title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Family Tree Book

In regards of how I do a genealogy book,  the image below is how most family trees look.



I think that is way too confusing.
==================

My family group pages look like this:



Plus a bit of a background story, if there is one.


Plus a separate page showing, more clearly the information:




On this page would also be photos of the person, stories, proof of their military service, obituaries, photos of their gravestones, anything I can find on them.




Plus a separate page that I make on Excel with the pedigree.  Sometimes these Pedigrees go back 25-30 generations.  I print them out.  Cut and paste them together and have the print shop, copy them onto architect paper which is 11 x whatever length necessary.  It has to be 11" on the left side to be punched and fit in the book.  I then fold them up, inside the book, so the person can unfold them to whatever length they may be.




When I have all the information I can glean, I make a Word document, in story form.  I start with the person's father and work from his oldest ancestor DOWN.  At times the wives have an interesting lineage, so I include their pedigrees and stories of their ancestor's too.  Trying to keep all this information in a cohesive, understandable format can be challenging.

Then, I start the second section of the book with the person's mother and work my way UP through her lineage.

Most of the books end up being 100 pages or more.  I use nice sturdy matte paper ($41.00 for a box of 150 sheets) to print it out, then have it "combed" (punched) by the print shop with a nice clear cover, showing a family tree and a sturdy back cover, on a heavy duty coil for the spine.  This keeps the pages from tearing out and the pages lay flat for easy reading.




Sometimes these books take two or three months to do.  The research is what takes the longest.  There are so many places to look for whatever I can find.  I love the writing and creating the book part the most!

While I am writing the story, I am thinking of all these many ancestor's--hundred and hundreds of them.  What trials they might have gone through.  Some very wealthy, minimal trials, but perhaps died young.  Some dying on a battle field somewhere.  Crusader Knights, leaving their wives and children for years at a time.  

Some, very simple people, but with a courage I would not have had--to leave family, get on a ship and sail clear across that big ocean to start a new life here.  Many indentured servants, working for land owners and saving every penny, until they could buy land of their own and start their own family dynasty?

What about our Native Americans?  Living their own happy, contented lives, until unknown, strange looking white human beings came and kept pushing them off their own land.  Taking their land by force and not paying them a cent for it.  Killing their food supply for sport.  Pushing, pushing--ever backward into a concentrated area.  It makes me weep.

The African's that my 7th Great Grand Father's brother brought on a British ship to Virginia to be slaves.  Thankfully not my own Great Grand Father, who was a minister, but his brother.  What about them?  One time, back in the 1960's, while sitting in a motel in Virginia, I opened up the phone book and found hundreds of names with my Great Grand Father's last name.  No--I am not a direct descendant of a Virginia slave, but they carry the last name of my mother's family.  

Some ancestor's living in European, war-torn countries.  Persecuted for their religious or ethnic beliefs.  Hoping their children can escape to a new, free land.

The Irish caught up in the Potato Famine, of the religious wars.  The Saxon's of Germany.  The English and French, fighting each other.  New rulers came in and made new religious laws.  A few years later, another ruler came in, changing those religious laws back to the original laws.  The women, sailing across the ocean while pregnant.  Dying in childbirth.  

So many dying from the Black Plague or even the Influenza epidemic of 1918, here in this country.  I have 3 family members from my 3rd Great Grand Father's family, his siblings, who died on the same day.  November 2, 1918.  A brother aged 24, a baby sister aged 3 and another baby sister aged 6 months.  On the same day!  How would a mother and father go through that and keep their sanity?  They had a strong faith in God?

and yet....our direct ancestor made it!  I always wonder...if my 8th Great Grand Father had died, in the Civil War, as his son had, who would I have been born to?  Where?  What name would I have?

We carry the DNA of every single one of those direct ancestor's!  Just imagine that for a moment.  How far back?  Adam?  Noah?  It boggles my mind.

That's why I love genealogy.  I am obsessed with it!  Each person I research, each book I make is filled with time and love for the history of that family. Their names get stuck in my head, like they are my own ancestor's.  Thankful.  Experience.  Silence.  Methitable, some of the women's names.  Conradus, Casper, Evin, Bodic, some of the men's names.  

It is all just history, but it is OUR history!  




13 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog and information, Judy. I love genealogy, too, and have done it since I was in the 20s and helping my mother. It's so much easier now than back then when you actually had to go to courthouses or write to them of information.

    Have you ever wanted to get the DNA test for ancestry? I'm very tempted and would for sure if I had kids. I know I have 1/2 Italian, 1/4 English and 1/4 Irish but I'm wondering about French because my Italian ancestors lived so close to the border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I would love to get it and am very tempted. I know I am English/French/German. But I just bet there is some Dutch in me too and maybe a teeny bit of Irish. Someday I will get the DNA test done.

      I remember all those letters to Libraries/Court Houses in New York--hunting down ancestor's. Trips all over the state, hunting cemeteries for their graves. Fred and I took a trip to New York, and Pennsylvania, specifically to find his great great grandpa who fought at Gettysburg with the Bucktail Regiment. We found his name engraved on the big Pennsylvania monument and also found his grave--waaaaaaaay out in the country in a tiny cemetery. At first, Fred thought I was nuts for wanting to do this, but by the end of the 3rd day, he was really into it and we found many of his ancestor's graves. You're right. It IS easier nowadays with the Internet, but the research still takes hours and weeks and months. I love it!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you and Fred were able to make those trips, Judy. Such a great memory of wonderful times.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is a lot of work! I'm glad you enjoy it so much! Those books you make look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really! You should be a detective! Who would suspect a little old lady? I love how you are so tenacious when research OTHER people's genealogy. I'm interested in my own but not sure I could commit to those hours for someone else! THANK YOU for doing mine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Old Lady? I stand 5'11", I am old, but not little. HAH
      I am a dyed in the wool snoop. LOL Snooping in other's lives is my life's breath. At least, snooping in their ancestor's lives. :-) I didn't find any pirates or scoundrels in yours AW--just a lot of heroes! I think you will be surprised.

      Delete
    2. LOL "I am a dyed in the wool snoop"

      Delete
  4. Judy, your work looks fantastic!! Your clients must be thrilled when they receive their books. I really like the looks of the books too, so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do such a nice job on your books.....and I love that you love doing it.

    You would make a good detective, you've got that dogged determination thing down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy - such a wonderful post! I enjoyed every word.

    I'm not too far into my dad's family history, but my sis in law and I want to go to his hometown, Wickliffe, Kentucky. We've been talking about for a long time. I'm really sad that we didn't get to meet his family except once when my oldest brother and I were very young.

    We do have (on mom's side) a handwritten letter (very long) of I think, my great great grandfather about the civil war? My nephew has it, and transcribing on the computer. There was a real mix-up on who should have the original. The handwriting was so beautiful.

    Oh, and I like being a detective also. I've found some things about other people's families. hahaha

    Thank you for this wonderful post!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, our great grandfather was a minister. Oh, and the names back then; grandfather who died when mom was five: Augustus White; his father Simeon Augustus. Okay I think I'm done now. :)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful explanation of your process and the world it opens up, for you and especially for your client. I am so grateful to know you and to be the recipient of your first 'professional' work. Your probing and your weaving together of facts (triple checked) is far more insightful than a family tree.

    Might you put this post out on FB (only this post, separating it from this blog for privacy reasons), and other social media, to attract those of us who long to know our roots? Hmmm, if you posted on FB ( and friended me), I could share your link to this post...

    My sister asked if you could create the family tree version as well. Is it possible to make this a supplement to a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know quite what you mean about the "family tree" version. You would have to have the Family Tree Maker software and then I think I could share it from what I collected over to your software. I think.

      Delete