title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, October 24, 2016

October 24, 1961

It was a 70 degree day.  Sunny and bright.  The window in the hospital labor room was open and I could see the construction guys working on the hospital's new addition.  I was having back labor.  The nurse came in at 3:00 and said I was a "nester" and it would be hours before the baby was born.

My husband decided he'd go down to the cafeteria, get something to eat and have a smoke.

He left the room, I rolled over onto my back and all of a sudden--my water broke, I felt the need to push, I scooted down a bit on the bed and out came the baby.  I was yelling "Nurse. Nurse!" and pressing on the call button.

The nurse came in, flipped back the top sheet and said, "Oh my gosh!  You had the baby!"

Nearly a month overdue, when the doctor arrived, he checked my little baby girl with his penlight and said, "She has brown eyes and two tiny teeth!  I've never believed in ten month babies, but I might have to believe it now!"

My husband came back and the nurse stopped him out in the hall.  "You can't go in there.  Your wife just had the baby."

He stammered, "In the labor room!?"

"Yes," the nurse said.  "You can't go in there!"

Cutest little girl you ever saw.  Those big, round dark brown eyes.  Sweetest disposition.  We named her Karen Helene.  My grandmother's first name was Helene.





Thirty-one years and ten months ago, Karen Helene gave birth to her first child.  A girl she named Helene Mary--my grandmother's full name.  She was born in Minnesota so I didn't get to see her, my first grandchild, until she was 3 months old.


Today is Karen's 55th birthday.  While I was posting a birthday greeting on Face Book for her, she called.  9:10

"Oh Mom.", she was crying.  I got scared.  "Helene has had the baby.  She was in labor all Saturday night and all day yesterday.  They gave her an  Epidural at three this morning, but the baby wasn't moving.  Then the baby's heart dropped.  About ten medical people ran into the room.  Flipped Helene over on her stomach and rushed her off for an emergency C-section.  They just came and told us they are both fine, but........I haven't even see her yet!"

"Thank you, God!" I shouted.  Then tried to calm my daughter.  "Happy Birthday, Sweetheart."

"Oh...yeah.  I forgot!"

"Happy Birthday, Grandma!  Tell Helene I love her, and post photos when you can.  Everything is all right now."
=========================
Today, on her grandmother's birthday, my first great grand child was born.  Her name?  Della Helene.  Della, after my mother's middle name and Helene, after momma's name, grandma's middle name and her 3rd great grandma's name.  Our family is big on naming our kids their first or middle name after an ancestor.

 Happy Birth Day, Della Helene
Happy Birthday, Grandma Karen Helene
Isn't she the prettiest grandma ever?  Still has the sweetest disposition!

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! And she does have a beautiful grandma! I know you must be very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Babies are such a joy and they make Facebook really worthwhile with all the photos you'll get to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Judy! Enjoy your beautiful great grandchild. They grow so quickly and before long you will be sharing stories about the history of her ancestors with her. My first great-grandson is almost five months now and it seems that he just arrived yesterday. We are enjoying a great autumn up here in the center of Canada. My geraniums are still blooming not sure for how much longer - but it is nice to see. Carly

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great story and congrats to everyone. i enjoyed all of the pictures, especially the one of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so happy for you
    what a beautiful baby..
    tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very happy for you all, and what a beautiful heritage behind naming babies. I love the name Della Helene!! Tears of joy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your family. I love family names. What a wonderful day for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh mercy me - the grandma and her first grandchild - how very, very wonderful, Judy. Your Karen in her baby pic looks so much like Patti, amazing really. I'll have to send you a photo. I'm happy for you all; God's blessings for sure. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly wonderful and beautiful. So happy for you. Congratulations to all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete