title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Long Day

I was on a good run, up through the branches of my client's family tree.  Clear up to the 15 generation.  Everything lined up.  Dates, names, places where they lived.  Than, all of a sudden, things got weird.  The 16th generation "father" showed being born 10 years before his son was born.

SAY WHAT?

Plus it showed him being born in France, which is feasible, but he NEVER came to England where all the rest of his descendants were born and died.

I hate when people do that!  They so want their ancestor's to be Royalty or something, that they feed false information into their family tree and then post it on Ancestry--for all the other genealogist to find.

It sure would ruin my reputation if I didn't notice things like that and sent it off to my clients.  Plus, it would be a huge embarrassment to me.
=============



Things got in motion today for my paint job.  My painter came and got started around noon, and by 1:30 he was done with the ceilings and not one single chunk of that dang popcorn ceiling fell off from the wet paint.  That was a big worry for us.

Look at the difference:



I have known this kid (48) since I moved in here.  He used to come around asking for handy-man jobs.  "Pay me whatever you want to," he used to say.  He did a lot of yard work for me.  Then, he was made Maintenance Manager of the park here and didn't have a whole lot of extra time.

Now he has gone into business for himself--$35.00 an hour for the professional jobs he does.  Not for me however, just a job quote not an hourly quote.

Besides all that, he knows exactly how to swap the hinges on my refrigerator, put in a new GFR plug for the media center/electric fireplace, install a new back door to stop the winter ice leakage so I wouldn't have to pack it with insulation every winter, put in a new kitchen sink and faucet--whatever I need, he can do it.  (If I can afford it)  LOL

Before he was grounds maintenance manager, he worked on the homes people wanted to sell in the park, so he knows manufactured homes inside-out.

Five years ago he painted my bathroom walls and did a great job, but at the time was kind of scared of painting the dreaded popcorn ceiling.  Now, he's done so many that he isn't too scared, but those popcorn ceilings can also cause trepidations.  If they get too wet, whole chunks of the ceiling finish can come falling down.

He is going to come over everyday, after he gets out of work or has a day off.  I told him if I wasn't here, just to come on in and work away.  You know, I never lock my front door.  (Which drives my sister nuts).  

The second he starts working on the last wall, I am going to call Lowe's and have them come out and measure for my carpet.  As long as my house in a wreck, I might as well get the carpeting done too.  Then I can put everything back and enjoy.
================
Merle and Pearl's cat Tiger, has turned kind of nasty the last couple of years.  I used to go visit and he'd hop up into my lap and fall asleep, while I petted him.  Then a couple of years ago, every time ANYONE came into their house, he'd jump out and bite ankles.  Their kids and grandkids--anyone.  It got so when their daughter Margie dropped in, she get the broom off the porch and keep it between her feet and the cat.

That really made Pearl mad.  "That's not very nice of her to do that.  He's my precious and he won't hurt anyone!"  Pearl kept denying he did any such thing--even after we'd show her our blood stained ankles.

Friday, I was in this front room and I looked out to see Tiger walking across the lawn.  Merle was following him.  I went outside.

"Did he get out of the house or are you taking him for a walk?"   I asked. 

"Pearl had the door open and he ran out.  I'm trying to herd him back home."

So, I went closer to the cat to get him to turn back home.  He did and Merle followed along behind.  I could hear Pearl calling him.  I came back in figuring the crisis was over.

Come to find out.  Tiger kept going up the street and when Merle finally got to him, close enough to gather him into his arms, Tiger took into him and bit Merle's arms and hands.  

Merle kept walking back home so he could get the cat inside the house, then he went up to the ER and got stitches in several places on both hands and arms.  His left hand is swollen just awful!  

If you have ever been bitten or clawed by a cat, you know how painful it can be and how quickly those cuts can get infected.

John called me this morning to tell me about the incident.  I haven't gone up to Pearl's to see the damage.  I guess they are going to turn the cat over to the Humane Society.  I would think Animal Control would be better, where they would just put Tiger, night, night forever!!!

Pearl is going to be devastated, but she has wanted a new kitty for a long time, so maybe now she can get one.
================
Well, I am pretty exhausted, so I am going to take the drop cloth off the TV, make some popcorn and sit down and watch TV, or knit, or something equally relaxing.

Have a good week.

8 comments:

  1. What exciting things are going on at your house. Redecorating always puts us in a good mood even if exhaustion is part of the equation.

    Sorry to hear about Pearl's cat. I wonder what changed him. If it was a dog I'd suspect a medical change like loss of hearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought maybe the cat had a brain tumor or something, but they took him into the vet two months ago and the vet said he was healthy, and fine. No issues. If a cat every reacted like that to me, I'd probably drop kick the thing into next week!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry but that cat would have gone bye bye long before now; I'd hate to have one that hurt people. :(

    It's going to be so nice when all your work is done. I think I asked before but what color carpet are you going to get. We don't have any here with the tile and wood floors, but the last I purchased was berber that you could easily clean up little problems and it never showed.

    I'm going to bed early; this flu has got me but good.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, and that dad was pretty young when he had the kid. hahahah Sorry that just struck me funny.

      Delete
  3. I was severely clawed by a cat once and it was awful. I still have scars. Forgive me but I don't like cats. Dog person all the way. We are in the same boat lately, Judy -- not re: genealogy but the remodeling thing. We are actually taking the popcorn ceiling off in our TV room/den. My husband -- a professional painting contractor who wouldn't get out of bed for $35 an hour -- is dreading it so. But it has to get done before the new carpeting comes. Maybe we'll both be enjoying the fruits of our labors by Labor Day. I too have a few handymen on speed dial to change this and install that and fix up the other, as my husband is so tired at the end of the day from supervising many jobs. It's nice when you know who to call. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I couldn't afford the taking off the ceiling AND the new carpet, so I wished and prayed that the popcorn would stay in place and................it's dry and all looks well.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for letting us follow your new decorating project! Doesn't take much to get us old lady bloggers excited! I've actually invited a pal over for dinner tonight! She had bought spare ribs (at Costco) and was in the middle of moving ... so stored them in my garage fridge. One last high calorie meal then back to watching my weight. My high school buddy has lost 40 lbs on WW since mid-Jan .... inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter's had great luck on WW. Karen is always on it, Pammie started in February--30# gone and Jen lost #50, since last fall.

      Delete