title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Pilot Lights~Plowing~Politics

We only got 6" of snow, but it had the freezing rain under it, so a bit of difficulty walking today.

John came and cleared out half my driveway.  I don't know why only half, but.............


I was feeling a bit achy so decided to jump in the shower for a nice, long soak.  The water pipes are cold this time of year, so it takes a while for the warm water to reach the shower.

It takes a while.  Not five minutes!!!  DAMN!  No hot water.  Again!  3 times in two months.

I put my jammies back on and stomped into the computer room to call the Service Plan company I have through my electric supplier.

"We can have a service man there before noon," she said.  "He will call you first.  He is with CT Heating and Cooling."

"Would that be Mike?"

"Yes."

"Great.  I had him last time."

Back into my bedroom to pull all the clothes and stuff on the floor out of the closet, and take off the fireproof door that encloses the water heater.  This is the hardest part of the whole job!

Big Mike arrived at 12:05.

"Wasn't I just here two weeks ago?"

"Yep.  Same problem.  Pilot light went out.  Blew out from the wind we had yesterday or....something."

"Well, I'm gonna get it fixed this time!"

He went back outside and checked up on the roof to make sure the vent pipe was correct.  Then he came back in (tracking snow all over) and checked above the water heater to make sure the vent pipe was correct.  Then he laid down on the closet floor (barely room for him), got a brush, cleaned out the burner and lit it.

"Hm-mm," he said.  "Didn't you tell me you had a new thermal-couple put in last year?"

"Yes.  Last April."

"Well, I'm going to check it anyway."

When he got it out he handed it to me.  "Can you see what's wrong?"

"It looks like one of the tiny wires is broken."

"Yep.  Whoever put it in, crimped it and bent the copper tube with the wires inside, which broke off one of the wires.  Every time your house moved, with settling or a real windy day, that wire shorted out and stopped the gas from the pilot light."

I waited 30 minutes after he left and had a nice hot shower!  Age and experience is so important in service men.  Rather than just get the job done quickly, they get the job done right the first time.
====================
I had to walk up to Pearl's and buy a can of wet cat food from her.  My cats had none for their supper and I had no money to go buy any.

I spent the rest of the day, cleaning up the house, and watching my team's basketball game in the evening.

"Everyone" is saying the Michigan State Spartans are going to win it all this year.  I've heard that before so I am not getting too excited as yet.  But--this kid is something else.  This is what he did last night, when we trounced Rutgers.
John and Maizey stopped in at 10:00!  I was nearly ready to go to sleep!!!
=================
My Social Security hit my checking account this morning, so I wrote the rent check, which went up this month, and at 2:00, am off to Wal-Mart to buy a whole bunch of stuff I need.  I can't really figure out what kind of food to buy, but I will be well stocked with bathroom tissue, Kleenex, paper towels, water and Diet Pepsi!  I will call John and have him tote everything in from car trunk to kitchen.  HAH!
====================
I am so distressed by all the political mess going on that I can hardly sleep at night.  These "people" are tearing my Grand Old Party to pieces!  It reminds me of 1964 when "they" were trying to keep the nomination away from Goldwater.  I didn't like him any more than I like Trump, so on election day, I left the top of the ballot empty and just voted for the rest of the Republicans.

Appears I might have to do that again this November!  It's just that back then, I didn't worry about politics like I do now.

6 comments:

  1. Glad your hot water pilot was fixed right this time.

    We live in such serious times it's easy to worry about our future---economy, safety, etc.---as a country. Keeps me stressed too. The GOP is falling apart at the seams and it's hard to watch. I can see it splitting into two parties and maybe in the long, long run that is a good thing. In the meantime, the best hope for the GOP is a brokered convention and Trump fans will not like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're fixed good and proper now for hot water. Nothing worse; oh wait ~ I can remember my grandmother heating water on the stove for our bath in the tin bucket on the back porch. I just knew someone would be looking in the windows; of course hardly since no one lived anywhere even remotely close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless John, Pearl and Mike. and the Spartans.

    Donald sure does voice contempt well, doesn't he? He's spraying the whole establishment with bullets and shooting to kill. A lot of frustrated testosterone out there. Apparently enough Republicans want a killer-in-chief this election cycle to take him to the convention. The, if Donald's gun is ripped out of their hands, people may well riot. I recall there were pretty ugly politics in the sixties. I just hope no politician loses his or her life, this year.

    How can this end well? I believe we could survive a Hilary Presidency better than a Donald Presidency, but I'm only one vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's worse? Having Hillary as president or Donald Trump? If you do not vote for the Republican nominee you are giving the presidency to that woman. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, hopefully you won't have any more pilot light problems! I will be so disappointed if Trump becomes the Republican candidate! I may have to vote independent. I've done it before and although it seems like a wasted vote, I am beginning to think all votes are wasted anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got it fixed. Hopefully no more problems. I tried to comment a few days ago, but I had a problem. Not on your end. It was me. :)

    Rubio did well in VA, but didn't carry the state. With a little more money thrown at it, he could have won here. Kasich or Rubio would be better than Trump. Almost anyone would be better. :( Romney wants you to vote for Kasich, doesn't he? He wants people to vote for whichever candidate is highest in the polls in their state - besides Trump - to try to beat Trump back. Isn't that Kasich in your state? What do you think of that strategy? We've never seen a year like this, have we?

    ReplyDelete