title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Rainy, Gray, but I'm Feeling Content.

The weeks are going much too fast!  Friday tomorrow--again.  It seems like it was just Friday a couple of days ago.

The weather has been so stinking cold all day and tomorrow too, so I am just staying inside and doing what I do best.  Knitting and genealogy.  At 5:00 this evening, I realized I hadn't brought up my trash can--that was emptied at 7:00 this morning.

I got my hair cut yesterday, and the girl that did it charged me what Tracy would have, which is about $15.00 less than the salon usually charges.  I don't get why women would pay $45-50.00 to get a hair cut.  Anyway, with that price staying the same, I will continue to go back there AND she cut my hair nice and short, just like I like it.  Tracey always wanted to leave it a bit longish.  I like it an inch or less all over.

I told Julia, the girl who cut my hair that the last time I was in, when I went to check-out, the reception asked me if I wanted to make another appointment and Tracy said, "Oh.  She doesn't need to do that. She'll call when she's ready."  That seemed odd at the time because I usually always make an appointment 6 weeks out.  

"T think Tracy knew then that she was sick," I told Julia.

"Yes.  She's known for a couple of months that something was wrong, but only when the pain in her right side became unbearable, she decided to get it checked out."

The Cancer started in her left upper lung and then metastasized to her liver (which is on the right side). She was very tired and lost over 20 pounds very quickly.  Both signs of cancer, plus the pain.  She now weighs 86 pounds.  She doesn't have enough weight or strength to fight this, I don't think.  She was to see the oncologist today.  

I will wait to send her an e-mail this weekend.  I don't know what to say, so I won't say much, but apparently it won't be a bother to her as she left cards with her address and e-mail, at the receptionist's desk to give to her customers.
=======================
I stopped in to see Pearl and let her know about Tracy, as she went there too.  Pearl is really getting confused.  She is at that stage of senility, when she says  nonsensical things or the wrong thing and if I correct her, she gets mad and tells me I didn't hear her right because I'm deaf.

I was working on her computer--again--she claimed she had been hacked.  She had somehow installed a registry cleaner, she claims she didn't click on anything, but...................There was a picture of two of her great grand children on FB.

I said, "Oh look.  There's Kathy's two grand babies. What's the youngest ones name?"

She replied, "The oldest one is Colon."

(His name is Colton.)

I turned so I could see and hear her better.  "Colon?", I enunciated very clearly. 

"Yes, that's what I said.  Colon."

"What is the youngest ones name."

"Oh--that's Naomi."

"It looks like a boy."

"Oh,  Yes.  Easton."

"I thought the oldest ones name was Colton."

"It is.  That's what I said."

"No...you said his name was Colon.  You repeated Colon twice."

"I did not.  You better get a hearing aide.  You can't hear a thing I say!"

I forgot the 1st cardinal rule of senility--don't argue with them.  ARGGH!  It's sad!

Got the Turbo Cleaner uninstalled and uninstalled a couple of other programs that have appeared since the last time I worked on her computer.  All is well--until the next time.

BTW--Merle is working at the golf course again this summer.  He is doing so well!!!  His kids don't think he should work. Pearl wants him out of the house.   Merle loves to have something to do every day to feel useful.

Whatever...none of my business.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your friend, Tracy. Such a terrible thing, Judy. :(

    I agree about not arguing especially when someone is dealing with dementia. I learned for a fact today (which I suspected) that one of my oldest friends is suffering with that also. Both of her parents developed that, and in later years her mom had Alzheimer's disease. She had it for years and was in assisted living. As much as I hate what that disease took from my precious father, at least he passed peacefully one year later.

    Good for Merle! I'm thinking of getting some kind of part time work myself. A way to get out of the house, give Patti some privacy, and for me to meet people. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I also meant to say you are so kind to Pearl helping her with the computer time after time. I'm not sure I'd have the patience that you have. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very sad about Pearl. I agree about not correcting her, it seems fruitless and probably embarrasses her. I'd go along with her unless it's important.

    I like rainy days when I stay inside and read or watch a movie or work on a project. It gives an excuse to slow down and enjoy. I know most people don't like rainy days, but I'm not one of those. Have a good day, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merle and Pearl need some time apart each day. It's very stressful to deal with failing mental capacities.

    Paying for a good hair cut is one thing. What I don't understand are the women who pay hundreds for coloring I know someone who pays $400 every 8 weeks! Such a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $400.00? Is her hair colored with gold leaf?

      Delete
  5. Yes, it's too bad about Tracy. I swear I am not waiting one second to get any kind of unexplained pain checked out! So many people do and it ends up being cancer! That's nice you are so patient and helpful with Pearl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's cold and rainy here as well, our 7 day forecast is bleak heading into the weekend!!

    as for pearl, it is more important to be kind than it is to be right. it's a go with the flow kinda' thing. as a nurse, i dealt with it all the time but that patience comes with time, i think you are doing just fine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hair is a very big investment! I remember $20 haircuts. Now I pay $30. I've tried going grey but I didn't like the first impression it gave people. OLD. FAT. GRANDMOTHER. No need to pay attention to her. I can't change the old. I'm working on getting rid of the fat. I love being a grandmother .... but no need for people to form a judgment until they talk with me!!

    It's HOT here. My sister is in Singapore where the low is about 80!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too get my hair trimmed every six weeks and I don't know what I'd do without my hairdresser. He's a senior citizen with a solo practice way out in the country. I drive nearly 40 minutes to get to him but he's worth it. He charges me $25 and has for over a decade without ever raising his price. He keeps my hair at my perfect jawline length and never ever makes a mistake. He's a treasure. I tell him when he retires, I'll have to shave my head. I'm so sorry about Tracy. What a hard thing. Thanks for dropping by my blog. xoxo

    ReplyDelete