title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, November 27, 2017

Weekend

My Gosh!!!

I practically over dosed on sports over the weekend.  They even had games on Friday!!
College football games--even basketball games.  There was a basketball tournament that my Michigan State Spartans played in Friday, Saturday and Sunday---in Portland, Oregon.

Do you know how late those games came on back here?  10:30 the 1st night, Midnight the 2nd night and (not so bad) 8:30 last night.  I watched all of them and..............WE WON THE TOURNEY!!!

Saturday football--Michigan State beat Rutgers and Ohio State beat Michigan.  YAY!!!!!!  Auburn beat Bama!!!  Now that's done until the play-offs and then the Bowl games.

Then basketball starts in earnest and continues all winter until March Madness.

I have to admit, I got a little sick and tired of sitting there watching.

But I have that nice loooooooooong winter cross stitch project to keep me company.

Oh, BTW--I don't watch professional football or basketball--only College.
--------------------------
Today, I got my 452 thousand Christmas Cards created and done.  I have Hallmark Card software.  All during the year, I use it for making birthday cards.  I like it because I can personalize the cards with the person's name or put a small written text inside.

At Christmas time, I pick one card that I like and use that to send to friends.  Those that live away, I tuck in a little note.

Then, I find individual cards for family members--kids, grandkids, great grandkid.  I try and pick out cards that have a verse that is what that person is like, then I personalize it with their name.

I started doing this years ago to save money.  Every year, I sent out printed photo cards--they got a little pricey over the years. With these cards, I can insert a photo on the page.  

The printed Christmas cards I used to buy in boxes seemed expensive and we all know how much a birthday card can cost nowadays.

Seriously?  I probably don't save a thing on the Christmas cards, because I have to buy card stock and greeting card envelopes, but....you know how I love to write and create things on my computer, so the joy I get out of doing this, far outweighs the cost of a pack of card stock paper and a box of envelopes.

What was my father's favorite saying?  Oh yes.  "A fool and his money are soon parted."
----------------------
50 degrees and sunny today and maybe up to 60 tomorrow.  The last yard waste pick-up tomorrow.  As a person that obeys the rules...  hence, my little bundle of branches are broken up in 4' lengths and tied securely with string.  


15 comments:

  1. I hope we never end up sharing a room in a nursing home because I would hate your weekends of sports on TV. I'd probably smother you in your sleep. And I'm sure my addiction to 24/7 news would drive you to want to do the same to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for making your own cards. I wish I was that creative and energetic. Sitting at the computer for that long makes me weary just thinking about it. I do send Christmas cards, although last year when I received only a handful, I considered not doing it any more. I have some on hand so will use them as I feel lead to send. I hand write each one as well as the addresses. We received our first card over the weekend from a long time friend, now retired, who still uses Thanksgiving break to do her cards. She uses photo cards and prints the address labels from her computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my hand tremor, I can't write legibly anymore, so I too print the address labels on my computer.

      Delete
  3. I am not in to sports but I know many that are :) You are very creative in regards to the cards ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Deb--I grew up and later married and lived with only one TV in the house. That TV was tuned to whatever the Man of the House wanted to watch. I do dislike Pro sports and so I don't watch any of those, but then again--what else is there for an old woman living alone to do on a weekend? Watch TV and cross stitch or crochet.

      Delete
  4. 452,000 cards? Did I read that wrong? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always my exaggeration number Sal.
      Sometimes it's 452K people in the store, or 452,000 leaves on my lawn. Got it?

      Delete
  5. There is nothing foolish about spending money on doing something that brings you so much joy! I used to make cards too, and I loved to personalize them. One time I made and sent a card to my MIL with a picture of me and Rich waving and all it said was "Just wanted to say HI"! She loved it and it hung on her refrigerator and then her bulletin board in the nursing home for the rest of her life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! You get it then. I did a similar thing when Fred's Mom was in the nursing home in Wisconsin.

      Delete
  6. That's a whole lot of sports watching!!! But being happy with the outcomes, is super.

    Same here... No professional football or basketball. The switch away from pro football came, because of the "take a knee" stupidity. He has not cared for pro basketball, in a long time.

    He doesn't even want to watch college football, anymore. A lot of crap goes on, with them too, I guess.

    We have enjoyed a season of area HS football, on tv!!! Both of us. Me too!!!!! Hate to see it end.

    Then he follows University of Conn. ladies basketball. They have started but we haven't seen one on tv yet. Their coach is grrrrreat, and always has a great team of players.

    Oh and yes, do things like the cards, which give you pleasure doing them! We get our pleasure, where we can!!!!!

    For me, I always hated Christmas cards, so when I stopped, it was such a RELIEF. To each her/his own. Always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UCONN women's basketball as well as Tennessee, has had great coaches over the years and thus, winning teams. High school football is more exciting to watch, then college football. As for PRO--it is too cut and dried for me. I quit watching long before the Take a knee fiasco started. I will watch the Super Bowl though--because that's all that is on TV that day. LOL

      Delete
  7. i am curious about the card program, if you could share the information with me!!!

    we don't watch sports really - but i love your enthusiasm for them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could ever have loved football, my husband killed it for me. He's not quite as frenetic about it now, at 70 years old, but I've lived through enough games to last me 10 lifetimes! (Actually more!)

    I used to send over 100 Christmas cards each year. Some I painted, and all I used Calligraphy for signing and addressing. Last year, I never felt up to doing or sending a one. So, I didn't even send the few I'd finished. I thought I'd send some 50-some this year, but I have tremors like you. The cost of pretty boxed cards, and $0.49 per stamp is kind of taking the joy out. I'll have to hurry to do it, but I just don't enjoy it anymore, except for the shut-ins I know. I'm only going to put up the small nativity I've had for about 50 years and perhaps the ceramic, lighted tree we've for 40! Hoping more Christmas joy will settle in as December is going to come and quickly.

    ReplyDelete