title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, May 16, 2014

I'm Cranky!!

Today's high temperature was: 54 degrees
Sunny, but chilly
31 last night, 38 tonight
===========================
I have to state--my schedule is not one made from self discipline.  It is made because of LACK of self discipline.  I had to get some kind of "reason" in my life or I just spend too much time sitting and not doing, while dust collects and the daily mystique of fur falling from the cats starts to bury me.

This is what my cats remind me of.  Every step they take, you can almost see the fur falling from their bodies!  When the sun comes in the window--at just the right angle, you can actually see it fly off them and into the air.

========================
Thursday I went up to Durand (35 miles north) to have lunch with the Old School Gal Pals.  I was in a great mood...which lasted until June arrived.  I have told you about June--right?  She was a teacher for years and has traveled to 6 Continents.  She was the youngest in a large family and her Daddy's absolute favorite child!!  She likes to "hold court".  

She's the one who once asked me, "Don't you have a desire to travel abroad?"

"No."

"Oh why not?"

"I prefer to travel around the United States--by car--and see the wonders we have right here!"

"Oh.  You've missed so much in your life."  
<well, lah dee dah>

When we gather for these lunches, there is a direct hesitation on our parts, to see where June is going to sit before we take our seats--as none of us wants to sit beside her.  I DO NOT want a two hour conversation JUST with June.  I'd like to be able to talk with my other friends.

Of course, yesterday....

I got to the place early and asked for a table set-up for eight people.  My friend Ruth got there right behind me.  It was a long table--not conducive for conversation--round tables are always better.

I was seated against the wall, the end chair so my legs don't get cramped, Ruth was across from me.  In walked June!  She decided she had to sit next to me and wondered if I could get up while she scooted in.  A few minutes later, in walked one of our classmates that we hadn't seen in a year--June's high school best friend.  June directed her to sit across from her, next to Ruth.

The rest of the girls came in--some of my closest friends--and sat at the other end of the table.  

I had never been to this particular restaurant(?)--we usually go to the one next door.  It was dark, dingy, dirty and quite depressing--to me anyway--and old bar that still smelled of smoke and beer.  

We had a horrendous waitress.  She kept coming up and wanting to take orders before all the girls had arrived.  There were not enough menus, so we had to share.  She finally took our orders and of course they were all messed up when she brought them back so we all took what she handed us and them passed them around to the correct person.  

The waitress was soon back, holding 3 small cups of salsa.  She put them down in front of Virginia (June's friend), who had ordered a Chef salad.  Virginia said, "I don't need any salsa, thank you."  Then the waitress stood at the end of the table and loudly said, "Someone at this table needs salsa.  Who needs salsa!?"

I said, "I ordered Taco's.  I could use some salsa."  So she slammed the cups down on the table in front of me.  "Would you like sour cream too?" she asked.  "No thank you." I replied.

"Does anyone else need anything?"

Ruth said, "I'd like some dressing for my salad, please."  Virginia said, "I'd like some dressing for my salad too."  Liz at the end of the table voiced the same request.  She zipped out and came back with the dressing for the others and placed 2 small cups of sour cream in front of me. Apparently she thought I didn't really mean that I DIDN'T WANT NO STINKING SOUR CREAM!!!

Then...the travelogue began.  In her loud take charge teacher's voice, June commenced to tell Virginia and Virginia's husband (yeah, her husband), all about her trip to Africa.  There was much ado about snakes and spider's the size of dinner plates and camping and her screaming and her husband screaming when he saw the spider and..........................

Virginia kept saying, "Oh yes.  I remember you telling us about that trip,", but June continued.

Ruth and I tried to talk a bit, but it was not to be.  We were sitting across from each other--3 feet apart perhaps and we could not hear each other.

June, of course, hadn't ordered off the menu like everyone else.  She decided she wanted the salad bar, so she kept getting up, which meant that I had to get out of my chair each time, to let her out and then back in to her seat.  Let's just say--she made a few trips!

I got up and went down to the other end of the table to talk to my friends for a few minutes and when I came back, I bent down and whispered to Ruth, "I got an extra chair down there.  Why don't you go down and talk to Sandy and Sally for awhile," which she did with great relief written all over her face.

The impatient waitress kept popping in--with the usual address to old women that they, for some unknown reason, like to use.  "What can I get you, Honey--or Sweetheart--or the ever popular Dearie."  I soooo hate that!  It took me years to get comfortable with being called "Ma'am" and now they have jumped up to the other terms for the elderly.

She brought us our bills.  $6.53 for 3 cold, unappetizing Taco's.  Most of the girl's promptly put their money or cards on the tray with their bills and she took them away.  Of course, when she presented us with the bills, we had to once again do the pass around to get the correct bill to the correct eater.  Than, when she brought back the change, that too had to be all sorted out.  Then she said, "Have I tooken up all your bills yet?"

Dead silence as we all stared at her.  Tooken?

So we started answering her with "yes, I'm fine" or "No. Just a minute."  She hadn't tooken up mine yet, so I got out my money and said, "You haven't taken mine.  Here you go."

I generally tip 20%, but yesterday, I laid 7 one dollar bills on my bill tray, told her I didn't need change and that was it!!!

I could not for the life of me wait for the obligatory two hour session to end.  If I had stayed I am sure I either would have slapped June or told her to shut her damn mouth for two seconds.  I bolted 20 minutes early--followed by most of the others.

Bethie didn't attend yesterday as she had family at her house for the week.  Her son died last month.  I think I mentioned it here.  He lived way over in the Czech Republic, so Bethie has been through an awful time.  I'm almost glad she wasn't there--except I missed her--but I don't think her nerves could have withstood the whole scenario.
========================
When I left, I talked to myself for the next ten miles as I drove over to a little town I lived near for the first ten years of my married life and visited my dear friend and neighbor who still lives there.  I hadn't seen Barb in 3 years and we had a really, really nice 2+ hour chat!!!  We were young married women and mother's together those 10 years.  I learned a lot about how to cook from her and how to garden.  We spent time together each and every week day.  Her birthday was Wednesday and I wanted to share with her.  Of course we talked of the old days and the changes our lives have taken--she is now a widow--and the ever popular--"Where has the time gone?"  It was lovely.
==========================
I knew we were going to have a frost last night and I already had my planters nestled on the front porch, so I tucked some nice thick pillow cases Bethie had made me, over the long planters and an old flannel baby blanket over the 3 tiered planter so they could snuggle and be safe.


I made the mistake of posting this photo on FaceBook and of course, took some flak for planting too early.  I know I planted too early!!  I have never planted my annuals until after May 15th.  I had my reasons--so Pammie could see them when she came down on Mother's Day...because she may not get back here all summer.

That's another thing that makes me cranky--it seems I can barely post anything now and someone will make a negative or critical comment.  GEEZ!!!  I lived a negative, critical life for my first 55 years--I don't need people now telling me how stupid I am.  FB is getting to me.  There are so many filthy links posted--or swearing and nasty words and people fighting with each other in the comments section.  Me thinks it is time to just play my games there and not post any of my thoughts or musings.  
===========================
This afternoon, I had an appointment with the food pantry--Gleaners.  It was a weird experience.  I did get some fresh fruit and meat and cake!!  I am allowed 40# of food.  Some things don't count in that weight--they are free, like washing detergent (which I got) and 4 rolls of bathroom tissue (which I got), produce, baked goods.  When I got all done going up and down every aisle in that small place, I only had 12# that counted.  They wanted to fill up my basket with a whole bunch of stuff that I knew I would never use.  Oatmeal, cans of chili, stew, spaghettiOs, dried milk, Gatorade--yuck, yuck and yuck.  I didn't want to seem ungrateful, so I told them that I just wanted to take what I absolutely needed and would use.  That there "are so many needy families, I don't want to take what they need."  They thought I was very gracious.  HAH--gracious?  I am such a snob I don't like half the stuff in that place!  

I did get some ground beef and a small roast, baby carrots, canned potatoes and some diced tomatoes.  I can cook the roast with the carrots and although I hate canned potatoes, I can put them in with the roast last of all and give them a better taste.  I also got 6 cupcakes, watermelon, other fruit, some pears, a can of tuna and some other stuff I can't remember.  It was a humiliating experience to say the least.

Oh yeah--my neighbor Tami was there.  She and her hubby both have jobs.  She makes over $12.00 an hour and he makes $9.00 and still--she has to go to the food bank?

Oh yeah, Dar called this morning and said, "When you go.  Get peanut butter and jelly and some bread for me."  Dar, who works 40+ hours a week at $15.00 an hour wants ME to get her stuff from the poor people's food pantry?  I think not!!!

AND--I got more cranky, looking at a couple of big fat women, outside smoking their over 7 dollars a pack cigarettes, with their TWO carts apiece, filled to the top and overflowing.  Can afford ciggies and probably beer, but can't afford food for their kids!!! 

I HATE PEOPLE!!!

Pride goeth before the fall---so I expect to fall any day now.
=============

Speaking of falling--Pearl walked down to see me this late afternoon!  Gosh it was great to see her walking steady and at a pretty good pace.  The dizziness from her fall is going away and she wanted to see my annuals--all stacked on the porch to be covered again tonight--just in case.

Next week, the night time temps are suppose to be in the 50's, so I will put everything back up where it belongs and we should be good to go.

These were the visitor's I had just today---
Right across, down and back left:
Baltimore Oriole.  Downy Woodpecker.  Blue Jay.  Grosbeak and some kind of sparrow.  Rosy Breasted Grosbeak.  Ladder back Woodpecker (2).  Gold Finch and Chick-A-Dee.  Gold Finch and Cardinal.
Hummer and my fave--Tufted Titmouse.
=======================
If I don't get arrested for bodily harming someone--I will see you on Monday.  Jude



10 comments:

  1. Oh, Judy! I think with that luncheon, I would have tooken myself out even earlier than you did. Oh boy.

    You're not cranky, but even if you were I'd say you had good reason.

    So glad you had such a nice visit with your friend, though. I'm sure that made up, at least in part, for the lunch deal. :)

    I'm also glad that Pearl is doing better.

    And, that Dar! Really, some nerve there.

    I'm glad you're getting help with groceries; every little bit helps these days!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we've all had a June in our lives. What a pain they are! I, too, have no desire to travel abroad and I don't understand why that is SO hard for the June's of the world to understand. If I want to go to exotic places I'll read a book and let my imagination run wild. I like my comfortable house more, I guess.

    I can't believe it's the middle May and my birdbath was frozen solid when I got up this morning. Crazy weather! Your plants are mostly in pots that you can move in for protection, so what is there for people to criticize? Lots of people plant in mid May and most years it's not a problem at all if you can cover them, if needed.

    I would have such a hard time not being snippy with Dar! Going to a pantry is a privilege and like you, I wouldn't want to abuse that by getting stuff for someone else or stuff I wouldn't use. As for the others who do abuse the system....we all have to live with our own actions and choices and in the end you can still keep your pride. They can't.

    Glad Pearl is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't have said that I HATE PEOPLE!! I just have a real hard time tolerating fools--and it gets worse the older I get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is just worth it to me to spend a day grousing about everything and I mean everything....I just give myself license to do it and then it passes. LOL That waitress in the restaurant was a piece of work. Last time I'd go there but then who knows what kind of day she was having.
    I am so jealous that you have that beautiful rose breasted grosbeak coming to visit!!! I've only seen one in my life. They are beautiful, as are the evening grosbeak in their yellow coats.
    Still too cold here for flowers too and it is pouring this morning with high winds....still going to move the first of my things to Jason's.
    So happy to hear Pearl is better. You are such a good neighbor!


    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you had me cracking up right off the bat about the cat hair...it is the same here! One cat and 2 dogs. For being cranky you sure can be funny at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see one reason you didn't post yesterday - June! What is it with some teachers? I have to ask my sister repeatedly to turn down the volume when we're at a restaurant. And I know that withering 'Oh..." she gives if someone doesn't share her love of cooking or kissing on both cheeks. I saw her at my Dad's birthday party last weekend. The next morning we women went out to breakfast. Somehow the topic came round to talking behind people's backs.

    Sister says : "We never talk about each other behind each other's back."

    "We don't?" I say.

    "Well, I never do.". She says.

    Me: "Well, this isn't the case in my experience."

    Sister-in-law changes the subject.

    Which isn't necessary, since Sister never asks what my experience is.

    Oh! the characters in our lives. I love your unfiltered stories!


    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're feeling better!

    There's a tutorial for you on my blog. Hope you like it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy,
    You would never take advantage. If everyone was like you, there would be more to go around for everyone. I know it's a hard pill for you to swallow, but I'm glad you have this opportunity. I hate canned potatoes, though. :) it's a good idea to put them in with the roast.

    H wanted me to tell you that he saw a rose-breasted grosbeak at our feeders. We've never seen one here before. They go as far south as the mountains in Georgia but our bird book says they don't come this far east in our neck of the woods.

    It was in the low fifties here last night. That's crazy for here at this time of year. I see no problem planting early in pots. Don't let those idiots bother you. I almost never go on FB anymore. For some reason it seems to spawn a lot of negativity and passive aggression. It's not for me.

    I know a couple of Junes. They don't seem to hear themselves, but everybody else does... That is unless we can tune them out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guilty as charged...sorry I didn't mean to be negative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy.....I've had lunches like that before. I just grin and bear it, but never go back for more.
    Love your pictures...Balisha

    ReplyDelete