title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Gray, cold, drippy

I have my porch pots planted, but not in place.  Tomorrow they are coming to power-wash my wee house, so I have my planters pushed way back out of the way.  I still haven't planted my Zinnia seeds because, #1: It's been to wet and #2:  I have to till that raised bed first and....it's been too wet.

I feel like I am late planting everything, but in reality, when I lived 25 miles north of here, we waited until Decoration Day weekend to plant, so....................

I got the 9th baby quilt done.  I have 9 grandchildren and decided 5 years ago that I wanted to do a cross-stitched baby quilt for each of them to choose from, for their first child.  I now have them all done.

If my grandson Marcus, marries that little farm girl,
this will be theirs.








This is the one Helene choose for Della



Finished yesterday
There will be one quilt left over.  My 2nd grand daughter, Susanna is not going to have children.  Which in a way is a good thing, as she is not the motherly type and is constantly traveling for New Balance shoes, running in marathons.  

Now I can stitch on my Nativity Scene, which has teeny-tiny holes and stitches.  I made a mistake yesterday and had to pull out stitches today, but it is going to be beautiful with the metallic threads and beads.

I have also, over the years, made afghans for the grand kids.  They have them, except for Jennifer's kids.  I have theirs packed away in nice tight plastic boxes and will ship her oldest, Andrew's to him on his 16th birthday this November.  I made it in MIT (Massachusetts Institute for Technology) colors because he's wanted to go there since he was 9.  It's a very handsome Claret red, gray and black.
===================
It has been a week since I bit my tongue all the way through, and it is still hurting.  I checked out the spot and it is healing, slowly.  I swished with warm salt water and dabbed a bit of Hydrogen Peroxide on it last night before I went to bed.  I did get a mouth guard and managed to get the impression good so it fits well, but during the night, I must spit it out because I spend a couple of times each night, patting around the bed, trying to find it to put back in.  HAH!
========================
I had fun yesterday at Michael's.  I got in line, waiting for the cashier, and a guy came up behind me with his cart.  He had on a dark navy shirt, pants and hat with a big yellow "M" (Michigan) on it.  His cart was filled with 2 large poster frames and several 8 x 10" poster frames.  He looked receptive to chat, so I said.
"Hm-mm.  Gathering sports memorabilia?"
"Yes.  Hey!  Good call.  How did you know?"
"I am a Spartan.  I went to the smart school."
"I oughta have you help me put all this stuff together."
"Oh, I've done it lots of times.  For award banquets, or displays, stuff like that.  I was involved in youth athletics for years."
"Then you're an expert!"
"No.  I'm a Spartan and don't you ever forget it," 

I could hear him laughing as I walked away, up to the cashier.

Some days are more fun than others. HAH!

13 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice.... When we get older.... We see a possibility of some fun.... And we take it!

    Bet years ago, you'd not have chatted with that guy. Nor would I. But now..... Watch out. "Old Lady" headed your way. :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so pretty!! Millions and millions of loving stitches put into these little quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh those quilts are beautiful! Have you signed them on the back with your name and date? I do that with my quilts using a fabric pen and I write on a separate piece of fabric, then I hand sew them in place...just in case I make a slip with pen.

    Good thing you have a cat instead of a dog. If my bite plate fell out Levi would use it for a chew toy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, those quilts are absolute treasures. Instant heirlooms. My mother makes cross-stitch projects (for framing) for all of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I know the amount of work that goes into that, and it's just amazing that you're willing to do it. I know that long after you're gone, your great-grands will love and cherish these gifts. The afghan present is great too. Andrew will love that and it will comfort him on cold winter nights! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ALL the quilts---your grands are fortunate to ave your nimble fingers.
    Isn't it fun to run into 'younger folk', male and female, who seem to find a way to connect. Or when we connect with them? Love it. Luna's right---not years ago, but now we can. Now that I need my cane, I seem to attract smiles and door-openers! Who knew?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So proud of you and all of your handwork.
    Your words always special.
    Have a wonderful day....

    ReplyDelete
  7. the quilts are beautiful, what a great idea to make them ahead. i like della's best and the one you just finished but really, they are all just awesome!!!

    men are not usually line chatters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a lot here, and I didn't mention the baby quilts. What an amazing accomplishment.

    Me, who doesn't do any of these things.... It is pretty darn amazing, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilts. These are treasures your grandchildren will have and hopefully pass to their.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little quilts are beautiful, Judy. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably making the quilts is not a pure altruistic motive. I don't want anyone to forget me for 100 years after I die, so these will remind them and they can tell the "Gramma Judy" story to their kids. HAH!
    Besides that, I needed to find an excuse to spend money to have something to cross-stitch and this gave me that excuse. I have to have something to do when I sit down to watch TV--some sort of handiwork to keep busy. There is a motive to my madness. HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness Judy these quilts are just amazing! Adorable and so much work ...love them!
    Lots of rain here lately too. At first we had a heat wave but once it cooled off and I knew that rain was in the forecast for a few days I planted my tomato plants and flower seeds all over the place..hope to see THEM come up faster than the weeds ( fat chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, the blankets are beautiful. They will love and cherish them.

    ReplyDelete