title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day--Without a Mother--Without a Son and Daughter, but......Nice

The high temperature today was:  75 degrees
Sunny and pleasant
================================
I woke up at 6:30 a.m.--the earliest I have awoken since my hip surgery two years ago, LOL.  I got up too.  By 9:00, I was ready for a nap, but Pammie arrived and off to church we went.  Everyone knew instantly that she was my daughter--we have that whole looking alike thingie going.  How wonderful to sit with her, stand with her while we sang out old familiar hymns.  The last hymn, we stood arm and arm.

Today's sermon was on "Reconciliation" and how Mother's are the reconcilers of the world.  "Be nice to your little brother."  "Tell your sister you're sorry." Pammie and I were both thinking of how I could achieve reconciliation with Jennifer.  As we were driving, Pammie said, "I've said a few things to her Momma, but I won't get in this middle of this because I think it is just plain stupid.  I don't understand it!  I don't understand how family members can hold a grudge so long with other family members.  I couldn't be that way."

Of course not, because Pammie is like her Momma and her Momma's side of the family and Jennifer and son Mark are like their Dad.  My ex and I were having an argument one time and he brought up something that had happened 22 years before.  I didn't even remember it.  He was still seething about it.  Ridiculous!!!  I have apologized to Jennifer, over and over.  What else can I do?

So, Karen invited us down for lunch and we had the perfect picnic out on their new deck.  Grilled Hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, baked beans and fresh veggies and chocolate chip cookies.  Madeleine was there and Karen's two sons, Marcus and Stephen so I got to see and talk with them.

After my Mother died, I hated Mother's Day.  I didn't want to even celebrate.  My best friend Arlene, felt the same way--her Mother died a couple of years after mine.  Then one day, we decided that we had to be happy for our children who wanted to celebrate us--so we sucked it up.  Still on this day, I always get a tear because I remember when it was Grandma sitting at the end of the pew, Mother,  me next to her and my children next to me.

Today, I made Pammie sit in the pew and I sat on the outside--just like when she was little.  "So you can keep an eye on me?"  she asked.

"Yes...and don't fidget!"
================
Grand daughter Madeleine told me today that she had decided what to do after graduation.  She is going to the near Community College and take a nursing(?) course for one term.  Then in January, she is going to a mission in Guatemala.  Help the women and children mostly, but help build houses.  She figures after being there for six months, she will know better if she wants to study something like that or go into another field.  She has never, ever mentioned wanting to be a nurse.  I think she just wants to be a "helper" to the world.

Grandson Stephen, going to be a Junior at MSU has been accepted in the Medical program there.  He still doesn't know his speciality, but he figures after being involved in all things medical, it will come to him.

Marcus graduated college four years ago.  He is a Nuclear Engineer and works for the Fermi Nuclear Energy plant near the Michigan/Ohio border.

Karen and Mark have done such a wonderful job raising those five children.  I have always been amazed at their parenting skills.  Plus, Karen and Mark go every five years or so to Marriage weekends put on my their church.  They have a fabulous marriage--they are truly a team.  I am so very happy for them.  Wish my three others had such good lives.

Now this next month is going to be busy.  Prom next Saturday and I have been invited to go to Maddy's house at 4:00 to see all the kids.  Madeleine's last concert.  Madeleine's last ballet recital.  Graduation, open houses--I have been invited to those kids I love--her friends, open houses.  I was going to Maddie's open house early and then leave so Jen could come later.  Today Karen told me to come early and stay for the whole thing.  "Jennifer's feelings are not your problem Mother.  You always come and stay for the other kids open houses.  Don't change because of someone else's snit."  OKAY!!!


Jennifer did not recognize me this year--again and my son didn't call, but still in all--I had a really nice day.

6 comments:

  1. Gotta count your blessings and forget the rest. You did a wonderful job with these two and now it's coming full circle. Glad you had a good day and it sounds like your month is going to be a happy one as well. What successful grandchildren you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice day, Judy, and the plans coming up sound great, too. Happy times, and like Karen says, Jennifer's "issues" do not have to be yours and will not stand in the way of you enjoying all these lovely events with people who adore you.
    Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Karen - l00%.

    So happy you had a wonderful Mother's Day, Judy. If anyone deserved it, you do. And, so much to look forward to. :)

    That's a great photo!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture
    and do not look back (hard to do)
    one day at a time
    and we count our blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you had a nice day. Your daughters are beautiful and they obviously love you and realize the reality of Jen's issues. I can't believe how accomplished your grands are. They must have gotten it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your Mom's Day went well. Life goes on no matter what. Sometimes we just have to roll with the punches.Hopefully next year will be different. She's losing so much by ignoring you. Life is short.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete