dad's that have three sons that farm. They always need extra land. That rent money pays the property taxes on the farms. Win-Win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i enjoyed this judy, i know very little about my ancestors. when i have free time there are always so many things to do - i guess this does not interest me "as much" as my crafty things. and why didn't anyone smile, back in the day????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they were German. German's were serious, stoic people. LOL

      Delete
  9. It's wonderful that you have such records and photos. Your kids will appreciate your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so interesting, Judy. Nice that all is still in the family. I wish I had a pic of the house where my dad was raised.


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting to have so many generations continuing to live in the same general area so many years. This day and age so many generations gradually move away to be scattered around the country, even the world. You can certainly be proud of your heritage. I expect having all those documented records will be considered treasures by generations to come. Wonderful that the properties and houses have been kept up so well.

    ReplyDelete