title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Are we all counting down the hours?


Not so much here.  It's kind of sad.  Christmas was my favorite holiday for half my life.  It was so much fun, when my kids were young.  I got more excited than they did--I think.



I'd start in mid-November to put lights up on every bush in the front yard and climbed out the bedroom window to get up on the roof to anchor a big lighted star to the TV antennae and hang lights on the eaves of the house.  I had a garage door cover of the Nativity scene, but instead of putting it on the garage, I stapled it to a large piece of plywood and placed it in a small grove of trees we had, with a spot light on it.  We even had our home featured in the local paper one year.



The inside of the house was bejeweled too.  A real tree touched the ceiling.  Red and gold decoration and candles on every flat surface, or some years, blue and silver.  Lighted candles on timers, in all 30 windows...even the dining room chandelier was wrapped in tinsel and glass balls.  I had a long mirror that I put on top of the piano and laid clear lights along the surface, with a green garland and pieces of crystal to catch the light and sparkle.



Even when the grand babies started coming, it was exciting.  We got together on Christmas Eve with my folks and on Christmas Day, went to my in-laws for our celebration there.



Then, the divorce happened.  We still got together on Christmas Eve with my Dad, at The Farm house where my sister now lives.  Then, my Dad died, but we still got together on Christmas Eve.  Then, the grand kids grew up and it was difficult to get everyone together on Christmas Eve.



So, last year it was on the 21st and this year on the 28th.



BAH HUMBUG!!!

=====================
I used to have a website with children's stories on it.  I had a lot of traffic on that site and it was a good place to advertise when I had one of my children's illustrated books published.  I had a teacher who e-mailed me and asked permission to print out and use some of the stories in her 1st grade classroom.


Then, over the years, it kind of died out, so I took it down.  Luckily, I had all the stories and illustrations saved in Word documents and picture files.



I decided to make a book for GGrand daughter Della for Christmas this year.  As I progressed along, editing and printing, I realized the book was going to be too big.  I had 197 pages!



I had a lot of short 2-3 pages stories and a few funny poems and then a longer story about adventures of a Scarecrow and another 3 different stories about a little girl named Emmy.  Plus, I had written 3 stories of biographical things from me growing up on a farm in the 40's and 50's.



So, I had 3 different books bound at the print shop yesterday.


I went searching on Google Images trying to find something for the Emmy book and I found a pencil drawing that looks so much like Della.  She might not notice, but I'll bet her Mom will.

I patterned the Emmy stories after my child self.  Della is a strong willed little girl, much as I was as a child.  The only difference, I got spanked when I acted that way.  LOL
=============
.......and the beat goes on around here.  I'm just looking forward to the new year.  Why it has any significance is beyond me.  It is just another day, but I like the way "twenty-twenty" sounds when I say it.  2019 was a bad year for me, so I guess I'm pinning my hopes on 2020.

Later....................................



10 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you have of Christmas past! Nothing ever stays the same, does it? It’s a challenge to change with the years and the dynamics of getting family together. I love hearing about your decorations and feel like I got a glimpse of it all in my mind’s eye.
    Now, the 3 books look amazing. What a clever creative writer you are. Artistic with words as well as decorating.
    I think we find joy where and when we can in these changing times. It doesn’t have to be on a particular day because we can celebrate Christmas every day.....
    I’m looking forward to 2020, too!
    Merry Christmas to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have wonderful holiday memories and I know you hold them near and dear to your heart as you should.

    Your books will be treasured family heirlooms. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, let's have a better year in 2020. I too am hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you will have a family gathering .... no matter what day! Once you add spouses and then children and then grandchildren and then GREAT grandchildren ... that days must be shared!

    I'm looking forward to 2020 for 20/20

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Judy. In case you haven't checked..Ernestine's daughter posted about her Mom.
    Have a look at her blog.
    Cheers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as you keep this blog going you will always have company Judy. It is one I always look forward to reading; I love hearing about your neighbours and your honest opinion on the ups and downs of life. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're feeling better now! We're not doing anything. The kids will come one day this week, I'm sure. I'm not up to going there this year. Maybe we'll grab a sandwich and chips or something. I know--not exciting, huh! It'll be okay. We'll see each other, and oh---I'll have another great-grandson by tomorrow night! Henry's 17 months old and his brother, Connor, will join him. Surprise for Henry!
    Enjoy your day and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure Della will cherish those books when she is older! Our Christmas with the kids is on the 27th this year. Seems like everyone is too busy these days! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful gift! I have been reading back on some of your posts to
    catch up. Our Christmas's have changed over the years some are good changes some not so much. Instead of seeing my family on Christmas eve we have have friends in for dinner. They bring some of it I provide some of it. I don't see my family at all my parents are gone and we all live far from each other. But just having those friends in makes all the difference. Doesn't cost much as they bring things and after they leave we go to midnight mass. Christmas morning we head to my daughters with a shared Christmas with her in-laws again different but nice. I hope the new year finds you healthy and happy .
    Merry Christmas
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. These things change for all of us, I think. We always went to our parent's house on Christmas Eve, and back there again on Christmas. After they were gone, then it was to Patti's house on Christmas Eve. And, as you know Ben died and nothing has ever been the same. :(

    I hope you will enjoy the family (I guess that was today). I'm sure those grandson's will be happy to get their spaghetti sauce.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete