title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Just A Way of Life

Is having credit cards, just a way of life?  It seems to be that way nowadays.  Of course, since I filed for bankruptcy a year ago, I haven't had any.  Cash on the barrel head, so to speak.  Actually it has been a huge relief for me.  I am back to my old way of life by saving for whatever I wanted.

"Wanted"--that is the operative word here.  NEEDED?  Quite something else.  There comes emergencies.  Car repairs.  Dental bills.  Doctor bills.  Luckily, I have been able to pay my medical and dental bills by sending them $50.00 a month and they were happy with that.  Car repairs?  Couldn't do it.  The particular service garage I use does not offer a time payment system.  Credit card or check.

About six months ago I received a credit card offer--to rebuild my credit (which two years ago was at a FICO of 800).  Of course, with that kind of card, there is an annual fee and a huge interest rate of 22.99%.  My credit limit was $500.00.  I was accepted and used it for my first of 5 car repairs--much needed front brakes.  I would be granted a higher credit limit if I paid the minimum payment and on time.

From knowledge I got somewhere from someone--Suze Orman maybe?--it is better to make a bit higher amount than the minimum payment, earlier than the payment date.

Which I did.  The minimum payment was $35.00.  I paid $50.00 each month.  In the charges each month were the annual fee, divided by 12 and that damn high interest rate.  BUT my credit limit has now been raised to $1,500.00.

Yesterday, I received a Capitol One offer for a card with a $3,000.00 credit limit, NO annual fee, NO APR on purchases for a year.

AHA!

From knowledge I got somewhere from someone, I will do a credit card transfer and use the new card to pay off the older card and pay it off, on the new before the APR kicks in.

Then that credit car will remain in my top desk drawer.  Not to be used for anything, except an emergency.

BUT with knowledge I got somewhere from someone--never let the card be paid off entirely.  To build up my credit rating, When it gets near zero, I need to use it.  Like put $100.00 charge on it and make a payment on it every month.  Consistency in paying is the key to all of this.

I am saving monthly with cash in my Car Repairs envelope.  I figure by March,  I will be able to get BOTH #4 and 5 on the repair list done.  $1,200.00. Cash on the barrel head.

It will take years and years to get my interest rate lowered, but my FICO score is going up, near 700 now.  It was at 600, after my bankruptcy.  

I know it may sound weird, but to me, it feels good to have a card, "in case" and barring any unforeseen  "NEEDS", like a funeral, or a new roof, or a car transmission, that got me in trouble three years ago, I should be fine.  

Security.  That's all this old person really needs and with my new found part-time job and an "in case" credit card, I FEEL IT!!!!

It's been a long hard road these last, nearly, four years!

I want to thank all of you who helped me.  You fed me.  You clothed me.  You sent me stamps.  You sent me checks.  

Sounds like something Jesus said to do.  They all came in the nick of time, so to speak.  Took away some of my pride, but filled my heart with love.

I pray God continually blesses all of you for your generosity to me and now, I can pay it forward!

A $20 here, a $10 there, a ball or two of yarn to make a pair of slippers for a friend or strangers need. A few bucks in the Red Kettle.  I haven't been able to do that for the last few years.
=========================
My sister called me on her way home from her colonoscopy.  Everything is fine--a bit of scar tissue from her cesarean 39 years ago and one teeny diverticulitis pocket, that the pain is coming from.  The minute she did the "prep" all the pain went away.

So glad she is fine.  I knew she would be, but it was so thoughtful of her to call me right away.

13 comments:

  1. Glad you sister is fine.

    I once had a credit card I didn't use much and they canceled it because I didn't use it. Made me mad. I know what you mean about having one making you feel secure. I have one I use for gas because you get a discount with it. I have another I used for mail-order prescriptions and a third for anything I order online, but locally I still use cash and checks. I never heard that about always keeping a balance on them. I never do. How do you find out your FICA score? I don't know mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some credit card companies show your FICA score on your statement. I know Discover does. Or you can get it free from all three credit FICA places, on-line. Credit Karma is supposed to be free--I never tried that one.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Jean--should be FICO score. I spelled it wrong.

      Delete
    4. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to find it. LOL

      Delete
    5. Sorry. Just Google FICO score and many places will pop up to find yours.

      Delete
  2. It is so nice to have that secure feeling, isn't it? Been there done that many times! Glad you sister is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two credit cards. I use one a lot and the other once or twice a month to keep it "open" ... but I never keep a balance. Paid in full every month. Like you ... a day ahead. I think I learned that from my parents!

    HOORAY for a bit of security!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy news for Susan - YAY!

    Speaking of credit cards; I had an uncle who was a widower, he passed away without a will and the balances of the cards were dropped.

    I'm glad you doing better now financially, Judy. Such a big relief. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Freddie passed, he didn't have a Will because he didn't have anything. I didn't have to pay his last hospital bill. I DID have to pay the charge cards because, anything he needed was put on MY charge cards because he had none. Then I put his $6.500.00 funeral on my card and his kids were paying me back, until they weren't. Not Freddies fault. Mine AGAIN because I was stupid! I left my second husband with $10,000.00 in debt because I paid off a debt for him. He was paying me back, but when I fled for my life, I didn't get any more money from him. I paid for another man's dental work to the tune of $2,500.00. He was paying me back, until he broke up with me. I am NOT stupid with money, but I am REAL STUPID WHEN IT COMES TO MEN!!!!! That will never happen again!

      Delete
  5. I used to check my credit and FICA every year at Experian or one of the others. It was free, but I haven't done it for awhile. It's always good to have a credit card, and pay it on time every month. I know several people who could benefit from this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've started a new job and just catching up with you. So glad you are doing well. Glad the water heater was just a fluke. Hugs, to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete